ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   Abstracts and Articles (http://www.ispine.org/forum/abstracts-articles/)
-   -   Surgical Implants Coated with One of 'Nature's Antibiotics' Could Prevent Infection (http://www.ispine.org/forum/abstracts-articles/1287-surgical-implants-coated-one-natures-antibiotics-could-prevent-infection.html)

Justin 02-05-2009 02:08 AM

Surgical Implants Coated with One of 'Nature's Antibiotics' Could Prevent Infection

Surgical implants coated with one of 'nature's antibiotics' could prevent infection

1st on the web (February 3, 2009)
February 2009

Researchers at the University of British Columbia have discovered a mimic of one of "nature's antibiotics" that can be used to coat medical devices to prevent infection and rejection.

The study, published in the Jan. 30 issue of Chemistry & Biology, found that a synthetic form – short tethered cationic antimicrobial peptides (cationic peptide) – can protect surfaces, killing bacteria and fungi that come into contact with them. The discovery could lead to new protection for surgical implants, catheters, hip replacements and joint prostheses.

“The rapid progress of biomedical technology and an aging population places increasing demands on medical implants to treat serious tissue disorders and replace organ function,” Robert Hancock, principal investigator and Canada Research Chair in Pathogenomics and Antimicrobials at UBC’s Department of Microbiology and Immunology, said in a press release. “These cationic peptides are currently being developed as soluble antibiotics for administration to patients to combat infection. We have developed a new method for finding a variety of effective peptides that can bind to a surface and still kill harmful bacteria and fungus.”

Link

Chemistry & Biology
Volume 16, Issue 1, 30 January 2009, Pages 58-69

Screening and Characterization of Surface-Tethered Cationic Peptides for Antimicrobial Activity

Kai Hilpert1, 6, Melissa Elliott1, Håvard Jenssen1, Jason Kindrachuk1, Christopher D. Fjell1, Jana Körner2, Dirk F.H. Winkler3, Lindsay L. Weaver4, Peter Henklein5, Anne S. Ulrich6, Sandy H.Y. Chiang1, Susan W. Farmer1, Nelly Pante4, Rudolf Volkmer2 and Robert E.W. Hancock1, ,

1. Centre for Microbial Diseases and Immunity Research, University of British Columbia, 2259 Lower Mall Research Station, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3, Canada
2. Institut für Medizinische Immunologie, Universitätsklinikum Charité, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Hessische Str. 3-4, 10117 Berlin, Germany
3. Peptide Array Facility of the Brain Research Centre, University of British Columbia, 2211 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC V6T 2B5, Canada
4. Department of Zoology, University of British Columbia, 6270 University Boulevard, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4, Canada
5. Institut für Biochemie, Universitätsklinikum Charité, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Monbijoustrasse 2, 10117 Berlin, Germany
6. Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Institute of Biological Interfaces, POB 3640, 76021 Karlsruhe, Germany

Summary

There is an urgent need to coat the surfaces of medical devices, including implants, with antimicrobial agents to reduce the risk of infection. A peptide array technology was modified to permit the screening of short peptides for antimicrobial activity while tethered to a surface. Cellulose-amino-hydroxypropyl ether (CAPE) linker chemistry was used to synthesize, on a cellulose support, peptides that remained covalently bound during biological assays. Among 122 tested sequences, the best surface-tethered 9-, 12-, and 13-mer peptides were found to be highly antimicrobial against bacteria and fungi, as confirmed using alternative surface materials and coupling strategies as well as coupling through the C and N termini of the peptides. Structure-activity modeling of the structural features determining the activity of tethered peptides indicated that the extent and positioning of positive charges and hydrophobic residues were influential in determining activity.

Author Keywords: CHEMBIO; MICROBIO

Copyright © 2009 Elsevier Ltd All rights reserved.

Terry Allen Blackburn 02-07-2009 03:50 PM

This looks promising. I have been taking antibiotics one hour before dental procedures since my 4 level ADR Surgery in November 2006. My dentist does this for all of his implant patients for three years after the surgery. I hardly ever take any antibiotics, due to the possibility of becoming resistant to them, but, this is some prevention that I do prescribe to.

Terry Newton

treefrog 02-07-2009 05:32 PM

This does look very promising. I wonder how long the antimicrobial/antifungal activity lasts? Is the mechanism of action such that the peptides can be used over and over? I'm not that great at understanding biochemistry. When I get to work, I'll try to remember to see if I can get the full article and see if I can get more information.

jentop 02-17-2009 11:33 PM

Antibiotics before dental?

This is news to me. I am today 3 weeks post-op for 2 level Prodisc-C by Dr. Bertagnoli. I am doing great at this point. I saw this post about the prophylactic ABs and wonder what the reasoning is as it relates to prostheses in the spine. I am scheduled for some minor dental work in the near future, including replacing a temporary crown with a permanent one-after finishing up my Invisalign process shortly. (Had I known I'd be getting a nice scar on my neck I wouldn't have made my teeth so straight and white as it will only draw attention to my face and neck, lol-vanity will get you in trouble!)
I don't think my dentist would know what to do either way...

ans 04-08-2009 10:15 AM

Thanks! Very cool stuff. Not that I fully understand it. Maybe Maria, other nurses, or Justin (who we know has lotsa time to do so could interpret for me). Nah, I get the point. :)

JKDE302 10-25-2009 02:06 AM

interesting...

interesting...:D