ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   iSpine (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/)
-   -   Thoracic Herniation Surgery (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/1551-thoracic-herniation-surgery.html)

jchebert1979 06-06-2009 12:01 AM

Thoracic Herniation Surgery

I know that this is an ADR board and that there are no ADR's for the thoracic area yet, but I would like to know if anyone here has had surgery for thoracic herniations. If you have been following my post surgery blog you know that I now believe the herniations at T3-4 and T6-7 are contributing to my problems.

I see my spine surgeon for a follow up on the 19th and will discuss further options with him. I know that the surgery for thoracic herniations is much more difficult than the cervical area or lumbar. I have researched the different methods but finding information is hard.

If anyone here can share their experiences with thoracic herniation surgery I would greatly appreciate it.

jessmith07 06-06-2009 08:04 AM

Thoracic ADR

J-

Mark, mmglobal, had an ADR in his thoracic region...you may want to get in touch with him. Also, in Germany, Dr. Bertagnoli is currently doing a procedure where they perform a discectomy/laminectomy on the herniated discs, then take a portion of the removed disc along with some of your blood, and send it to a lab that then recreates new, healthy disc cells that are then injected back into your damaged discs after about 3 months (after you have healed from the surgical procedure). I don't believe that this procedure is available in the US. It's called ADCT (Autologous disc-derived cell transplantion).

Here's a link to an article discussing this procedure in the cervical region:
co.don(R) AG -- Biological Repair of Cervical Intervertebral Disc

Here's a link to a company that uses this technology (where they grow the new cells):
Patient

I suggest asking Mark if he can help you get in touch with Dr. B and sending all of your test results to him to see if you are a candidate for this procedure.

Hope this helps.
Jess

jchebert1979 06-06-2009 03:56 PM

Mainly I am looking for experts in thoracic spine surgery here in the states that accept major insurance carriers. I will most probably be using Mark's services, however if you have read my other posts, you know that I have pretty much been bled dry. I have very limited resources left and I have to be as sure as I can before I use them. As it is I will be relying on my ability to convince my insurance to pay for Germany if that is the course of action. I already have a few ideas that I am working on.

I have gone on and on about wishing I could have found this site or gone with Dr. B from the beginning when I had the money to do so, but I have come to terms that until this surgery I didn't truly know what was wrong with me. It still doesn't excuse the constant misdiagnosis, but there was no way I could have known and I need to accept that. It is hard.

As far as the ADCT, unless I win the lottery, I am not even going to consider the option. Also I still need further testing to diagnose which discs are causing the problem. I will be asking for a CT myelogram (which I have not had) of the thoracic and cervical spine and then for a discogram (which I have been offered but refused). I am not scared of the pain from the cervical area, but I don't think I could bear the thoracic pain as it causes heart palpitations, trouble breathing, and constant unrelenting panic.
Thanks for the input. I have a lot to think about.

Aaron 06-13-2009 01:26 AM

two i know of

I was scheduled with Dr. Regan through Mark for thorasic fusion with VATS. Ins. issues canceled that. Also I have heard Dr. Dickman has alot of experience with thorsic problems. From what I hear him and regan are the top of the line.

Be aware, Dr. Regan's office is not org. ,but thats forgivable if he is a good surgeon.

jchebert1979 06-14-2009 03:29 PM

I just googled Dr. Dickman and I see he is in Pheonix. He would be great because I have family in Tucson that I would be able to stay with and he is also contracted with BCBS.