Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Community Support - NSR
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Support - NSR Discuss physicotherapy and disc problem in the Main forums forums; Hi all. My brother is into drugs and alcohol. He met with anaccident last year and he is still under ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016, 11:35 AM

Default physicotherapy and disc problem

Hi all. My brother is into drugs and alcohol. He met with anaccident last year and he is still under treatment for that. and the addiction is something disturbing me alot. I want him to come of the addiction first, and for that I am planning to take for an addiction treatment ( https://helixhealthcaregroup.com/spectrum/ ) at Helix health care in Toronto. But will it effect his treatment for the injury? Can I take him there? Will it be good to make him undergo an addiction treatment when he is already under physiotherapy? He is having disc problems too, any suggestions for that? ?

Last edited by reon; 08-03-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:08 PM

Default re your question

I don't know anything about addiction programs where you are located though in the US they are often in house and have very strict rules so there may be no time for the physiotherapy. The other thing is that many in house addiction programs here in the US besides having strict rules have many meetings and activities plus chores the participant is supposed to be involved in so depending on where your brother is at with his rehabilitation (physical) I don't know if that too would be difficult for him or even problematic re increasing pain and maybe not getting the needed physical therapy he needs.

I personally would say to allow him to go thru with his PT as best able and maybe address the addiction problem after that. Also is he interested in addressing the addiction problem? If he is on prescription pain meds and not abusing them rather just taking them as prescribed I don't consider that an addiction.

If he's not benefiting from his PT or really doing anything with his recovery on that level plus drinking, taking recreational drugs, and/or prescription meds and wants help then it may be beneficial to get him into a program if he's willing to participate.

If he's experiencing high levels of pain and that's why he's doing drugs,drinking etc and not in a good Pain Management program I'd see about getting him into the latter if possible.

Wishing your brother better days with less pain and a good recovery all the way around and good luck helping him out. It's great that you're there and supportive! Hang in there!