ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   iSpine (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/)
-   -   OK confused... eleptical trainers... (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/1527-ok-confused-eleptical-trainers.html)

symara 05-21-2009 02:26 PM

OK confused... eleptical trainers...

After my previous surgeries I was told eleptical trainers were good to use because they were low impact, as long as I used them for short amounts of time at first and did not use the arms.

I could not use them until I was cleared by the doctor to also...

So, is this wrong now?

In the past when my back has felt sore or tight it's actually felt better after using them. (between disc herniations)

:confused:

Katie 05-21-2009 08:23 PM

I hate to see a thread where no one has answered. ;) I've never tried one of these trainers, but are you asking if it's OK to use one until you hear from your doctor, or to use one at all? Are you asking if the practice of using them at all is wrong? Guess I'm just confused and wondering if you could clarify please.

symara 05-21-2009 08:46 PM

well, I guess I'm asking in general is it alright for your back... did it contribute to mine going out, even though I actually felt better after using it.

also, is it something I shouldn't get on even if the dr or PT says it's safe after surgery?

I'm just confused about the whole thing now. Should I just get rid of mine now and get the tread mill like my husband wanted all along.:(

dshobbies 05-22-2009 12:03 AM

Symara,

I know an inversion table is no longer on the yes list and some docs feel the same with the TENS unit but I've heard nothing about the eleptical. I would tend to trust my doctor's instructions. If your pt is in agreement,:confused:. However, if you think this has contributed to your pain/herniation, stop using it. Kind of a no-brainer. There's so many machines out there, I'm sure you can find something you like without straining your back.

Everyone is so individual that something that may be OK for most, may not be good for you. We have to be active participants in our own health care. But at the same time, I've never asked about the eleptical and never saw it brought up before.

Dale

sahuaro 05-22-2009 12:16 AM

My personal trainer has indicated that the elliptical is a good machine for lumbar patients because it puts less strain on the lower back. She also recommends recumbent bikes or stationery bikes as long as you are not hunched over the handlebars. But you are the best judge of how your body is responding. (just to explain: I have been working with a personal trainer to make sure my form is correct to prevent injuries, and to keep me motivated and push up the exercises).

symara 05-22-2009 11:48 AM

thanks everyone, and no, I don't think it contributed to the herniation.

I would feel better after doing the trainer, so I think it was helping my muscles at the time. I can't wait to get my back fixed again so I can get back on it... I'm blowing up like a balloon here and can't wait to get back on it.