ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   Community Support - NSR (http://www.ispine.org/forum/community-support-nsr/)
-   -   What's awesome in your life right now? (http://www.ispine.org/forum/community-support-nsr/1204-whats-awesome-your-life-right-now.html)

Justin 01-15-2009 07:15 PM

What's awesome in your life right now?

What's awesome in your life right now? Big or small...

I'll start...

1) I'm setting up a month rotation in Belize. It's going to be great--wilderness/remote/expedition, tropical/jungle, survival medicine. I can't wait...plus, I'll get some much needed SCUBA in!

2) My twin brother is working on a film in Italy as we speak...watch out Spielberg!

mmglobal 01-15-2009 08:56 PM

1) 22 month-old Zoey Kate is beyond amazing. She is a constant joy that I cannot adequately describe. Why don't they tell us that grandparenthood is so great??? I would have started having kids way earlier.

2) Diane and I have been together for 33 years now. While life can be a struggle, we struggle together. She is wonderful and is absolutely the best thing that ever happened to me. I'm as lucky as anyone can get in this department.

3) Jason (25), Susan (23), Lauren (20) all happy, healthy, heads screwed on straight. I'll attribute this more to Diane and to dumb luck than to my parenting skills... but it has been wonderful to watch them all grow into competent adults.

4) My parents are still active and vital and are able to participate in all of our lives. I know how lucky we are to have not only an extended family, but one that is so loving, honorable, generous, etc... I did good in the parents department too (again, my great dumb luck.) If I am as good a parent to my children as they have been to me, then I've done well.

5) It's been 11 years since my accident, 10 years since I've been skydiving, 9 years since my 1st surgery, 6 years since coming back to life! What's awesome in my life is that it's been > 6 years since I've taken opiates for pain beyond a random vicodin, and never for my lumbar spine. After 2 failed spine surgeries and years of chronic pain and constant opiates for pain, I never thought I'd know what a normal life looks like. While I'm not perfect, I'm a thousand times better than I ever thought I'd be!

6) GPN is now > 5 years old. I've had employees for > 4 years and have been in commercial office space for 2.5 years. I cannot express how greuling it is to work with chronic pain patients for 60 hours/week. What's awesome is how rewarding it is to do the work that I do. I am truly blessed to be able to do this for a "living".

Great post Justin!

All the best,

Mark

Terry Allen Blackburn 01-16-2009 02:11 AM

We just opened a new Outpatient Clinic that is named after our benevolent benefactor that passed away a year ago. Our Outpatient Staff are as happy as all get out.

We have a new office manager that is doing an awesome job of collecting revenue to keep the operation afloat.

We have 32 wonderful, dedicated employees that work hard to help the patients we serve.

I am over two years out from my four level spinal disc replacement. I feel like I am back to living a life.

I am grateful to have a job in this tough economic climate.

I continue to serve in many social change organizations that give my life meaning in the ability to help others. This is one of the most awesome rewards I have in my life. I feel really good, with the wonderful opportunities that God puts me in, to add my own little humble piece in the world around me.

I have a woman, who has been in my life for 24 years, and she completes me. In spite of the fact that we argue at times, I feel like my life has been better because of her.

I have a fabulous extended family.

I have friends that give my life meaning and help me to become closer to God.

I just celebrated 29 years of sobriety on January 7, 2009.

What more can a person ask for.

Thank-you for this post Justin. It is a nice reminder that there are many roses amongst the thorns. :)

Terry Newton

Kathy 01-16-2009 01:56 PM

I am truly blessed!

I have a Savior, Jesus, who died for me. My sins are washed away and I will one day get to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. This is nothing I could ever "earn"; because I am completely unworthy and undeserving. When I finish my journey here and go to Heaven, I will be pain free and on the best "vacation" forever; at absolutely no cost to me. This is the best gift I have ever received and ever will receive.

I have a wonderful husband, whom I've been married to for 6 years. We love and respect each other. With every rough patch and struggle we have been through and will go through, we grow closer. I love that man, more than I ever thought I could love anyone. I am forever grateful to God for bringing him into my life and letting me be his wife everyday. He selflessly works hard everyday, so that I may live my dream of being at stay at home mommy. He values his family and makes sure that we have quality family time together. He puts up with me day in and day out, and still loves me.

I get to have dinner at the dining table with my husband and daughters everynight.

My daughters are one of the best things that ever happened to me. They love unconditionally. They sit on my lap every morning and snuggle with me. I get told that I am "the best mommy in the world" everyday by them. I get to kiss fat, sweet cheeks everyday. I get the privelege of being their mommy every day; I'm so glad that God picked me for them.

God has given me a wonderful best friend who understands me and empathizes with what I am going through. She will laugh with me, cry with me and does not judge me. Our children get along and our 'best friends'. She seflessly helps me all the time, with nothing expected in return. I am so glad that God brought us together.

Both of my parents and step-parents are in excellent health. I have still have 2 living grandmothers, who are in good health. My mom lives 5 minutes from me, my dad is 20 minutes away, my in-laws are 20 minutes away, my brothers are 5 minutes away, my brother in law is 10 minutes away, with all my extended family being 30 minutes away. I am so blessed to have all of my family so close and getting to see them frequently. My daughters get to see all their grandparents at least weekly. My parents are not just my parents; but my friends.

I have a wonderful group of friends, that are all very close to me. We encourage each other in the different phases of life we are in. When I feel like quitting and throwing in the towel, they lift me up and bring perspective to me. They love the Lord with all their hearts. I get to go to Bible study with them.

I am approved for ADR and can see the light at the end of tunnel. I am still mobile and not bed bound. With all that I can't do, there is so much that I can do.

I am completely blessed and so undeserving of the wonderful life that I have.

SandyW 01-16-2009 05:45 PM

My absolutely, fabulous husband of 47 yrs this March. Have to say we fought like cats and dogs those early years. I've mellowed and don't have to be the "boss", he's grown up. Don't know how I would have managed the past few years, he spoils me. We survived a devastating boat accident in the 70's, 4 friends died, we were the only survivors. A story we should someday write.

A thoughtful daughter who is a recovering alcoholic. She is doing so well after many years of horrible trials and tribulations. A boyfriend who committed suicide while she was on a skiing trip with his parents to a canceled wedding when she discovered he was addicted to "strip clubs" and had 5 DUI's, and too many things in between. How can a person with a genius IQ and good looks have no self confidence and pick such winners. She still holds a fabulous job and has become a friend as well as a loving daughter. I have a little grandpuppy, Buster Brown, who gives our daughter the "absolute" love she so wants.

A happy-go-lucky son who has lots of confidence and a successful career and who gives us so much joy. Has managed to skip thru life with no problems. Good marriage. You know the saying, catch more flies with honey rather than vinegar? Son is the honey, daughter the vinegar, bless her kind heart.

Two beautiful granddaughters (son's), 22 and 24, who will be finished with college this year. Was just informed that both are planning weddings. The oldest spends a lot of time with us, she and boyfriend both love the lake and want to be married here. Grandkids are more fun than your own, even when they are older. You can laugh at their escapades and say what goes around comes around son. They give you lots of kisses, hugs and "I love you", you can let them do things you would never have allowed your own kids to do, let them confide in you without cringing, grandpa has trouble with this. We enjoy them so much, from babies to young adults.

A loving mother who is 102 years young, her mind is great, too great? and still bosses me around :( Lives alone in a retirement community close by.

Younger sister and brother-in-law who live just down the road and a whole bunch of relatives that are a comfort to us.

Two dumb cats that I'll give away if you don't tell hubby.

A wonderful home on Lake Erie that we have worked so hard to be able to own - our dream come true. And retirement, oh but that's only from the 9 - 5 jobs. We are both manual laborers, with a backhoe to help, who love to do the dirty work (or always wanted more $'s than we had or were cheap, I say frugal).

Now we would like to be healthier and continue working as we have the first and middle years of our lives!! Who ever coined the phrase "Golden years" only had one thing in mind. LOL

We are so thankful that God has permitted us to be so "rich" in so many ways.

Sandy Wade

Justin 01-19-2009 11:17 PM

What a great community this is!

It's great to read all of the wonderful support systems we, as chronic pain patients, are so blessed to have.

Awesome: Tiffany, my wife, has another interview for Physician's Assistant school tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed for her and if you pray, throw one her way.

Justin 01-20-2009 04:53 PM

The 44th President

Awesome: President Barack Obama! :D:):D