Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Back Brace in the Main forums forums; Hi Does anyone here wear a back brace for sports, comfort, support,etc? I realize wearing one in not good ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 01:09 AM

Post Back Brace

Hi

Does anyone here wear a back brace for sports, comfort, support,etc?

I realize wearing one in not good for core strength.thanks

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 02-06-2009, 02:35 AM

Before my surgery I had to wear a back brace whenever I did 'anything'. Since my surgery, I sometimes find sitting for a long time difficult. It's better with a brace. I also sometimes use a lidocaine patch. I love it!
Old 02-06-2009, 03:52 AM
Administrator

I never used a brace except for immediately after my surgery. I think that this is going to be one of the questions that be, "whatever works for you". You'll not want to wear a brace for daily living... as you mentioned, it can reduce your core strength. If it helps you to ski... I'd go for it.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 02-06-2009, 02:12 PM

Gil,

I used one for a short time after surgery to hold everything in place when walking.

*(Elastic one around my waist only)

Thermoflow Far Infrared Waist Bands & Belts - Fir for Back Pain Relief

Todd

Surgery 10-19-07 ( L4-L5 Maverick disc )

For my true life story ...

go to -----> www.youtube.com

print -----> ADR surgery into the space bar

or ... http://www.maverick-disc.blogspot.com (my picture & movie updates)
Old 02-06-2009, 03:21 PM

Default oddly enough

I used many a back brace in the past before and after my 2 discectomies however I was working still and even working out pretty regularly.

Now since starting pain meds I've not used a back brace. Odd huh? Oh well not working either since starting pain meds so that probably helped out too.

I think as mentioned it's whatever works for you. You might even want to have several different types of back braces such as the kind you get at Home Depot that was pretty darn good back about 12 years ago. Couldn't say what they're like now. Nice black color tho.

I've had a few that fit discretely under my clothing while working and then the more obvious heavy duty type that fit over clothing and then the type that looks like one can be at the gym w/it ~ blue neopryne (sp?)..
Old 02-08-2009, 04:51 PM

Question Lidacoine Patch

Hi Dale

What is a Lidacoine Patch,how does it work and were can I get one?

Thanks

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 02-08-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Denis View Post
Hi Dale

What is a Lidacoine Patch,how does it work and were can I get one?

Thanks

Gil
These can be prescribed by your doctor. I never found much use for them but, some people swear by them. As far as the back brace, there are some good ones though they remain controversial. Here is a link to Mayo Clinic on back pain and what they think of the use of back braces.

Back pain guide - MayoClinic.com

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 02-08-2009, 06:09 PM

Hi Gil,

I'm one of the ones that swear by them. It's roughly a 4x8 self sticking patch containing lidocaine, I suppose trans dermal, that you can wear up to 12 hours (off 12 hours) at a time. I prefer these to meds during the day. I also use them preemptively if I know I'll be doing something that it taxing for me. My pm swears by them too. But then again, not all meds help all people.

Dale
Old 02-09-2009, 03:49 AM

Question Did you wear a back brace after ADR?

Speaking of back braces... were any of you told NOT to wear one after ADR? When I was at the surgeon's office the other day, there was a lady who was one week post op and was just getting a brace. She said that the dr. prefers that you not to wear one; but if you ask/complain you will get one. I wasn't sure what to think of that, since I always read about people wearing them after surgery. Any opinions?
Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 02-09-2009, 01:34 PM

I was definitely told to where one by Dr. B after my 3 levels. I believe I wore it for at least 3 months. One of the things I also remember the doctor saying was, it was important to have it on from the viewpoint of the people you come in contact with: grocery store, work, shopping, etc., so they would be more conscious of not "knocking" into you, because you had a big old obvious brace on. We all know how now-a-days folks just practically run you down out in public with not even so much as an "excuse me," anymore. Our manners have gone to the dogs. A big pet peeve of mine, but that's another story. Like Terry, the lidocaine patches were absolutely useless to me. Zip. Nada. But then like Dale said, everybody is different, so it's certainly worth a try. Nothing to lose, right?

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:51 PM

I too had to wear a back brace and felt 'naked' without it. Cindylou is right, other people, unaware of possible disabilities in others, can and do bump into you. You also can misstep and bump into a door, wall, or if you have a dog that doesn't care about letting water drip from her mouth as she walks away from her water bowl, you can slip when stepping in the water.

Things happen and the brace protects your back.