Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss case of disc fragment resorption in the Main forums forums; Months ago I declined offer of surgery for ongoing acute pain caused by loose disc fragment pressure on nerve, and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 12:11 AM

Default case of disc fragment resorption

Months ago I declined offer of surgery for ongoing acute pain caused by loose disc fragment pressure on nerve, and recently had a follow up MRI scan.
It seems I might be an example of the body attacking and breaking down the sequestered disc fragment.
Unfortunately I'm still suffering significant pain and mobility limitation. It is thought nerve has been damaged. I suppose the disc tear could also be involved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg july axial.jpg (5.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg July sag.jpg (5.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg nov sag.jpg (5.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg nov axial.jpg (8.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-22-2009, 04:17 PM

Thanks for attaching your images Crystal, they're fascinating to see but I'm so sorry you've still got pain despite what's happened with the disc fragments. Hope they're wrong about the possible nerve damage, maybe it's going to be a wait and see scenario?
Wishing the best for you
Lynette
Old 11-22-2009, 08:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to Keano16 Send a message via Skype™ to Keano16

Was your MRI with contrast? Contrast can clearly isolate and show disc tear

Regards

2005 - 2012: Rich personal experience with spinal disorders and various treatments (surgical, therapeutic, diagnostic)
Co-Founder: Vertebris Internationl Spine Hospital
Founder: Spinoteka - Society for Spine Diseases
Old 11-23-2009, 11:52 PM

The posted images all were contrast MRI. They have similar "bright" spots, except the fragment no longer shows, though still a little blurry in that area to my eye. So it may not be necessary to jump straight into surgery for a free fragment, if you can stand the symptoms.

Regarding disc tears I am not sure the quality of scan was good enough to detect them. I wish it was.

Report says I have DDD in 4 discs, from T10/11 to L1/2. Some loss of height and signal and bulges. I assume all these discs have therefore been torn completely thru.

Surgeon said disc tears NEVER heal. That sank me. Does anyone here have any experience with full thickness disc tears. Can they heal or seal up?
Or do they cause accelerated rapid DDD requiring surgery in a short period of time?