ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   Community Support - NSR (http://www.ispine.org/forum/community-support-nsr/)
-   -   Sub and compact vehicles (http://www.ispine.org/forum/community-support-nsr/2097-sub-compact-vehicles.html)

Maria 06-15-2011 02:14 AM

Sub and compact vehicles

Thinking of a 2nd vehicle as first one while great and paid for guzzles gas beyond belief. Am not looking for BMW or Lexus grade smaller vehicle so if anyone has something small/compact that is recent and reasonable in price please comment on what model it is and what it is you like about it.

I want to look at mini coopers but they have no rear seat so while "cute" not sure it would serve my needs.

My current car is a Mitsubishi Montero Limited.. gas guzzler

mwolf2022 06-15-2011 01:56 PM

nissan altima

I have a 2009 Nissan Altima that I love as my 2nd car.Not to big or small.Great on gas and nice features for the price.

dshobbies 06-15-2011 05:42 PM

Last year Julius and I were fortunate enough to go to Europe - thank you rewards cards. We were surprised that most cars are sub-compact. In Italy, the Smart Car, the cutsy car we see around every so often, is abundant and one of the larger cars. In Capri - how I love saying that - we saw four people with luggage get into a tiny car. Though they do it out of necessity, they've proven it's doable.

I applaud your efforts Maria but what we've found is the cost of alternative fuel cars is the same over time. The initial cost of the car vs. the same gas model is higher by the cost of gas over a 5-6 year period.

My suggestion - go to Europe, buy a car made for the US, drive it around for awhile and then bring it home as a used car. :D;)

Maria 06-15-2011 08:22 PM

small cars

I liked that about Europe in terms of smaller cars being what's commonly driven there. What I like about them is the ease of zooming around and getting in and out of tight spots and also parking~ so great to park easily.

Also great for a short gal to be also be able to reach over the top of a car to wash the roof. My poor SUV never gets that done thoroughly with me washing it!

My cars were all smaller until my back started bothering me so much I couldn't stand to sit in my car for a 10 minute drive. In fact I never used to comtemplate bigger vehicles as I was always considered milage/gas until it just wasn't the overriding concern re picking out a vehicle that suited me.

Now my back doesn't bother me the way it used to and I find that I can sit in some smaller vehicle seats w/o too much discomfort if they are fairly supportive and can also hoist my rear out of the seats w/o major effort. That wasn't the case in the mid - late 90's thru 2005 or so for me!

The smart car is pretty cool and the price isn't so bad either. I've thought about buying one though I'd prefer a car with a back seat (just in case I have to lie down back there while someone else drives~ hasn't happened in quite some time tho spinal stuff does have a way of recurring as many of us know unfortunately!)!
The trip to Europe sounds GREAT all by itself!

nomorepain 07-13-2011 06:11 PM

old volvos

my favorite is my old 1973 volvo E1800es wagon, it's the most fun i have ever had, gets 35 to 38 miles on the road with my electric overdrive, of course you need to have a prodisc or 2 to drive it with 4 on the floor... :D

Maria 08-06-2011 11:54 PM

thanks all

Hope the list keeps growing! By the time I actually decide to sell my car and get another one (not necessarily a new one) it'll be awhile! I think a stick is definately out since I don't even know how to drive one!

ADR seeker 11-12-2011 06:46 PM

I drive an old Jeep Cherokee. It's a 5 speed manual with a 4 cyl 2.5 liter Iron Duke. Does OK on gas. Not much power but I like the ride and it has been reliable so far. The interior is cheaply made and spartan but I actually like that. Like a lot of American cars some things were well engineered like the motor and the body but the details are lacking.

The wife has a Toyota Matrix. She loves it. It has a lot of get up and go and is great on gas. She bough it new and now it has 130K on it. It looks new and it runs like a top. So far no repairs. It's been very reliable. It handles like a sports car. My only complaint is that it has a rough ride for me but it I didn't have spine issues I'd love this car.

Pontiac made a car called the Vibe which is the same thing. There are some minor changes on the body but it is the same car only cheaper.

Wifey always had good cars like a Toyota Avalon (expensive to repair), Saturn (loved it) Subaru (loved it)

Ford is making some good cars now. Other than Volvo the Europeans are making junk. My top picks would be anything from Toyota, Honda, or Ford. Nissans IMO are iffy and Subaru are overpriced. Kias are nice. I like the Kia Soul. If I had my druthers I would own a restored Mercedes from the 70's .

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/p...bb_0111-de.jpg

I'd like to show up at the FDA headquarters in this specially modified Chrysler Imperial. :D

Maria 11-12-2011 07:19 PM

thanks

I see so many smaller vehicles that I like now that I have to just go to some dealers and test drive them to see if I'd really want to sell my Mitsubishi Montero Limited that while a huge gas guzzler is super incredibly comfortable on my back. I walk alot, take little local buses and the light rail/train to get around when I'm not driving to pick stuff up or take a bunch of things somewhere. I like the Toyota Matrix quite a bit so wanted to check that out as well as a number of other smaller vehicles I've seen. Would probably have to rent something for a day to see if it really is "ok" for my back re driving 30 plus mins or numerous small city trips a day that end up keeping me sitting in some degree of traffic for about 20 to 30 mins at a time.

Appreciate the input!

Maria 02-08-2013 08:41 PM

my newest vehicular desire

I want a Prius! I have been riding around in a friend's and while I do find it kinda "grunty" to get out of sometimes it's not really bad at all on the ol' back even for about an hour's worth of riding. I do have a bit of grunting get out of the passenger side up against a curb .. just not like poppin' outta my Mitsu.. (aka freakin'gasguzzler)..

So now what I'm thinking is to keep the Mitsu and check 'round for a used Prius. That's subject to change however~ depends. Hard to give up a vehicle I can "slide" out of the seat (cuz I'm 5'2" and feet can't even reach the ground without the sideboard) and ride in so comfortably even tho it's just a big ol' gas guzzlin' tank! I still love it anyway!!!!

hamrs_62 02-15-2013 12:36 PM

I am also looking to get something I can get out of easily, I looking at maybe a ford escape, they are about the right height from the ground where I don't have to bend much to in and out of, I have problems in my neck from C-4 - C-7 so bending the neck is not pleasant, wait on determination for a fusion, compensation ins. takes forever to get anything done ::mad:

Maria 02-19-2013 01:45 PM

smaller vehicles

what I've noticed when I ride in my friends smaller vehicles is that no matter how nice the ride if I've been in the vehicle about a half hour or more when I go to get out I have to practically pull myself out of the seat esp. if parked too close to a curb. I'm only 5'2" tho at least with my SUV I can slide off the seat and get out easily and usually w/o making loud grunting noises!

Gas prices are back up tho so part that stinks!