ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   Community Support - NSR (http://www.ispine.org/forum/community-support-nsr/)
-   -   Computer Virus (http://www.ispine.org/forum/community-support-nsr/1174-computer-virus.html)

mmglobal 12-13-2008 08:16 PM

Computer Virus

I've had computers since they were made out of stone and have NEVER been hit with a virus like this. It's a very sophisticated, multi-pronged attack. I believe I know how I got it. A website said I needed the newest version of Flash and I wasn't paying enough attention and agreed. I did not see the results right away, and there was a legitimate windows update about the same time too.

Later that day, after a reboot, all starts of any web browser gave me warnings of unsafe internet browsing and tried to force me to a website to purchase "perfect defender". Frequent popups about viruses occurred that also forced me to this website.

Internet searches for any clue I had came up with hundreds of hits. These websites and forum posts (some on legitimate forums) yielded info on how this virus comes from 'russian scammers' and HERE ARE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO REMOVE IT. These seeming legitimate instructions all included steps about downloading a program, that I'm sure is part of the scam.

I'm biting the bullet and nuking the computer. More than a day will be lost.

Unfortunately, I had temporarily disabled my virus protection as I was dealing with performance issues as I upgraded to Office 2007 Enterprise and Windows Search. I assume that the program would have kept me out of it. In any case, I'm going to change the way I do my updates.

All updaters will be be used only for notifications of pending updates. When I learn of updates, I'll manually go to the appropriate website... never following onscreen instructions to click for an update. I'll also be smarter about 'temporarily' disabling protection software.

What a frustrating waste of time this all turns out to be. I hope that my warning saves someone the same headache.

All the best.

Mark

PS... emails warning of viruses that say to forward to your friends are more likely to be viruses that helpful info!

martyusa 12-14-2008 12:09 AM

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3 - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

Download FREE antivirus software - avast! Home Edition
After a couple of months of trial they will send you a license for free.

Between those and my ZoneAlarm Z100G router, I have never had a problem.

A virus is a nasty and malicious attack on an innocent individual for no apparent reason. I can't stand it.....Sorry to hear about the headache, Mark.

guymontag 12-14-2008 03:06 AM

If anyone else ever finds themselves in this situation, you can try

smitfraudfix
SmitFraudFix

roguefix
Roguefix - Rogue scanner & Fake warning removal tool

both these applications are free and perfectly safe. Essentially they have been created by individuals to remove rogue antispyware programs. I use these all the time in our computer business.

You may also like to use a program called.

Superantispyware
SUPERAntiSpyware.com - AntiAdware, AntiSpyware, AntiMalware!
again its free and works very well in conjumction with your antivirus package.

Terry Allen Blackburn 01-16-2009 01:59 AM

The virus that Mark is talking about is so sophisticated it wipes out your ability to install any form of anti-virus software and, the only fix I have found is a complete re-installation of everything after a wipe-out of the hard drive. I have two of my employees that have gotten this on their computers. We tried everything to remove it and were humbled by the experience.

I hope you had better luck than I did.

Terry Newton

kmevans 01-20-2009 01:14 AM

hijack this is a great program for naughty viruses but you have to know what you are doing to use it. Never encountered a virus yet that required me to re-format, though sometimes it would have been easier. But I have worked in IT for well over a decade :)

good luck.

calmwin is a great free antivirus program, low profile.