ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   Community Support - NSR (http://www.ispine.org/forum/community-support-nsr/)
-   -   Anyone notice pain much worse at night? (http://www.ispine.org/forum/community-support-nsr/1443-anyone-notice-pain-much-worse-night.html)

ans 04-13-2009 12:33 AM

Anyone notice pain much worse at night?

Hi. Am going thru a bout and I noticed this. I wonder if I'm alone in this and if it's merely idiosyncratic.

I know I'm elderly in my late 50s and hmm, maybe this is a variant of "Sundowner's Syndrome". :)

Just checking. Y'all be well and feel better. Thanks - Allan

Gil Denis 04-13-2009 01:56 AM

Yes

Hi Allan

I am in my early fifties and I feel more pain at night usually wake up in the early a.m.

I think it is because my senses are more alert, not doing any activity and my mind is more focused on the pain and nerve issues:eek:

Keeping busy helps to block out the pain.

Best of luck

Gil:)

jentop 04-13-2009 02:54 AM

I'm nearly at the half century too, so I don't think it's the old-timers syndrome. ;) But I also have worse back pain when laying down at night. Also, getting the right pillow configuration is vital for my neck, especially since my ADR surgery in January. I agree that being up and moving is the best, not only for the mental distraction during the day but it seems to allow better alignment vs. sleeping.

Terry Allen Blackburn 04-13-2009 02:12 PM

As you sleep at night your body relaxes and realigns itself. When you wake up in the morning and, start moving, it helps to get everything all limbered up and ready for the day. As the day wears on though, compression takes place, exerting more pressure on damaged discs. That is why pain is more intensified in the evening and towards night time.

When I had my first laminectomy, on my neck, in 1995, I always woke up feeling well and loosened up. By the night time I was in near tears because, gravity and compression made the nerves get stomped on much worse, causing intense pain.

So I do not think this is old-timer's disease, just gravity exerting it's pressure on us as the day wears on.

Terry Newton

ans 04-14-2009 09:25 AM

Thanks for your input. Makes perfect sense. :)

Justin 04-14-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Allen Blackburn (Post 8649)
As you sleep at night your body relaxes and realigns itself. When you wake up in the morning and, start moving, it helps to get everything all limbered up and ready for the day. As the day wears on though, compression takes place, exerting more pressure on damaged discs. That is why pain is more intensified in the evening and towards night time.

When I had my first laminectomy, on my neck, in 1995, I always woke up feeling well and loosened up. By the night time I was in near tears because, gravity and compression made the nerves get stomped on much worse, causing intense pain.

So I do not think this is old-timer's disease, just gravity exerting it's pressure on us as the day wears on.

Terry Newton

+1...Allan, I'm sorry you're experiencing increased pain. I also agree with Gil...the less active/distracted I am, the more pronounced my pain is. Good luck Allan. Are you pursuing surgical intervention again?

ans 04-14-2009 08:54 PM

Thanks Dr. J.

Never had any back surgery and kinda too poor for an ADR at L4-L5 (and nervous about that region too re: explantation).

I wish you well young man. You will truly make a great doctor (wait, you are one!). Best, Allan

Alaska 04-15-2009 08:45 PM

Achey breaky back

Hi Allan,

Got your previous message, I'll e-mail a reply separately.

Regarding night time pain, my pain increases in the early evening up until I go to bed. I call it the evening blahs, i.e. feeling very sore, irritable, and so on. During my sleep hours, I wake up every 30 minutes to 2 hours because of the constant pain. This is going on even with pain meds and sleep meds. When I wake up in the morning, I have a hard time getting out of bed because I am so stiff and sore. Sometimes I don't get out of bed until the late afternoon because of the pain.

So after blabbing forever, I would have to say after a day of moving around, I am worse off during the late hours of the day. I think this is due to the spine moving around much more in the day, than during the sleeping hours. I also think that when a person wakes up, the spine is starting to move around again after it has been in "stable" condition all night. Thus, pain is regenerated. During the day, the spine "loosens up", pain decreases, and when the end of the day comes, the cycle starts all over again.

Keep in mind, this comes from a stubborn ol' native. Ha!

Best of luck to you, Eric

ans 04-17-2009 08:08 AM

Thanks for your input Eric. I'm sorry that w/I saw you, you were in such pain. Too bad you can't get a good night's sleep.

When we get better, can I visit you in AK and murder some grizzly's? (Everyone needs a hobby). :)

Be well young man. - ans

Maria 04-25-2009 03:39 AM

pain

Is usually worse at night as I sit or lie around doing very little and then in the early a.m. when I first get up and until I take my pain meds. I think it's the arthritic pain that sort of gets me at both times.

Now if I've been overdoing at whatever then usually that's just a progressive pain that happens whenever and needs to be listened to at the same time. I've learned that often muscle relaxers seem to help me quite abit avoid or quell an acute flare up that might last a little longer if I didn't use anything.