Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss I feel like I am coming down with a sore throat, with surgery in 5 days! in the Main forums forums; Please pray you guys, that this sore throat I feel coming on, will clear up quickly, what with surgery in ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 02:18 PM

Default I feel like I am coming down with a sore throat, with surgery in 5 days!

Please pray you guys, that this sore throat I feel coming on, will clear up quickly, what with surgery in 5 days. I've been taking vitamin C out the kazoo's. Any other suggestions? I'm a bit nervous about it. Thanks.

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:46 PM

Hi there. Today just happens to be 2 weeks since I had my surgery. I went through the same thing you did. I started to feel a soar throat coming 5 days before surgery as well. I think it was mainly because of stress.

I bought a bottle of chewable Vitamin C 500 Mg. at walmart. I took 2500 mg in the morning and 2500 mg at night. I also bought whats called "Airborne" nighttime. This stuff was made by a teacher which is what I do for a living. I swear by this stuff. There is no telling what kind of germs I have going on at my elementary school I teach at.

I took all of this going up to the night before the surgery. When I arrived at the hospital, they immediately put me on an antibiotic to prevent infection from the surgery. I was not worried after that.

Good luck to you. If you try the vitamin C, I have no doubt that it will work. Let us know how it turns out!

Dan
May 2008 - L5/S1 crumbling disk
Jul. 2008 - L5 - S1 PAINFUL Discogram VAS 10/10
Jan. 2009 - Texas Back Institute - Axiomed Clinical Trial Enrollment
Feb. 2009 - Clinical Trial Surgery - Freedom Lumbar Disc inserted - L5-S1
Old 03-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Cindy, do you have enough on your plate now??? A new baby, a dear friend's death, surgery next week.

Do you use Airborne? I started with it a few years ago and get sick much, much less. I take it before a trip, when I get really run down or when I feel something coming on. It seems stupid to me to take something that is just an expensive vitimin, but it seems to work for me.

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 03-04-2009, 02:59 PM

Oh, thanks you guys. I've been doing the vitamin c, but sent our last bottle of Airborne back to campus with our son. I will definitely go out and buy some today. I think it could be stress too, just don't want to have to postpone surgery or anything. Thanks again!

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:52 PM

CL, I hope you feel better! Make sure to drink a lot of water.

My 2 cents about Airborne:

It does not work. It's been studied and the company was subsequently issued to pay close to $24 million in a recent settlement for false advertising. Also, more of a concern about Airborne: people end up taking too many of them and this is dangerous as there is a TON of Vitamin A in them, which can cause substantial damage to your liver. There was a recent publication in Nature

If it does work... it's most likely placebo effect.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:34 PM

Default emergenC

Hi Cindy Lou
My wife makes me take EmergenC and zicam seems to do the trick,rest, drink hot tea etc.
Best wishes on your surgery
My condolences of your loss as I feel your lost
I recently lost my Father and his Brother both to lung issues. They were smokers
All the best

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 03-04-2009, 05:05 PM

Default sore throat

I have sinus drainage at various times of the year that mimics onset of a sore throat. As mentioned above I use Zicam products and usually get pretty good relief unless it's a bacterial infection or a dratted viral infection that's going to take it's course...

Wishing you the best and hope it's just nerves!
Old 03-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Intellectually, I believe what Dr. J says. I'm very skeptical, but...

I had a funny thing happen in one of my early trips with a client to a world-leading surgeon. The client was extolling the virtues of eccinacia in avoiding colds or reducing symptoms. I told him that I thought it was placebo effect and I didn't believe much in it. A few minutes later, the doctor came in and the patient asked him about eccinacia. Yeah, he uses it and he uses airborne too.

It took me another couple of years to come of my skeptical high horse and I was getting sick upon returning exhausted from Germany several times/year. I started using Airborne and while believe what Justin says,,, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. I don't care why it works or if I'm a nut job... I just think it helps me reduce / avoid colds.

'scuse me, I have to go change the razor blades under the pyramid.

Mark
Old 03-04-2009, 06:44 PM

Anybody ever try a neti pot? It's great for sinus congestion but also cleans out whatever junk got in there all day long. Regular use will keep you healthier. Don't know if it will help if you already have a bug though.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Dale, yes.... I grew up in Southern California in the 60's. What's a neti?
Old 03-04-2009, 07:56 PM

Mark,

Just so you know, I wasn't posting my opinion in regard to Airborne based off of your post (I wasn't trying to be on a high horse ). We see a lot of people using it when they come in for appointments, and it's been our habit to make them aware of the high vitamin A levels contained in the supplement.

If someone feels it "works" for them, I won't question their usage...just remember not to exceed the recommended dose.

Until there is substantial evidence-based medicine that Airborne in fact "works," I'm going to save the little money I do have. I guess I can add it to my 2 cents above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmglobal View Post
Intellectually, I believe what Dr. J says. I'm very skeptical, but...

I had a funny thing happen in one of my early trips with a client to a world-leading surgeon. The client was extolling the virtues of eccinacia in avoiding colds or reducing symptoms. I told him that I thought it was placebo effect and I didn't believe much in it. A few minutes later, the doctor came in and the patient asked him about eccinacia. Yeah, he uses it and he uses airborne too.

It took me another couple of years to come of my skeptical high horse and I was getting sick upon returning exhausted from Germany several times/year. I started using Airborne and while believe what Justin says,,, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. I don't care why it works or if I'm a nut job... I just think it helps me reduce / avoid colds.

'scuse me, I have to go change the razor blades under the pyramid.

Mark
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:04 PM

A neti pot or other facsmile ( I use a bottle) along with a special solution, readily available at all drug stores... and though I know this sounds gross, it's actually quite beneficial and soothing, is a nasel and sinus cleaning vessel. Leaning over the sink, you pour the liquid (usually a powder with tap water) into one nasel passage and it come out the other after going through your sinus cavity. Repeat on other side.

It should be used at least once daily but when I'm with my grandkids or on a very windy day, I might use it twice. It rids your nose and sinuses of germs and allergens. Almost feels like water up your nose while swimming but it doesn't hurt, just feels weird.

Warning, use very warm water!
Old 03-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Dale... I was referring to my own high horse. Even though a doctor that I truly respected said he used it... I still thought it was bunk. It took another couple of years for me to give it a try and in my experience, it helps.

Thanks for the info on nasal irrigation.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Cindylou,

Hey, I just checked the weather.... you didn't tell me that it is getting down into the 20's at night!!!

I was hoping to get some water-skiing in with MicheleH and her clan.... but she says there is ice in the lake!

OK... I'll bring a coat. See you in a few days!

Mark

Last edited by mmglobal; 03-04-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:07 PM

I use the sinus rinse by Neilmed. I have a friend that uses the netipot. We both agree that these work well for allergy and sinus issues.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:51 AM

Mark, yeah, it's more like ice-fishing time here in Minnesota than water-skiing time! Bring a warm coat and maybe boots if it's snowing. Right now we're in a veritable heat wave, with high's in the 40's. Doubt it will last though. Just a tease. Spring is a long way off still.

I forgot I have a neti pot. Will have to try that again. I didn't know you could buy a ready made solution for it. I used to make my own, but I'll stop by the drugstore and see if they carry what Dale was talking about.

Thanks you guys.

See you soon, Mark,

Cindylou (if it works out at all, it would be nice to try and at least have a cup of coffee or something sometime Sunday, no?)
Old 03-05-2009, 04:51 PM

I love the neti pot, albeit a little weird the first couple of times you use it. I actually buy those cheap 'bulb syringes' that you use to suck boogers out of a baby's nose. I suck the solution into it and then squirt it in my nose (good visual, eh?) My sister has actually put apple cider vinegar in her nose for allergies. She says it burns like hell; but feels great afterward. I don't know, too painful for me, seems like it could be harmful; but she and others swear by it (the ole if your friend jumps off a cliff, would you?)
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:16 PM

CL if you can get vit C with Zinc it's much more potent than C alone
Also if you can stomach it...try swallowing pieces of raw garlic. Obviously you can;t chew it...yuk...and it may repeat on you but well worth it in my experience!
Cathy
Old 03-16-2013, 05:03 AM
Banned

I also suffer from strep throat so many times but i never take medicines or go to doctor according to me home remedies is the best treatment for this disease i have also seen a very good article on natural remedies for sore and atrep throat. Do gargle with salt water 4-5 times a day.mix half tea-spoon salt with warm water gargle it and then spit out.
Melt one-half teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of heated water and then gargle it.Take 1 sppon of honey and ginger juice and take a liitle bit of turmeric powder mix all these things and then drink it.please visit (spam link deleted by mmglobal... leaving post because it was responded to. CindyLou... nice to see you, I hope you are well!) to know more about remedies.
hope you will feel better soon.

Last edited by mmglobal; 03-17-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:34 PM

Anuju62 (did I get that right?), just so you know, I posted that thread on "a sore throat coming on" 4 years ago! If you are new to this community, that's probably why you didn't notice that small detail. Anyway, sounds like you have a good plan in place that works for you when you feel a sore throat coming on. My Dad was a big proponent of gargling w the warm salt water, and I agree w you too, I think it really helps. CL