ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   iSpine (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/)
-   -   Pregablin - question (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/1385-pregablin-question.html)

marion 03-25-2009 08:05 PM

Pregablin - question

Hi there, I wrote a while ago about my suspicion that Pregablin (Lycira) was causing my palms to burn. I reduced the doesage as per my docs instructions , and they burning subsided almost completely, but the pain was awful I had to increase it back slowly. Now I am experiencing a burning type pain in my bladder!! I dont need to spend a penny more often, I dont sense wanting to go either, just the uncomfortable/pain feeling is pretty constant and horrible,

Have had blood an urine test and full exam, showing nothing. I have no tenderness ,urgency or pain on urination, just this awful feeling. Does anyone out there know if this too could be linked to the drug?? My doc is referring me to a Urologist to thanks for listening again Marion

dshobbies 03-26-2009 12:15 AM

Have you tried decreasing the Lyrica again to see in the burning goes away? I may be off base but getting a work up may be mute if indeed the cause is medication. It's not a side effect I'm familiar with but your palms also burned as a side effect, then stopped with a reduced dosage. That's the first thing I would do again.

It's always a good idea to get things checked out though and I hope there is nothing serious going on.

Dale

marion 03-26-2009 09:44 AM

pregablin

Hi thanks for your reply I am lowering the dose right now so will see how it goes

Marion

mmglobal 03-26-2009 01:56 PM

I sometimes have that symptom and I never take that class of med. It feels like I've slid head-first into second and scraped my palms on the clay. If you have such a strong suspicion about the Lyrica, has your doc suggested switching to Neurontin?

marion 03-29-2009 09:05 PM

pregablin

Hi yes I have already tried Nueroin and I didnt like it I will stick with the burningnhads etc the pain rellief is too good !! thaks for you reply Marion

Rosy 03-31-2009 06:44 PM

Have you tried switching to Cymbalta?? This is what I am in the midst of doing from Lyrica.

Terry Allen Blackburn 03-31-2009 06:56 PM

I hated the Lyrica initially. I took myself off of it and then went back on reluctantly. I worked beyond the side effects and realized that the benefit far outweighed the side effects. I hated the Neurontin and the Cymbalta. The Cymbalta made me so sleepy I yawned all of the time. I also had to force myself to eat as it took away my appetite. All drugs have side effects. You have to determine if the reward is greater than the discomfort.

Terry Newton

Kathy 03-31-2009 10:55 PM

I agree with Terry, on the side effects. I initally couldn't tell that Lyrica was doing anything for me. I went on and off of it several times, just because I was sick of spending tons of money on prescriptions. I then had my dose increased and that is when I felt a benefit. The Cymbalta initally took ALL of my pain away. I was in therapy at the time and think that they did something to me, because it came back with vengance. I had got down to 1 vicodin a day; but had to go back up. When I started with my new pain dr. he doubled my cymbalta and lyrica. The first day I took both together and it was like I was high on something. I couldn't talk, and passed out for 5 hours. I now take half the dose at night and half in the morning and don't seem to have any side effects (oh, I can take them at the same time now)
HTH,
Kathy

Justin 03-31-2009 11:34 PM

Hey Maz,

I agree with Terry and Kathy (not surprisingly ;)). Anyway, I initially tried Lyrica and it did not agree with me--I became hypersensitive to pain. Even if my wife touched my legs or the sheets touched them it was awful (I compare it to diabetic peripheral neuropathy). Needless to say, I stopped the Lyrica and tired Topamax. Topamax works wonders for a great deal of people. However, it's referred to ask "Stupidmax" in the hospital because it really affects cognition. I had extreme trouble with easy things like word choice. I couldn't name basic things--I would just have to point at the object because I forgot the name. :rolleyes: Well, this didn't work well with school...imagine that?!?

Now, I'm on 60 mg/QD of Cymbalta for the neuropathic indication and I think it helps. However, I started all of my "pain" meds at the same time so it's truly hard to tell if it is really working out of the pain pill cocktail I currently take. I'm sure it is working (even if I don't really notice) because it works on norepinephrine and serotonin receptors in the brain.

I would definitely give Topamax a try--not all people experience side effects on it. As always, consult your treating physician(s).

Kathy 03-31-2009 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. J (Post 7950)
I agree with Terry and Kathy (not surprisingly ;)).

Great minds run on the same track!:D