ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   iSpine (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/)
-   -   WARNING: Remove ALL Patches During MRI Scans! (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/1366-warning-remove-all-patches-during-mri-scans.html)

mmglobal 03-12-2009 10:42 PM

WARNING: Remove ALL Patches During MRI Scans!

Originally posted by moose53 over on MGH Braintalk forum...

Quote:

Originally Posted by moose53 (Post 326602)
from: My Way News - Warning: Don't wear medication patches during MRI

Warning: Don't wear medication patches during MRI

Mar 5, 2009, 1:23 PM (ET)

By LAURAN NEERGAARD

WASHINGTON (AP) - Need an MRI scan? Tell the doctor if you use a nicotine patch or any other medication patch - or you'll risk a burn during the MRI.

Patches that ooze medication slowly through the skin are becoming more popular, from over-the-counter nicotine patches to prescription patches that deliver estrogen, pain medication, Alzheimer's or Parkinson's drugs, even an anti-nausea drug for chemotherapy recipients.

But the Food and Drug Administration just discovered that some are missing a key safety warning about MRI compatibility.

More than a quarter of the 60 different drug patches sold contain traces of aluminum or other metals in their backing, the part that makes them stick to the skin, estimated Dr. Sandra Kweder, the FDA's deputy drug director.

You can't see the metal; the patch even may appear completely clear. But affected patches contain just enough metal to conduct electricity, meaning a patch worn during an MRI scan can overheat and cause a skin burn similar to a bad sunburn.

The FDA recently learned of a few patients who suffered patch burns, none severe. In January, tracking the source of one burn, officials found that Teva Pharmaceuticals' fentanyl painkiller patch lacked the MRI warning. The FDA then found a variety of other drug patches also lacked the warning.

On Thursday, the FDA issued a public health advisory: Tell your doctor about any medication patches, so the professional can decide which should be removed before an MRI, how soon before the scan, and when it can be reapplied.

"If there's any uncertainty, just don't wear it in the machine," Kweder said. "It's just the smart thing to do."

As for patch makers, FDA is reviewing every product's label to be sure ones that are supposed to carry the safety warning do. Some may be missing because a patch was reformulated to add metal after its label was written; other times FDA acknowledged it just didn't ensure the warning was present in the first place.

Now the agency is considering having an MRI warning somehow be put on the individual patch, not just the box it comes in.

"We have to look at the different configurations of these patches and what's going to be practical to allow for this," Kweder said.

Barb

Kathy 03-13-2009 04:07 AM

That is really scary, as I wore the fentanyl patch when I had an MRI before. I had no idea, and I did read all of the warnings!

fuzzy 03-14-2009 02:53 AM

Another note, your tatoos, if you have any. The inks can have metallic components which can warm up in the skin. Here in US they don't say much but in Germany they always point it out to tell them if it feel like it is getting warm and they would take a break. I have a large back piece and it clearly gets very warm in places when they do T spine but it has not been a problem so far.

Terry Allen Blackburn 03-14-2009 03:11 AM

I have tattoos on both shoulders and have had more MRI's than I care to admit. I have never had a problem because of having tattoos.

Terry Newton

fuzzy 03-14-2009 03:18 AM

Terry, it depends on the inks used. Like strong colors, in particular red. Some japanese artists use some old recipes for the reds that can cause all kinds of problems.

mmglobal 03-14-2009 05:17 AM

Welcome to Jamaica, have a nice day???

sahuaro 03-14-2009 05:18 AM

I think the same warning applies for permanent make-up.

ans 03-14-2009 11:55 AM

"House" had a reply of a prisoner w/prison tats (which have iron) that had the guy screaming in the MRI machine.

Thanks for this post. I'll remove my pain patch. An ex whose into wholistic health has been bugging me to try a magnesium patch. Now that would cause trouble..