Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Considering Revision Surgery in the Main forums forums; Hello, I have the Prodiscs L4-S1. I am over a year out and 8 months ago I had a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 06:15 PM

Default Considering Revision Surgery

Hello,
I have the Prodiscs L4-S1. I am over a year out and 8 months ago I had a decompression surgery for continued leg pain. I have been in severe back pain ever since. My life is pretty much at a standstill. I am now considering a revision surgery. I can either fuse over the prodiscs from the back or try to take them out, put in bone or a cage in the front and fuse from the back. I have had several opinions and know that going back in from the front can be life threatening. The Dr. that will try to go in from the front to take out the discs will stop if he can't do it. Will that be too late? I still have my life to lose, or a leg. I am not taking this lightly but have heard that the best results for success are taking the discs out. Does anyone have any articles supporting this. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 01-24-2009, 10:01 PM

WOW Phylly. That is pretty drastic news and course of action. What are the doctor's saying? Do they have the slightest idea about what is continuing to cause the pain for you? This is such depressing news. I would have thought that you would be moving forwards instead of being at a standstill. The only person I am aware of was Ana who had a total revision surgery. She had Dr. Bertognoli complete the first surgery then another surgeon did the revision surgery. If you are interested in talking to her, please let me know as I can get a hold of her for you.

I am so sorry to hear this news.

What's most important is to get back your quality of life. I will continue to pray for you as well.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 01-25-2009, 12:04 AM

Hi Phylly,
Im new here and have just posted for the first time, then I read your post. My heart goes out to you so much, I am currently awaiting one of two possible revision surgeries.
I had a L4-5 fusion and prodisc L3-4 5 months ago, to cut a long story short I have had pain so much worse after surgery, and have had various nerve block injections and Facet joint injections.
My first revision surgery is to be done in April, to add more screws and a rod system to my fusion as im still hypermobile and at risk of breaking the screws. Its also just been discovered that I have facet joint problems at L3-4 at the prodisc site.
Im in the uk, and unsure of what my options will be for the prodisk at the moment, but I can fully understand how you feel, its a horrible place to be when a surgery has failed, and the answers if any seem so far away.
I have to have the first revision done as im not going to fuse in a hypermobile area and its risky to leave it long. And the facets cause so much pain, like you my life is at a standstill, and controlled more by pain now than ever.
My heart goes out so much to you, I guess that you feel terrible right now, and I send you my warmest thoughts.
I hope that we find the strength and the answers to our situations.
hugs
sarah
Old 01-25-2009, 02:51 AM

Phylly & Sarah,

I'm so distressed by both of your posts. You put 99% of your hopes into positive, pain-free outcomes, only to find more pain at the end of your tunnels. Any back surgery is difficult and a scary proposition but you decide it's your best course of action, only to have the other shoe drop.

I do hope the revision surgery works for both of you and you find the relief you so desperately need. My thoughts are with you both.

Dale
Old 01-25-2009, 03:48 AM

The Dr. that will try to go in from the front to take out the discs will stop if he can't do it. Will that be too late?

I would think that the surgeon would be able to tell right away if your veins were too scarred to reach the disc. Just a guess but I don't doubt that just the act of opening you up means it's too late to turn around.
Most docs that I've talked to about both anterior fusion & ADR said a vascular surgeon will be there as well. That will help.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:31 AM

Default thank you all

The vascular surgeon was very positive about being there and going back in to do the surgery. He will go in from the other side (right) That is part that made me feel better, he seemed so confident and has such a good reputation. He will be there for the whole surgery. Whether the prodiscs can come out is another story but the ortho spine will try. I am scared about any revision surgery but I guess this one has more risk and dying is scary.
I did put my hopes and dreams into this surgery. I wanted to ski again and not be fused. I am not sure if it is better to be alive and in pain or try to try to be better. Another lady who had the prodisc also had a bad experience and fused over the discs. She has had a fair outcome and still has pain but is better than before.
Sarah, I am so sorry to hear about your revision surgery. Let's keep in touch and support each other. I am not sure women do as well as men with these discs. It just seems there are more problems with the women? Thanks for the comments, suggestions and articles, I really appreciate this.
Phylly
Old 01-25-2009, 11:24 AM

Phylly,

I am so very sorry for everything you are going through. The decision(s) you have to make are not easy any way you look at it.

At the end of the day, I think it comes down to a quality of life issue. You know how you feel day-to-day and it will be a decision that takes this in to account, as well as the possibility of your problems getting worse without surgical intervention. (I'm not trying to paint a gloomy picture, but a realistic possibility.)

I would also be scared in your shoes, but it sounds like you will have a very skilled vascular and orthopedic surgeon at your side.

Personally, I would have the discs taken out as opposed to having them fused-over. I'm sure you know that your discs can still have "micro-movements" even when they are fused-over, which could result in continued pain that would be significantly harder to address (if it could be addressed at all, probably with pharmacological intervention).

This place is a great sounding board to throw your ideas out and let others chime in with advice. The revision waters are relatively unchartered, but we can try to help as you progress closer to an answer.

I have a couple of publications about revision strategies, etc. that I will dig up later today and send your way via email.

God bless you Phylly and don't hesitate to email/PM if you need anything.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:04 AM

Thank you so much Justin,
I am reading everything I can get my hands on and I also believe that taking the discs out is the best. I know that if the Dr. cannot get the discs out he will fuse the posterior with them in but he also believes that I will do better with them out. If you have any info send it email. I believe that you still have mine. It has been a nightmare for me so I scheduled a surgery soon in 3 weeks. I have to give blood and get my physical. I see Dr. Regan this Wednesday and see what he says also. Thank you for your support. I get pretty teary talking about this all the time.
Phylly
Old 01-26-2009, 04:53 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having continued pain that requires you to think about revision. That is a very scary prospect. But it does sound like you have very competent doctors, who know what they are doing.

I am distressed to hear you say, you think women do worse with ADR than men. Is that based on the number of women you've heard of on these boards who have needed revision surgery? That scares me. I really want ADR or hybrid surgery to be the right answer for me. I don't want to live my life this way, let alone even worse off than I am now.

Well, I will be hoping for the best for you. It sounds like you are making the right choice, for your situation.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone
Old 01-26-2009, 09:29 PM

Wow, Phylly. Revision surgery scheduled in 3 weeks? That's great that they are able to accomodate your desires so efficiently. I think I would do the same thing. What's your actual date of surgery that is scheduled? Where are you having it? I could not get my hip replacement on the books until March 20th, which seems like forever from now. I will definitely keep you in my prayers. Hang in there.

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:41 AM

Hi Cindylou,
I am scheduled for February 10th. I just asked for the first available date. It may change but I can't stand myself anymore and the longer I wait the worse I get. i want to be strong enough to recover. I will see Dr. Regan on Wednesday and ZI hope that will help me decide that I am doing the right thing with the right Dr. I will keep you posted and I am scared to death but I have to go ahead.
Phylly
Old 01-29-2009, 04:05 AM

Default Met with Dr. Regan today

I had my appointment with Dr. Regan today. He was very nice and also said that the discs should come out if I want the best possible result. He proposed taking them out through the side muscle so as not to risk any vascular injury. He would then do a muscle sparing surgery (sextant) in the back if possible. His plan is similar to the back surgeon I like in orange county. I live in orange county and the appointments I have had in LA have been grueling. After the appointment we called the Dr. here and spoke about the side procedure. He will actually do a very similar procedure, although not through the muscle. At this moment I am leaning toward doing it closer to home and not going with Dr. Regan. Dr. Carlson will be there for me after the surgery and since I am a work in progress, he will be there for me later too I hope. I know that Dr. Regan has had more experience with this but I have already had surgery with a guru and it really didn't help me. So here I am, now scheduled for Feb. 10th. I am freaked out but want to get on with it. It is a 6 hour surgery, front and back. I can only hope for the best and know that my doctors are excellent and will do the best job for me.
Thank you all who have sent info and articles. I want you to know that I devour everything I can read. It is hard to make a decision but at least for now I have. Thank you all for reading my posts and helping me. This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do.
fondly,
Phylly
Old 01-29-2009, 05:23 AM
Administrator

30 miles closer should not be an important data point. Lateral explantation of a keeled device is something that's been 1/2 a dozen.... maybe a dozen times worldwide?

Will Carlson not be there for you if you were to choose someone with more experience explainting ADR?

Carlson is a good surgeon... I've met many patients of his... should be a good option... but not because he's closer.

In any case... I look forward to hearing great results!!!

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-29-2009, 07:09 AM

Hi Phylly,
Sorry its taken me so very long to reply to the post.
Wow, you really dont have very long until your revision surgery at all!! How are you feeling about it, I know that it probably feels very big and frightening right now, but I like you am willing to try things in an attempt to gain a better quality of life.
I would love to keep up with your posts and see how you are doing through the whole process,if you dont mind and I will be thinking of you so very much.
I have two problems which need addressing with my spine, the first revision surgery for me will be in April, and that one is to stabilise my failing fusion with the peek rod system and more screws.
The surgeon has only just obtained the information regarding the problems with my facets at the Prodisc site, which is the much more painful issue of the two, so I will need to wait and see what his thoughts are on a future plan for that one.
We certainly have a challenging year ahead of us, but lets hope that it will all be worth it in the long run, and reduce our pain.
Im thinking of you, and hope that you are feeling ok.
warmest wishes and hugs
Sarah xx
Old 01-29-2009, 03:34 PM

Phylly,

Of course you're freaked out, it's only human nature and very naturally, a hard decision. But you have not one, but two doctors who feel this is doable and you have every reason to expect good results.

In less than two weeks you'll have a new life. Most people have to wait more than two months, more often three or four and you'll be so busy just getting ready, hopefully you won't have too much time to think.

My thoughts are with you, Dale
Old 01-29-2009, 10:56 PM

Default Good luck

Good for you for moving forward, many would have given up by now. And you are always so encouraging to others. i'll be following and routing for you. Sounds like you are in good hands so you can have no regrets, you have to make the best decision with the cards you are dealt which is what you are doing.

Cheryl
2 level Prodisc ADR L4-S1, Feb. 18, 2008 Dr. Bertagnoli - Straubing, Germany - SUCCESS -

Now I struggle with Neck Pain likely c5-7
PT, injections, rhizotomy.......MRI and CT Myleo not consistent with pain symptoms, waiting that out, keeping my passport valid
Old 01-29-2009, 11:18 PM

Default Getting Ready

Dale, You are correct, I feel that I am nesting and getting everything in order. Isn't that what we women do? I am trying to get an adjustable bed for my recovery. I made the decision to go with Dr. Carlson.

Mark, I am not sure what you meant in your post? I guess the LA orange drive drove me nuts yesterday so i may have over-reacted some. The distance is not the whole factor. Dr. Carlson wants what is best and he has removed several discs himself. He is cautious and will retract the psosas muscle and not try to move any scared arteries or veins. I believe his approach is similar to Dr. Regan. I think I made my decision because I believe in him and he will be there for me. If I went with another Dr. he would be okay with that too and still be there for me. I am sure Dr. Regan is terrific too but my gut is telling me to do this closer this time.

I did the LA guru for the discs and my result was not that great. It was a gamble but I never heard that there could be any problems only the successes. I could never reach Dr. Delamarter to talk to when I needed to. I have searched my soul on this one and cannot see any reason not to trust Dr. Carlson. Please PM me or call if we should talk more.

Sarah p., my thoughts are with you too. You have a lot on your plate and I understand when we have more than one part to deal with. When I started this undertaking years ago my goal was one area at a time. I am still stuck in the lumbar area and cannot move forwards until this is done. My heart goes out o you. Being in pain is hard enough and the waiting is so hard too. April seems so far away. I feel like it takes so much energy to get through each day and I am so glad when I can take a sleeping pill and go to bed each night. I hope that you can get your spine stabilized and also take care of the pain at the ADR site as well. It is too bad that they cannot do both at the same time?. I promise to keep in touch and send ehugs to you. I hope you will also keep me posted.
Phylly
Old 02-01-2009, 12:22 AM

Hi Phylly,
Thank you so very much for your kind words and thoughts, I agree sometimes it is tough just getting through another day, and finding the strength that it takes to do so, and it feels as though somedays the world is passing by, but I do try very hard to remain positive, to stop the pain winning and beating me.
I still havent heard anything from my surgeon, he did receive my email filling him on on the latest discoveries that the pain clinic have been involved in (facets), I had a note from his secretary saying that the email had been read but nothing else as yet, I do know he is an incredibly busy man!
Well as I write this you now only have 10 days to go! How are you feeling about it all now? are you getting prepared at home? Will you have someone to look after you when you are discharged? It will be nice to hear how everything goes for you, and I will keep you posted as to when I know anything more this side.
Thinking of you and sending warmest wishes and hugs xxxxx
Old 02-01-2009, 01:46 AM

Sarah,
I am on the countdown and it can't happen soon enough. I have tried to get the house in order but it has caused horrible pain so I am sure I need to do this surgery. i have to look for someone to help after the surgery. That is next weeks project along with a dishwasher.
I hope you hear from your Dr. Who is it again? How are you coping? April seems so far off. I hope they find a solution to all the hardware you have installed. It's amazing what is out there. I think of you often and hope that your revision works well. I will be posting because I am scared out of my mind right now and almost don't want to research anymore. Thank you for caring about me.
phylly
Old 02-01-2009, 12:48 PM

Hi Phylly,
I can totally understand why you feel fearful, I always thought that after the last lot of surgery nothing again would bother me, but its the thought of it being revision surgery isnt it, and as weve been left with such a negative outcome from the last surgery, the fear that it wont work and improve out lives, I can imagine by the time April comes I will be a nervous wreck!
Its easy for me at the moment to say to you-you will be in good safe hands, and any good surgeon carrying out revision spinal surgery is going to be as careful and as concentrated as he can possible be, it doesnt take the fear of having to go through it away though. i will sit for the whold day on the 10th with my fingers and toes crossed for you!
I agree that sometimes we have to stop ourselves from researching as there are always worrying things that we dont want to read right now!! At least there are fantstic forums where we can chat and share our thoughts feelings and fears, and that makes the world of difference doesnt it?

My consultant here is Mr K Lam in London, Im sure that now the long January is out of the way April will soon get here, I have bad days sometimes when I worry that this will all go on forever, I will never get back to my job, but try to remind myself to take one day at a time and that worrying wont change anything, just need to get through and see how it all works out in the long run! (or in the slow walk I should say!!)

Thinking of you so very much, you are incredibly brave, it takes alot of strength to be able to go through so much.
sending you warmest hugs xxxxx
Old 02-01-2009, 01:07 PM

Phylly,

I had no idea you already had a date for your revision surgery. At the end of the day, you have to do what YOU feel comfortable with. You only know what you are going through day-to-day and minute-to-minute.

I wish you the very best -- I will keep you in prayer.

If you need anything, don't hesitate to contact me via PM (or email, as you have it).

God bless you Phylly.
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:38 PM

Hi Phylly,

February 10 will be here before you know it. I pray the time will go fast so as not to make you stir crazy with fear. Know that we are all here for you. I do hope and pray this surgery gives you the much deserved relief from pain. And I think you are right about the possibility of "over researching" at this point in time. You have done all your homework, if you will, made an executive decision about who, what, when with your revision surgery, and now you are in God's hands. Pretty soon you will be on the other side of all this, and we will still be here to support you through your recovery phase. God bless!

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:29 PM

Default wishing you the best

This is a big step/surgery and I think it's quite normal to be really over the top w/concern/fear and whatever else you might be feeling. I wish you all the best with the upcoming surgery and do hope it will alleviate the pain you're experiencing.

I hope you will post after your surgery and let us know how it goes. Take your time though and recover well.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:17 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you all for the support. In the morning when I wake up and am not in too much pain I wonder if I am crazy. Does anyone know how long it takes irritated nerves to heal. It has been 7 months since my foraminotomy hemi-laminectomy; Is that not long enough to wait? Those of you with sensitive nerves, Can this ever go away, it always seems worse as the day goes on and I bend. I am going to miss bending! I guess this why they call it mechanical pain because if every other way I am fine. I only hope that I am not jumping the gun. Anyone out thee with a double fusion please let me know how you are doing now. I would love to hear about your recovery.
Phylly
Old 02-03-2009, 12:30 AM

Phylly,

Nerve damage/regeneration is still pretty much an unknown. It does take a very long time but whether or not it ever goes away.....

When, after 18 months, my nerve pain had not subsided to any great degree, my pm suggested accupuncture. Shocker - it worked. He said it would have been better if I had come in sooner so it's something you might want to consider. As with all medical care, skill level is an all important factor.

My best, Dale
Old 02-03-2009, 06:10 AM

Dale,
I did do some acupuncture recently but was not sure it helped. I think the medrol pack I also had recently for the myelogram helped more. I guess I have a few more days to sort this out. I'll use my wii fit and get the most I can out of exercising slowly. I also had to change some meds so I if this has cured me it sure happened at a good time. I am most likely in denial right now. I'll see how tomorrow is, each day is different. Thanks for the info.
Phylly
Old 02-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Phylly... you'll be on the other side before you know it... I look forward to hearing of your success. All the best,

Mark
Old 02-03-2009, 10:45 PM

WOW Phylly this is soon. I sure hope everything comes out awesome for you. Please keep us posted and you will be in Elizabeth and my prayers.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
Bicycle Accident 2004

Last edited by Terry Allen Blackburn; 02-07-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:07 AM

Philly, You know me as Cathydownunder from elsewhere.
I have 3 fusions from L3-S1...well actually fusion/ADR+Dynesys/fusion.
I don't have problems bending but extension is very painful! I've read of many scoliosis patients with long fusions who are very flexible so please don't assume your bending days are over!
Best of luck with your surgery. I hope you're at peace with your decision knowing you've done all your research and that this is what you need to do for YOU.
Cathy
Old 02-04-2009, 01:30 AM

Default Welcome

Hi Twisted

Welcome i love your new name

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 02-04-2009, 02:05 AM

All I can say is I am paralyzed with fear and feel such heartwarming responses to my situation. Thank you all for such wonderful info and thoughts and prayers. I keep pretending I am okay and then my meds wear off and I am in bed on ice. I hope this works for me and then those of you who need to do this can too. I have to hope I will be okay and I won't have the worst things happen that the Dr. has to tell you-like die, lose a leg, etc. I am just one of the few that this did not work. Cathy, I think was scares me the most is the surgery pain again!!! I am so depleted mentally and the tears come out. Thanks again all. I guess Tues. will be here soon. I love you and what a great support network.
Phylly
Old 02-04-2009, 03:39 PM

Hi Phylly,
you are being so brave, and I know that it must be very frightening with the surgery being so close now. Thinking of you very much, it must be very hard for you right now, but you are amazingly strong, and we will all be here to talk to afterwards during your recovery.
Warmest hugs and wishes xxxx
Old 02-04-2009, 05:32 PM

Phylly,

I understand the kind of fear you're living with. It multiplies as the days go by and you just don't think you can take anymore. The fear is paralyzing and controls your every waking minute. Phylly, you are not alone. We are all right there with you, holding your hand.

Some mechanisms that might help you get through the next few days are controlled breathing and meditation. Relax in a comfortable spot and just control your breathing, maybe 10 seconds in and 10 seconds out... longer if possible. Then try feeling your body, starting with your feet and relax that body part. Think of a place you find soothing, like the beach or park. Stay there for 10 minutes or so. Taking the tension out of your body will help to destress your mind. You can do this as often as you like, it hurts no one and helps tremendously.

As you head to the hospital and again into surgery, stay in your 'happy' place. No one will know and it just might help you deal with the enormous fear that is beating you down.

My thoughts are with you and I'm sending good wishes your way, Dale
Old 02-04-2009, 06:56 PM

Dale,
Such good advice for me as I tend to get really anxious and go to the worse case scenario. Much better to breath and be in a happy place. I hope they have really happy meds for me at the hospital because I am already on so much. I hear Saint Joseph's is a good hospital and I got my adjustable bed yesterday. It made things seem so real and soon.
My big birthday is Saturday and I am going to pig out at my favorite restaurant with my husband and daughter and perhaps a lunch with some friends. Even writing this I need to breathe. I'll keep in touch.
phylly
Old 02-05-2009, 03:57 PM

I hope you are able to relax Phylly, this is such a stressful situation, but you are doing what seems best and have great doctors. I will be thinking about you too, along with everyone else, and hoping for the best outcome.

Great advice from Dale, I hope it helps you.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:57 PM

Default almost there

I met with my surgeon for the pre-op visit. I am in awe of his grasp of this surgery. I really feel at peace with this decision and he made me feel I should come through it okay. I know there are differences of opinion regarding fusing over or taking out the discs. There are differences over which type of back surgery and instrumentation to go in and also differences in where to approach the discs from. I am comfortable with what we are going to do and I also feel pretty convinced that waiting will not make things any better. For whatever reason i seem to have a mechanical irritation to my nerves from bending over and pretty much doing anything. I am hopeful that I can come though this just a little stiffer. The scariest part for me is knowing the pain is coming. My pain threshold is not that great at the moment so they will have to bring on the big drugs. I promise to bring in my computer and let you all know how it went. I am nesting around the house at the moment getting everything in order because Tuesday is coming soon.
Phylly
Old 02-06-2009, 02:44 AM

Can you say MORPHINE? Practice everyday so you can say it in your sleep.

I agree that your comfort level is important. I know Tuesday is just around the corner but you might want to talk to a pm about your concerns and ask if needed, will (s)he come to the hospital?

If not, don't be afraid to ask for one in the hospital should you find the pain too much to take. Speak up for yourself and make up your mind in advance. Unless there's some complication, they should be able to manage your pain.

I'm still holding your hand.

Dale
Old 02-07-2009, 01:01 AM

Default last minute dilemma

I am ready, I have a date, Insurance is approved etc. I woke up this morning is less pain than yesterday and yesterday was less than last week. i finished a medrol pack last week to counteract the nerve pain from the CT myelogram. I know this won't last but I am blown away thinking of having surgery when my pain isn't so bad. My husband and the surgeon would likely kill me if I cancelled and I know this is just a short time thing, I think? I have had these before and they do work but I have never had one work so well. I think I need to go run up and down the stairs for awhile and then run down the street bending over and picking up papers along the way.

I guess the good news is I can cut down on my meds before the surgery so when I need them I can have more. I feel really stupid because my pain has been in the 7-9 range most days and today is like 3. i can't imagine putting this off but why is this happening now? Always a little excitement and the brain sure works in funny ways. I met with my PM Dr. today and they did tell me to try to cut back my meds if possible so this will be easy. I just don't want to have unnecessary surgery and fuse my ADR's if this is more permanent. Help! Has anyone had this happen to them?

I know that I get to stop even on the way into the OR but How idiotic would that look. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me? Or of course the cortisone is working right now and will wear off. I am just rambling and be really nervous, sorry. Thanks for all the support, I do feel really dumb.
Phylly
Old 02-07-2009, 01:23 AM

Thumbs up Almost on the other side!

Phylly,

There is no reason to "feel dumb." Your surgery next week is a major life-event and it is human nature to make sure you've covered all your bases.

About feeling better--I felt the exact same way ~week before my ADR surgery in 2003. The mind is very powerful, especially when it knows *elective surgery is around the corner, and not out-of-the-blue accident/trauma. BTW, Happy Early Birthday!

Phylly--you have done your homework, and now is your time to start feeling better again. This is a big step; however, I know you will come out on the other side brilliantly.

God bless--and if you need anything, don't hesitate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylly View Post
I am ready, I have a date, Insurance is approved etc. I woke up this morning is less pain than yesterday and yesterday was less than last week. i finished a medrol pack last week to counteract the nerve pain from the CT myelogram. I know this won't last but I am blown away thinking of having surgery when my pain isn't so bad. My husband and the surgeon would likely kill me if I cancelled and I know this is just a short time thing, I think? I have had these before and they do work but I have never had one work so well. I think I need to go run up and down the stairs for awhile and then run down the street bending over and picking up papers along the way.

I guess the good news is I can cut down on my meds before the surgery so when I need them I can have more. I feel really stupid because my pain has been in the 7-9 range most days and today is like 3. i can't imagine putting this off but why is this happening now? Always a little excitement and the brain sure works in funny ways. I met with my PM Dr. today and they did tell me to try to cut back my meds if possible so this will be easy. I just don't want to have unnecessary surgery and fuse my ADR's if this is more permanent. Help! Has anyone had this happen to them?

I know that I get to stop even on the way into the OR but How idiotic would that look. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me? Or of course the cortisone is working right now and will wear off. I am just rambling and be really nervous, sorry. Thanks for all the support, I do feel really dumb.
Phylly
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Administrator

Phylly,

I cut way back on my medications before my ADR surgery for the same reasons. In my case, I believe it was a mistake, because by the time I got to the surgery, I was like a raw nerve ending... I was a basket case and had a difficult time coping with the ordeal.

Everyone is different and I believe that in principal, it's good to be on less meds. If you find that you are unnecessarily torturing yourself... you might want to ease up a bit.

Good luck... I look forward to reading good news about your recovery. All the best,

Mark
Old 02-07-2009, 06:50 AM

Smile

Phylly,

It sounds like most of the people on this forum felt better before their surgery. It is perfectly normal.
It is all that adrenalin and stuff telling your back it is ok.

I think you have all your ducks in a row. Just try to relax and enjoy your birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY--almost.

In my medical records, it was said that my pain level was kind of high after my surgery and heck, so what. I remember being in the recovery room and starting to feel pain even with the PCA morphine. So I just told my recovery room nurse, things weren't working and to switch to Dilaudid. Oh, blessful relief. Different meds for different folks.
When that wasn't cutting it, I asked my vascular surgeon to up it and he did. I realized later I was getting more than I thought. The only bummer was when I had to come off the PCA and go on P.O. drugs because of the post-op illeus. Had to come off the juice at some point and it wasn't too bad.
I never had a problem with getting the pain meds and if it was taking a little too long to arrive, I hit the button again. Things happen but there is always a fellow nurse to meet your needs when your primary one is detained. Don't be afraid to ask for what you need.

The doctors and the nurses will make sure that your pain is under control and if it isn't YOU TELL THEM SO or have hubby make noise.
Pain is considered the fifth vital sign so they will try to make you comfortable. The only time they can't, is when your health takes priority and this doesn't happen very often. Even with low blood pressures, I gave pain meds. Not all pain meds drop the blood pressure like a rock.

You accomplish better healing when you have your pain under control. Stop worrying and remember you will be in good hands. If anyone gives you trouble, have hubby speak to a charge nurse.

You know what we talked about. I can tell you i took care of patients who had a laminectomy (only) in the ICU and spent the night. So don't be afraid to ask.

runner
Old 02-07-2009, 11:05 AM

Default Happy Birthday Phylly!

5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:08 PM

Wow,
Thanks all, You are the best. My son surprised me last night and came home from London. You are all the greatest.
Phylly
Old 02-07-2009, 05:12 PM

Happy Birthday Phylly!

That is absolutely wonderful that your son surprised you like that. Will he stay for your surgery? I hope you enjoy your time with him, and that it takes your mind off the surgery, at least a little.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:55 PM

Happy Birthday Phylly. 29 years old, damn, I wish I was that young again.

Tuesday will be here before you know it and you will be heading on the other side towards recovery. I understand the fear but, God is with you and, so are we. I will be praying that everything goes good for you and that you will get much needed relief from the surgery. You've done all of the footwork, you've got an excellent surgeon, insurance is in line, family is there to support you, you have us on your side, and God is in the background watching over all.

In other words, you are in great hands and, need to let go and trust God.

Hang in there Phylly and I look forward to hearing your first post after the recovery room.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
Bicycle Accident 2004
Old 02-07-2009, 06:27 PM

You almost sound like a nervous bride. The mechanism is exactly the same. Doubt over making the right decision, expecially as the day moves closer, is haunting you.

Your decision didn't come lightely. You've been in pain for too long and based your needs and desires on that. Now, you indicision has returned because the last few days haven't been that bad.

Do you think this respite is likely to continue for the rest of your life or is this the calm before the storm? You're scared about having this surgery and until Wednesday, I suppose this doubt is here to stay.

You based your decision on many factors, worked out all the details and now have nothing to do but think about it. Your panic is now front and center saying 'hello, I'm here to bother you today', and it is.

Life comes with no certainties and all we can do is the best we can do. Breathe, go to your happy place do what you think is the best you can.

We're all here and we all understand. We're all supporting you as these days tick by. We're also pretty sure you're making the right decision.

Dale
Old 02-07-2009, 07:07 PM

Phylly, Happy, Happy Birthday to you! I'm so glad your son came home! Don't we love our kids, especially when they do something so grand as that?! Give yourself a little pat on the back. You raised him! And I can't say anymore than what everyone said. Try not to overthink it now. Like Dale said, you have time on your hands now and it's torturing you. Let it go. Give it up. Say adios. Before you know it, you WILL be on the other side, and you are in the Good Lord's hands, and a wonderful surgeon's to boot. God bless you Phylly. We'll be here for you when you land on the other side.

Cindylou
Old 02-08-2009, 02:07 PM

Hi Phylly,
Happy Birthday for yesterday, I hope that you had a lovely day despite everything going on. How lovely of your son to visit, must have given you such a wonderful suprise, and is just what you need to smile!
How are you feeling hun? not long to go now, and Ive always found the 48 hrs before my surgeries the worst, then im usually calm on the day (or terrified into numbness!!!)
Thinking of you and sending huge warm cyber hugs (((((((((Phylly)))))))))
xxxxxxx
Old 02-08-2009, 04:38 PM

Talking Happy Birthday

Hi Philly

Its cool your son came home
Be happy and strong wish you the best on tues

God Bless will pray for you

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 02-08-2009, 08:23 PM

Default Thank you all Again

I had a great visit with my son, still here. i had an awesome birthday and my pain has almost vanished. How long do medrol packs work????? I can handle this and I must call my Dr. tomorrow and ask what to do. The wheels are in motion and so is my brain.
Phylly
Old 02-09-2009, 01:20 PM

Phylly, one day left. Hang in there. Don't let your mind mess with you. Easier said than done, I know. We're all praying for you! When you're able to, let us know how you are after surgery.

Cindylou
Old 02-09-2009, 04:20 PM

Dear Phylly

May God bless the hands of those who will be treating you. Sandy
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany
Old 02-09-2009, 05:48 PM

Dear Phylly,
Happy birthday. I just finished reading this thread and I will be praying for you. What a huge decision and huge surgery! It wasn't that long ago that I faced a similar situation. I was scheduled with Dr. Regan last September to have both of my lumbar prodiscs removed. It turned out that I have been able to postpone my revision at least for now but it is always in the back of my mind to some degree.
I will be watching your recovery with great interest and will be praying that you will have a successful surgery and recovery. I am friends with another lady who had a ProDisc removed and revised to fusion and I know this surgery is not an easy one. It sounds like you have a great support base and that is very important to a favorable recovery. My prayers and thoughts go with you!
Best wishes,
Linda
Old 02-09-2009, 09:12 PM

Dear Phylly, are you still going forward with surgery tomorrow? I hope that you are confident in whatever decision you have made.

Either way, I want to wish you the best.

If you are going forward with surgery, please let us know as soon as you are able, how it all went. I will be thinking of you.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:32 PM

Default Still going ahead

Cathy,
As of this moment, 3:30 p.m., I am still moving forward toward tomorrow. I have to be there at 5 am. ughhh, I do not do mornings.

Linda,
How did your friend do with her revision? I think this will be painful so I hope they have a lot of Fentynal.

Sandy, Gil, sarah p., Cindylou, Justin, Dale, Terry, Mark, and Adrienne, Runner and all if I have not mentioned you, thank you again for the love and support, What a love fest! My husband says I am tough, I'll be okay. I don't usually pray too much but I am now.
Phylly
Old 02-10-2009, 12:46 AM

Thumbs up Praying for you

Phylly,

Everyone here is pulling for you! I'm excited to hear about your successful surgery. You'll be on the other side in no time!
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:50 AM

hi phylly,

i just wanted to pop in to wish you good luck tomorrow! i hope everything goes very well and i look forward to hearing of your new lease on life -- i know that will be the best birthday present. i hope when you wake up in recovery that you just have surgical pain and that the old pain is gone far away and that you wake up feeling mechanically stable and ready to re-gain your life.

stay positive and try to get some sleep.

best wishes,
Liz
Old 02-10-2009, 05:02 AM

Phylly,

You will be fine.
See you on the otherside.

Runner