ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   Community Support - NSR (http://www.ispine.org/forum/community-support-nsr/)
-   -   Favorite Quotes? (http://www.ispine.org/forum/community-support-nsr/276-favorite-quotes.html)

mmglobal 01-10-2007 04:42 AM

Favorite Quotes?

For years, I've gotten a daily email with 'a word a day'. (see www.wordsmith.org)

My favorite part of the daily email is a quote. I've kept a file of personal favorites. I thought I'd share some with you.

To start off, I chose one by Elisabeth Kubler Ross. I did a report on her in college and have fond memories of learning about alternative thinkers like her. This quote caught my eye, because it had her listed as:

-Elizabeth Kubler-Ross, psychiatrist and author (1926-)

I wondered if she was still alive and was saddened to discover that she wasn't. (http://www.elisabethkublerross.com/)

Well, to start off this new thread, and apropos of our spinal odysseys:
People are like stained glass windows: they sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light within.

-Elizabeth Kubler-Ross, psychiatrist and author (1926-2004)

CALLA 01-12-2007 06:56 PM

"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."~William Jennings Bryan

ans 01-12-2007 10:28 PM

"Don't be so humble - you are not that great".

Golda Meir, (1898-1978) to a visiting diplomat
Israeli (Russian-born) politician (1898 - 1978)

dshobbies 01-14-2007 03:43 AM

The heaviest burden is a great opportunity!

A billboard on the way to Palm Springs

mmglobal 01-14-2007 06:49 PM

Another spine one...
Email from AJ - GPN client and spine patient

All I need is another 8 years to let me put my son into Medical school. After that I can die any time with a smile. The only thing I want my son do for me is that there will be no such sign in his future clicnic office -- "payment due before service". In our Buddist culture, a medical doctor is like a pastor of an American Church, and the job God gave to him is to reduce the physical body pain of human being. The profit of making money is just a side product of gifts or thank-you from the patients... God creates us, not money.

JeffreyD 01-15-2007 07:23 PM

"I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us."

The Apostle Paul
Romans 8:18

mmglobal 01-15-2007 09:45 PM

From todays word a day... and going into my favorites file:
I believe I found the missing link between animal and civilized man. It is us.
-Konrad Lorenz, ethologist, Nobel laureate (1903-1989)

mmglobal 01-23-2007 03:32 PM

Believe it or not, these are words to live by:
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

-Hanlon's Razor

mmglobal 01-29-2007 09:29 AM

Stolen from somone's signature file on Braintalk:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow---what a ride!!'
- anonymous

and another favorite....

It's best not to be too moral.... you cheat yourself out of too much life!
- Ruth Gordon in "Harold and Maude"

mmglobal 02-19-2007 03:37 PM

Some recent additions:
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
-Bertrand Russell, philosopher, mathematician, author, Nobel laureate (1872-1970)

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked for forgiveness.
-Emo Philips, comedian (1956- )

It is better to have loafed and lost than never to have loafed at all.
-James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet.
-Roger Miller, musician
(1936-1992)

It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
-Rollo May, psychologist (1909-1994)

mmglobal 03-14-2007 07:44 PM

From today word-a-day (www.wordsmith.org)

Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian; wine and tarragon make it French. Sour cream makes it Russian; lemon and cinnamon make it Greek. Soy sauce makes it Chinese. But, garlic makes it good.
-Alice May Brock, author (1941- )

mmglobal 04-03-2007 03:53 PM

As a well spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy death.
-Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)

Blairsara 04-28-2007 10:50 PM

"I'm not prejudice. I hate everyone equally." :D

"I owe my success to having listened respectfully to the very best advice, and then going away and doing the exact opposite"

"We perceive the entire world as if taking a rapid series of shots like the separate still frames of motion picture film. These remain still until we give them motion by our process of thought, setting them moving as a projector does and creating an imitation of living reality in our minds." Henri Bergson

A good one that I read over and over when I'm frustrated about everything with my back and the constant pain:
"When life's problems seem overwhelming, it helps to look around and see what other people are coping with. You may consider yourself far more blessed than you imagined."

mmglobal 06-23-2008 10:28 PM

I was speaking to GPN client Jack a few days ago and came up with an interesting quote.

Quote:

I don't know what being waterboarded is like, but let me tell you,
after that discography, I would have told them ANYTHING they wanted to know!