Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Abstracts and Articles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Abstracts and Articles Discuss New Opiod Medication in the Main forums forums; A new opiod medication has just been approved by the FDA called Nucynta (tapentadol). From what I understand it is ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 05:41 PM

Default New Opiod Medication

A new opiod medication has just been approved by the FDA called Nucynta (tapentadol). From what I understand it is the first single compound to work on both the opiate and norepinephrine receptors.

You can find more information on Wikipedia or their websiteHome Page

I would like to bring up discussion on this drug because increasingly studies are showing that antidepressants can cause dependency and I doubt there is much information on dependancy issues with this drug yet.
VATS thoracic fusion @ T3-4 and T6-7 on 9/11/09
Fusion w/cage @ C7-T1 on 11/12/09
Old 10-25-2009, 09:27 AM

Default interesting!

I will ask my new pain doctor this Tuesday about this drug.

I wonder how damaging it's cognitive effects are compared to oxy or Avinza.

From Nucynta people:

Home Page

I wonder how effective this is against neuropathic pain:

Diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain reduced from severe to mild with tapentadol ER ? DiabetesPro ? American Diabetes Association
Old 10-25-2009, 08:12 PM

Default in comparison to..

I also an interested in hearing how anyone on this medication feels they are cognitively functioning as well as physically.

I have really good relief with the pain medication and dose that I'm on however I feel that cognition is impaired. Of course it could also be long term use of Neurontin as well~ 1800mg/day since 1998.

thanks for bringing this drug info up
Old 10-25-2009, 09:32 PM

I want a sample...
C4-5: Mild disc height loss with central annular fissure. Small broad-based left paracentral disc protrusion. Moderate central canal stenosis-the disc protrusion abuts and mildly flattens the left ventral surface of the spinal canal.

C5-6: Disc desiccation with mild height loss.Diffuse discosteophyte bulge and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, moderate central canal stenosis- Severe neuroforaminal stenosis bilaterally, right greater than left.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:12 AM

I'm gonna ask a psychiatrist if it has any good mood stuff that goes along with SSRI/SNRI's, along with confirmation from my pain control doc if it really has efficacy compared to Cymbalta in controlling neuropathic pain. I didn't read it but if it's like Cymbalta, the sexual side effects (for me, > 25mg/but did you ask?) suck.

I don't care about dependency; I just want 3/10 pain and the ability to focus on thought-intensive tasks. (And to be 27 again).

Best..
Old 10-29-2009, 08:18 AM

Sounds very promising, but it will likely take years before it is approved outside of the US, especially in Canada. We are usually at least two years behind you in things like this

I'd be very interested in the feedback on it though.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:14 PM

I perused one thread at Medscape discussions about this rx. Not the best results for intense pain, and bummer, I think it needs to be taken every 4 hours which is bad for sleep and a PITA. I'll double-check.