Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Bone Density Results in the Main forums forums; Hi, I do have doctor appointments in the future but will be waiting awhile. In the meantime does anyone have ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 12:38 AM

Default Bone Density Results

Hi, I do have doctor appointments in the future but will be waiting awhile. In the meantime does anyone have any knowledge of the following? I got my bone density test back. Not what I had hoped for.

It says osteopenia for hip and spine. Does anyone know anything about how that may affect my chances for ADR or Fusion? If I can't have either I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm trying to find out what I can do to help myself.

I am already taking calcium, magnesium and D (nettle and horsetail included in that). I am also on Arimidex which I must take as a hormone blocker (due to previous cancer) which does have a reputation to cause problems with this.

I will be able to talk to a doctor but my appt.s might be awhile and wondered if anyone had any ideas or personal experience in regards to this.

Thanks D

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:50 AM

D,

Others will have much more specifics but an American doctor will have limits that might prohibit ADR surgery. In Germany, this is less of a problem.

Do you have your actual score which provides more information?

Dale
Old 05-19-2009, 01:23 AM

I think the degree of osteopenia is important, do you know your scores?

It will also depend on the scores at the specific spots, for instance my T-scores got better farther down my spine, which happens to be where I need my ADR (I don't know what they would have said if I had needed ADR at my L1/2 though ).

In Germany (I don't know if they do it in the US), they can do Vertebroplasty. Which if I understand correctly is a kind of cement, or glue, or something, that reinforces the bone around the ADR site. Hopefully someone will come in and explain this better.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone
Old 05-19-2009, 03:11 AM

I think that arthritis is more of a problem with ADR than fusion, but that's just what I've heard. I'm sorry that I can't give you anything more specific.

I know of a woman who just went over to Germany and was having stem cell treatment (I believe) to rebuild her bone. It was in pretty bad shape, and she was first having that, then a hybrid, I think. I can get more details from her if you like.

I hope this isn't as bad as you think. Positive thoughts headed your way.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:19 AM

I believe that treefrog is correct in saying it depends on the severity of osteopenia. I have osteopenia but was able to raise my scores with Actonel (one of the biophosphanates) and did receive ADR. I don't know if this is relevant to the issue of ADR and osteopenia, but the device I received (Cervical Prestige-ST) does not require bone in-growth to fix the implant.
Spinal issues aside, since you are taking a drug which can lower bone density and now have evidence that that is occurring, you might want to discuss adding a biophosphanate to your medication regimen.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:34 AM

Default Bone density results

Hi, this is what I received from the doctor yesterday!

I hae osteopenia (between normal and osteoporosis). The reading:
SPINE BMD=0.87 g/cm2
SPINE T score=1.6
SPINE Z score = 0.7
TOTAL HIP BMD -0.75 g/cm2
TOTAL HIP T score=-1.6
TOTAL HIP Z score= -1.0
Femoral neck density 0.71 g/cm2, T-score-1.3.

Sounds greek to me. ??????

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:28 AM

A T score less than -1.0 indicates osteopenia; a T score less than -2.5 indicates osteoporosis. The scores are a way of comparing your bone density to the average bone density of a 20-something woman (at the peak of bone density). The scores are subject to several variables, including whether you are short, which machine was used and your exact position during the scan, whether you have scoliosis (and probably whether you have osteophytes).
You can get more info here:
Bone Health for Life - DEXA

According to your scores, the osteopenia is showing in your hip and not your spine. Also, if I remember correctly, the cut-off at least for the ADR trials, was -2.0. Ultimately, it will be your surgeon's decision, of course.
Again, because of the medication you are on, I would ask about some treatment for bone density--a woman I know who is being treated for breast cancer just received some IV med for bone density. I'm not sure if IV biophosphanates are the way to go because they've been more associated with jaw necropsy, so you need to really discuss this with your doctor.
Sorry to make this more complicated for you!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:34 PM

Default Interesting!

Ok, thank you for that information. I have put a call into the doc right after I got my results to see if there is something more she can do for me while I am on the arimidex (estrogen blocker) Thanks for the input.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:49 PM

Default my rheumatologist said...

I'm on injectable Forteo daily for osteoporosis (lumbar t score t-2.6) and hips are t-2.8/2.7. I have a strong family history of osteoporosis with both parents and my brother who is 59.

The rheumatologist ordered all kinds of labwork that came back very good and he asked about my calcium supplemental intake to which I replied I don't take any because my stomach gets really upset with any/all types I've tried.

He then said that studies have shown that people that are taking supplemental calcium of 1200 to 1500 mg/daily will likely absorb 10% of this and persons that are just getting nutritional calcium daily recommendation will absorb 60% of this. So he basically said it's fine if I don't take the supplements but try to make sure I eat well and include enough calcium in my diet with calcium rich foods.

He also said he knows that the Forteo will build the bone and in 18mo. time I will have normal bone mineral density and then will need to start Reclast IV administration once/year after 2 years on Forteo to maintain my then normal BMD.

The thing is that I hope I can continue to have the insurance that pays for the Forteo.. this is 4th month on it for me.

Last edited by Maria; 05-23-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:19 AM

Default Maria

Thank you SO much for this information!!!! I will speak to doctor about it as soon as she returns. She is out of office. Thank you!!!

Old 05-24-2009, 08:39 AM

I had a T score of -2 when I was operated on 1.5 years ago in Germany. I was 44 yo at the time (!). More then that and they would not have operated. During the surgery it turned out my L4/L5 was "pretty soft" what ever that means but ADR was placed carefull with sucess. i was told any weaker then that and they would not have done it. The bone cement seems to only be for the case were the bone turns out too weak during or right after the surgery when they can go in and inject in the hope of hardening bone enough to prevent subsidence. Somewhere I read that the bone cement will prevent or make more difficult future ADR removal.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:45 PM

Default thanks

Thanks again for all the info.

Hey fuzzy...that's some beard you got!!!!!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:05 AM

My recent DXA - shows different areas - my worst is L3 at -1/5 T score Osteopenia & this is the same as it was 5 yr's ago by the way. The Z score looks alot better comparing to my age group worst at the same level is -0.4. Hips are better that is a T of .03 & a Z score of 1.3 NO minuses for either the T or the Z. For your info I was told my DXA was fine by Dr Fenk Mayer in Germany.

I just wonder if I need any measurements taken for my neck ? I know as my hips & back show the density can vary. It may not be a bad idea but they are not asking for that - Jill