Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Restless leg syndrome after surgery? in the Main forums forums; Once in a while I attempt to go to sleep without t-3 or t-4. 99 percent of the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 04:02 AM

Default Restless leg syndrome after surgery?

Once in a while I attempt to go to sleep without t-3 or t-4. 99 percent of the time I fail. Why, not because my back is sore, because my legs feel exactly like how "restless leg syndrome" is described.

I wonder how many out there have had these symptoms after surgery and does it go away?

Restless legs syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment on MedicineNet.com

Restless leg syndrome - MayoClinic.com

Last edited by robprodisc; 07-07-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Rob... can you post a link to a good RLS website... I can't hunt it down now, but want to read more. I have spoken to some surgeons who have seen patients with classic RLS that were resolved with lumbar surgeries.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 07-07-2008, 08:37 PM

Edited in the first post.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Administrator

I have remnants of leg symptoms that are usually at such a low level that I just call them annoying. Normally, it's a numb spot on the bottom of my foot. When I provoke more symptoms with high activity levels, the numb spot gets bigger and I get some foot pain.

I had to go read a little about RLS, because I did not think that I'd describe my reaction to these radicular symptoms as RLS, but when the symptoms get turned up, I'll constantly move my left leg when resting. I would not call it uncontrollable... it almost seems willful. I can stop it.. but it seems to feel better when moving. I would have expected that RLS was more of a spastic and uncontrollable syndrome. (I'm sure it can be, but what I experience is nothing close to uncontrollable.)

I want to make it clear that these radicular symptoms are VERY minor. I had very severe radicular symptoms before my ADR surgery and I did not expect any improvement in the leg pain... I thought I was doing ADR only for low back pain. I was shocked and amazed when my leg pain was 95% resolved by the ADR surgery. The RLS symptoms are only occasionally when the radicular symptoms take the step from only annoying, to slightly more than annoying.

Rob... great post.

Mark

PS... thanks for posting your surgical outcome. I'll move it to the surgical outcomes thread soon. Did you go back and put functionality and satisfaction scores?
Old 07-07-2008, 11:39 PM

Finally I can post! Thanks Mark!

I have had RLS since Dynesys Feb 07. It is the strangest feeling and I get it at times up to my shoulders. I wouldn't say it is uncontrollable but it sure feels better when I move. It's like what I would think the saying "ants in your pants" comes from. It is just so weird. Different for me from the nerve type stuff and the neuropathy. I thought at first it was flexeril withdrawl because I couldn't figure out what it was. I even had my primary care doc convinced it was that also. Of course thats what happens when he knows you as a nurse, he just accepts your diagnosis even if it's so wrong.

It was RLS. I read somewhere it could happen after spine surgery and my surgeon wasn't suprised. I can't recall the sites right now, but then again my brain doesn't always work either. Also I know it is worse if I am on my back with my legs elevated. I Can sometimes make it go away if I lay on my side and requip works great too!

Has anyone ever heard of flexeril withdrawal anyway?

Last edited by fireyangel76; 07-08-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Administrator

All of the muscle relaxers gave me pretty bad headaches... I tried baclophen, soma, flexeril and others...

I haven't needed them for years except when I get the bad cervical flares, which have been coming more frequently. I have a German muscle relaxer named Mydocalm and it seems to work... I still get a headache, but it's nothing compared to a flexeril headache. I never took them regularly, so I can't speak to withdrawals.

Mark
Old 07-08-2008, 04:33 PM

Fireangle76 do you get the shoulder twitch? Thats also a new one for me. Not sure if its related.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:32 PM

Rob,
I get the shoulder twitch sometimes. I normally have it to my waist, but on occasion it goes to my shoulders and arms and makes me crazy. I am not sure what activity I have or haven't done to cause it to go that high. I know that I don't get it as bad as time has passes since my surgery. I have even gone without the requip some nights. Luckily it works within 30 mins or so if I need to get up and take it. I am getting by with 0.5 mg. The only side effect I have is nausea and dizziness if I go up to 1 mg. I know RLS drugs are getting some bad press, but I am so glad to have something to relieve it.

I am curious as to when and what position you get it the worst in? I also find it strange that I can get relief on my side sometimes....really makes me think it's a back thing.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:34 PM

What position do I get it worse.

Last night I tryed laying on my right side.

Left leg would cramp, calf and front shin and toes all on left leg. with spasms from knee down. right hip nerve would slowly get more sore.

Tonight I will try laying on my left hip.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:20 AM

Rob,
I don't remember when your surgery was but I know with the exception of my right hamstring my cramping is almost all gone.
I sleep with a body pillow and some how I manage to be almost on my stomach but with the body pillow stopping me from going all the way over. Seems to help my RLS. It's funny the weird positions we each manage to find accidentially that give us some relief. Before my first surgery I had to almost raise my right leg up and over my head to get any relief, which was so not supposed to be the case. I guess when they found the fragments sitting on my thecal sack or whatever they said explained the not normal position of comfort for me.
Good luck on your left side and sweet dreams....I am always better on my right side so you may find one side to be better than another.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:10 PM

Just had a visit with my surgeon. I didnt even mention I thought I may have RLS. But when I discribed my problem he mentioned RLS, he ask if I had it before my operation. I didnt. He didnt go the route that the operation may of caused it, however I not sure of if there is any clear evidence on that point.

Anyway he mentioned quiniline, I am not sure what I should try. Something that doesnt make me tired all day, just before bed and would wear off in 6 to 8 hrs.

anyone?
Old 08-06-2008, 07:22 AM

Hi Rob,
Sorry I haven't been around for a bit. It sounds like you are being treated for leg cramps/spasms which while I had those after surgery was totally different from RLS. I know of quinine for cramps but never heard of quiniline and couldn't find any info on it. Is it new? More importantly is it working? I hope your feeling better.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:35 PM

My bad, yes it is quinine. I just started it tueday. It has already helped with the cramps in the calves. The past weekend was wicked. Long nights. cramps and huge muscle jolts. Just about kneed myself in the head with one. LOL.