ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   iSpine (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/)
-   -   Any help for L5S1 pain??? (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/1810-any-help-l5s1-pain.html)

lindawsa 06-01-2010 10:19 PM

Any help for L5S1 pain???

Hi everyone,
I used to follow all of these forums as madd a long long time ago. Basically, my back to again feeling bad and I am starting to wonder if it is now time to surgically take care of it!
I have been told by surgeon after surgeon that I need to have L5S1 fused. I don't want a fusion, I want an ADR. I have Blue Cross PPO and I want to know how much financially I will have to put into my back. Also, I need to find a good dr. (and compassionate too) in the Los Angeles area.
I am currently on Neurontin once a day, Lyrica 4 times a day and Norco 4 times a day. I am scared that once they do surgery they will leave me with no alternative but to go through rough withdrawls from all of the medication that I have taken for years!!
I work full time as a secretary and it is getting unbearable to work a full day without taking extra meds.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Linda

Gil Denis 06-02-2010 12:26 AM

Hi Linda

A fusion at L5-S1 is not a bad thing, How is your L4-L5 and so on.

Fusion have been around for a long long time Adr not so long,

Fusing at your level with no other issues you will be fine or even ADR But if you have other issues I would do more research.

In Santa Monica there is Dr Delamarter and lots of other ADR surgeons.

All The Best

Gil:eek:

Maria 06-02-2010 06:31 PM

re the meds

Linda,
I think that the doctors wouldn't be taking you off pain meds prior to surgery or the Lyrica or other medication used for neuropathies perhaps anything such as Aspirin or Non steroidal antiinflammatory meds one has to stop taking a week before surgery or so..

I'd see Dr.Regan here in LA area and Dr.Delamarter in Santa Monica and there are other good surgeon in this area as well to consider. The two mentioned previously are Orthopedic Spine Surgeons. There's Dr.Coufal a Neurosurgeon in San Diego (also has an office in Long Beach I think) who gets excellent reports and actually I've seen all 3 surgeons (and done nothing further than my 2 discectomies).

For myself I've waited too long most likely and fusion may be my only option and as some people have reported very good to excellent results more than likely part and parcel of a good decision is a great surgeon.

Good luck with all

mmglobal 06-03-2010 12:28 AM

where in LA are you?

Good luck with Blue Cross... they have not been much help w/ADR yet.

Mark

lindawsa 06-04-2010 03:34 AM

I'm in Torrance. I talked to you via another website and you mentioned that you used to fly out of Torrance. :) I saw Dr. Regan once and was not really impressed with him. then his office sent everyone a letter saying that he was not going to take Blue Cross patients anymore.

dshobbies 06-04-2010 03:20 PM

Quick reply Linda, - and welcome

You have good info on LA docs. Now ask yourself - do the want the best doctor or a good one with compassion. You have only 1 decision to get this right the first time. I'd go with a great one professionally. Personality and compassion is a plus few back surgeons have.

Dale

nomorepain 07-11-2010 05:03 AM

also in the south bay

have you tried Doc Delamarter, i had ADR surgery in the trials years ago.
i beleive he takes all kinds of insurance, if anyone can get it approved his office can was my experience

dridobits 07-12-2010 02:15 AM

Docs.

Again, Delemarter (sp)? has a good reputation. I believe you can see a video of him on utube or on his site. He wouldn't take me as I had cancer and wasn't five years out. The people were a little rood to me on the phone about that but that's no big deal. It's the surgeon's skills that are important. Good luck. If you wanted to travel there are good guys at UCSF as well.

Keep us posted.

Eastex 08-10-2010 01:27 AM

Linda,
I had a fusion at L5/S1 on 2/6/09. I could of gotten a ADR, but I felt uncomfortable with the devices to chose from. They haven't been out there in patients long enough to prove that they are reliable. At L5/S1 you won't lose your motion with a fusion. The only problem I have is leg and tailbone pain still. I am still taking 20mg Opana ER 3x daily and hydrocodone compound 2x daily for break through pain. I recently started seeing an acupuncture doctor. He is doing electro stimulation, infrared and giving me an amazing massage at the end of treatment. When I leave there I feel amazing. Some days I hurt real bad and live through the massage. The tears are ready to flow on painful days. But when he is done I feel better. His electro stimulation beats a spinal chord stimulator by a long shot. When I had my trial, I had to turn it up so high to get tail bone relief, that my legs would start hurting worse than ever. With his, he puts the needles in only the parts that hurt. It pinpoints the areas and sets each one to stimulate enough for relief. If I could walk around all day like this I would. So much better than the medtronic stimulator. Sorry if I got of subject.

Maria 08-10-2010 01:24 PM

appointments

Linda
Just wondering if you had made any appts. w/doctors mentioned in the LA area (or others). As I recall it took me several months to get an initial appt. w/Dr.Delamarter and the appt. I got w/Dr. Regan was thru Mark Mintzer, the one with Dr.Coufal was made by CA state board of WC and I think they gave me at least a month's notice or more (can't recall now as it's been so long -2006).

Hope the process is coming along for you. take care!

joejoe 08-10-2010 10:29 PM

Good luck

I have to agree with best Doctor, over bedside manor. I am currently seeing Delamarter, He is at Cedar Sinai now. It took 2 months to get an appointment. I saw him the first time, he recommended a discogram. It took me another month and a half to get back in to see him. After talking to many of his patience,and doing alot of research. Ive decided to let him do my surgeries. My appointment was yesterday. We waited for 2and a half hours past my appointment time, but when we left i felt very confident in him. Good luck to you.