ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   German Travel (for international patients) (http://www.ispine.org/forum/german-travel-international-patients/)
-   -   United's Economy Plus (http://www.ispine.org/forum/german-travel-international-patients/612-uniteds-economy-plus.html)

mmglobal 01-21-2008 09:22 PM

United's Economy Plus

I typically fly United because they have a class of service called Economy Plus. With my frequent flyer status, I get into Economy Plus for free, but you can buy a yearly membership for ($300 as of last year) that gets you plus a companion into the upgraded economy cabin.

Econony Plus has the same coach seats, but with 4-5 more inches of leg room. Because I'm over 6'3", normal coach seats are a problem. In economy plus, I can sit in a window seat with a normal sized adult asleep next to me... and get in and out of the seat without waking him up. The legroom is so generous that I no longer look for exit row seating.

To use Economy Plus, you must make sure that you are really on a United flight. If you are flying non-stop to Munich, you are most likely on Lufthansa aircraft which do not have E+.

(Having said all that, Friday I leave for Germany on Delta... $474 round trip LA-Munich.)

All the best,

Mark

fuzzy 01-23-2008 01:44 AM

couldn't resist those super cheap fares could you, Marc ;-)

I have such bad experience with Delta in the past, never again...

I too fly United and have been a "plus" patient for years, since they started offering that service. Highly recomendable, especially if you are a tall person. Its a must for a spiney and soon I will travel to Germany again and I too am temted by those super cheap fares offered by the "other" (ie not United). Should I test my ADR job to see how well I do? I am not sure yet.

Maria 02-15-2008 05:10 PM

shortie

So what do you guys recommend to a short chick who flies 3 seats coach on Delta and when looking it up re going to Germany with advance notice of course the seats in the winter season were comparable to what I pay to fly to Florida this way...

Anybody flying business class?

I just cannot imagine sitting anymore at all on transporation of any kind that is outside of an hour's ride.. even that can be quite bad on the wrong spine day.

I wish the airlines would get on with that idea of standing seats.. you know like a little bit of a tilt to them just enough to get us off our feet and relaxed..

fuzzy 03-05-2008 04:29 AM

United Business is more expensive then 3 coach seats unless you have frequent flyer miles with united. Then its either free or cheap. The seats are much better then 3 seats though and if you are realy hurting well worth it. Its more like a lazy recliner that goes totally flat compared to a seat in a bus. For me the 3 seats solution did not really work, too uneven, armrests and I really need to have my legs totally straight.

Maria 03-05-2008 02:49 PM

will check it out

w/me I need to lie on my side with bent knees or lie on back with legs bent at knee. But the idea is that the surface I'm on is flat, not like a recliner lacking lumbar support. One thing I didn't consider is that on a flight more than 5 hours my hips start to hurt from the regular coach seats when side lying and also positioning my neck becomes a pain as well. Have to use a cervical pillow (the one that goes around the neck).

What I don't like about buying multi seats is on packed flights which is common now even on Red Eye (delta) I'm constantly asked if my extra seats are taken. Used to be I would just say I purchased all 3 but now I have people staring me down wanting to see my extra tickets so I just have them ready when I say that to flash~

One time a really sweet young man (passenger) returned with extra pillows and blankets for me. That almost made me cry as people can be kinda rude about the extra seats thing...

fuzzy 11-27-2008 01:44 PM

I recently in November 08 flew United again to Germany and can report that United has installed new Business seats on the Planes from San Francisco to Frankfurt. Maybe on other routes too, that could be researched. They were advertising this on TV. These seats are *perfect* for those with spinal troubles. The seat can be electrically moved totally flat. The is the ambulance way to get to Germany. If you have United frequent flyer miles its a steal but if you book ahead of time it may be well worth it. Don't skimp on travel expenses if going to Europe for surgery. On your way back you will be very glad to have a bed to sleep in on your flight home.

Katie 03-11-2009 11:57 PM

So are you better off splurging on a good seat on the way over, while still suffering from all the problems, or wait for the trip home? Are you not somewhat better after the surgery? Especially with lots of meds?? ;)

dshobbies 03-12-2009 12:53 AM

I fflew to and from Germany in business class but it was super expensive. I know the trip would have been intolerable otherwise. Even today, the thought of sitting on my tailbone for a long time limits my options.