ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   iSpine (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/)
-   -   Numb fingers? (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/1627-numb-fingers.html)

jessmith07 09-01-2009 02:54 PM

Numb fingers?

Has anyone with cervical problems experienced any numbness in their fingertips? If so, did you already know you had cervical issues prior to that feeling, or did you find out after the fact that that's what was happening?

Reason I'm asking is, all of the sudden, all of my fingertips on both hands have gone numb, and I'm having a little trouble typing. :confused: I haven't taken any medication. I'm a lumbar spiney with DDD, and I've often wondered that me being so young and having so many back problems with no obvious trauma (no car accidents or slip-and-falls) that my future is more likely to have cervical issues in store for me as well.

I know I haven't been posting much lately, but my life has been beautifully uneventful. I've been home all summer with my kids (:eek:), taking things slowly and healing from my 2 level lumbar ADR (3 months ago).

Thanks!
Jess

dshobbies 09-01-2009 05:11 PM

Jess,

My husband had no history of any back problems at all nor was there any family history (except me). Out of nowhere, his fingers started tingling. Sure enough, the MRI showed 3 herniated discs.

I've often sang the praises of something called flexion/distraction therapy. When performed by the right chiropractor, this can be healing. In his case, it was and he's been 100% pain free for several years. Then his lumbar spine also went south and again, I send him to the same practitioner.

I do not advocate chiropractic care that involves 'adjustments'. I believe that is the reason my disc ruptured in the first place. He should have known better.

You need an MRI before proceeding with anything. If your discs aren't too far gone and your interested in learning more, I'll be happy to explain further.

One more thing, since my surgery, I carry myself very stiffly with a great deal of tension in my neck and shoulders. Meditating helps but I just started Pilates classes which I'm hoping will 'cure' me of this subconscious habit. Only an MRI will tell you the story.

I'm so sorry you find yourself dealing with additional problems. You'd think nature would have improved upon spines by now;)

Good luck Jess, Dale

steve55 09-02-2009 03:08 AM

Numb fingers

How ironic. Just 2 weeks ago , I started getting numb fingers. Now I feel A pressure in my hands and arms as if they are next. I can only hope my next surgery to remove my subsiding ADR will resolve this new numbness thing.

Dang, hard to believe that you just fixed your lumbar stuff , only to have cervical issues now : ( Man, that must be extremely dissapointing.

Katie 09-04-2009 04:11 AM

Jess, yes same thing. Only it is my arms and hands, not just my fingers that are numb. It happens when I type or use my hands for my artwork, etc.

I know from my MRIs that I have fairly severe compression of my spinal cord with herniated C4/5 & 5/6, and have other problems as well. This is just the latest symptom, but is the one that my surgeon is taking most seriously in regards to doing surgery.

I'm so glad that you have had a successful lumbar surgery. If you do need the cervical done, it is supposed to be much easier to recover from if that is any consolation :o I'm looking at having to get five levels fixed, in both lumbar and cervical, so I feel your pain!