ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   Community Support - NSR (http://www.ispine.org/forum/community-support-nsr/)
-   -   Back to the frozen tundra (http://www.ispine.org/forum/community-support-nsr/1345-back-frozen-tundra.html)

Nairek 03-04-2009 02:23 PM

Back to the frozen tundra

Well, my trip to Florida is officially over. It's back to the frozen tundra of NY BOOOOOOO!

I did push myself a little bit on the trip. We did a lot of walking which I wasn't doing much of back in NY. I am taking more pain killers here than I was back home. However, I have to say that I don't regret forcing myself to move around more. I think I really needed to do that in order to prepare my body for the prospect of going back to work soon.

I have my 6 week post op visit tomorrow morning. We'll see what the x-rays look like. I'm still a bit sore across my abdomen & still dealing with some muscle soreness. I wish my "new" pain would go away but the darn thing just refuses to back off. I know, I just have to take it easy & let my body heal. I'm just frustrated that it's taking so long though.

We took a 2 1/2 hour drive down to Southwest Florida to see my dad who I haven't seen in a few years. He was happy to see how well I was doing. I left my cane in the car since I felt well enough to walk without it. We walked a few blocks down to the beach & even with the pain meds on board, that "new" pain just gnawed at me. It's weird how it just comes & goes like a very sharp ache. I'll have to have a talk to my OS about it tomorrow.

I managed to set off the metal detectors at both airports. There's nothing like hearing someone yell "I need a female assist over here!" I just laughed. Between the cage in my back & the bone growth stimulator hanging off my belt, it's a given that I would set stuff off.

Anyway, I hope to respond to the PM's that I have received while I was gone by this weekend. Things were really crazy before we left for the trip & I just didn't have the chance to respond.

Karin

mmglobal 03-04-2009 09:20 PM

Kim, say hi to Dr. Bitan for me! It sounds like you are doing well to take such a trip at 6 weeks out.

I'll have to try that "I need a female assist here" thing. You are so lucky... you get to see snow.

Mark

Nairek 03-08-2009 04:31 PM

Mark,
I told Dr. Bitan that you said hello and he asked me how I knew you. I told him about your website here & he said "well tell him I said hello as well". Ahhh a man of very few words..... ;)

The airports were definitely interesting. There's nothing like getting your hands & bone growth stimulator swabbed with paper to see if you have bomb residue on either of them. The airport in Tampa had this huge tube thing that I stepped in which did a scan like a C/T scan. That was pretty cool. It's amazing to see just how far we've come in technology to try & protect our country from terrorism.

Anyway, I'll post my 6 week post-up follow up in my surgery thread soon. There have been some changes. Some good, some bad. :(

Karin

Terry Allen Blackburn 03-09-2009 12:15 AM

Nice to see you taking trips Karin. That is definitely a change for the better. Keep smiling and the world smiles with you. :D

Terry Newton

Maria 03-10-2009 06:57 PM

re the airport check in Tampa

Karin,
I had to go thru that as well tho I was told I was *randomly chosen* to go thru it and then searched. Hmmm.. I still think it was my 3 seat plane tickets for myself that triggered randomly choosing me.

Oh well it was nothing and I didn't really care. I like the Tampa airport very much because it's quite easy to get around in and people are helpful there~ besides the fact I fly in and out there about twice a year or so I'm familiar with the a/p.

Now my father says it's getting hot there so it must be pretty nice. After April/May the weather turns hot and moving into beastly humidity in the summer time so you timed your trip *just right*!

Hope you stay warm now!;)