Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Jaw Pain in the Main forums forums; Hi i am starting week 5 of wearing a cervical collar. I had a cervical osteotomy and revision surgery from ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 09:20 PM

Smile Jaw Pain

Hi i am starting week 5 of wearing a cervical collar. I had a cervical osteotomy and revision surgery from C4- T-5. About a week ago i started getting jaw pain on the right side along with ear pain and around that whole right side of my face pain. The jaw pain started about a week ago the other that i wrote about started sooner.
I am wearing the Aspen VISTA TS.
i also have 2 loose screws at the top of the fusion and wonder if that could be the culprit.
I was wondering if anyone else experienced pain from wearing the brace. Mine is actually pretty darn comfortable.
thanks
judy sewell
Old 02-10-2011, 11:13 PM

Default Tmj ?

I have found that the stress from my neck causes me to clinch my teeth at night. It started about two years ago. I got a bite gaurd to wear at night while I sleep and it's much better. You can get one from your dentist for $2000.00 (some medical covers it) OR your can go on line and order one for $150.00. If not TMJ then I would have cranial massage done. Sometimes it could be pressure or stress. Cranial nerves and upper level c 2/3 control the face, so who knows. Have you told your doctor?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:40 AM

I have had problems with that side of my jaw before. Wondering if it is arthritis. When i was in high school i took my German Shephard to the vets, she was sedated (it wore off instantly when we got to the vets and kicked back in when it was time to go) Anyway she had a muzzle on , but i took her face to hold anyway. Oh she really knocked me in my jaw and it hurt like crazy. probably had some type of injury back then.
I always wake up with this brace on thinking i am being strangled so it is probably stress and or tmj .
I had all of it written down for my doc and planned on giving it to him (the sheet of paper) but he took notes instead this time. So i am not sure if i mentioned the jaw. Just the shoulders for sure and the lower back which are causing the most pain.
thanks

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 02-11-2011, 03:47 PM

Default jaw pain

I have TMJ too and sometimes get jaw pain partic on my right side as I must clench the most on that side but also seem to get more of my neck pain on that side or so it seems lately. I wear a nightguard everynight.

What you've written re injury to the face on that side and possibly your collar might be causing some pain. Have you had dental xrays recently there to r/o any dental cause for pain as well? I was watching Dr.Oz the other day and hearing that women often exhibit jaw pain and shoulder pain as part of sign of heart attack vs. classic chest pain. My Mom had angina and jaw pain was her main symptom however of course was alleviated with nitroglycerin. Still now that I'm nearing 60 (3 years from) I consider these things whereas years ago I would have just "poo-pooed" any thought like this.

Good luck w/getting it figured out. I hope it's not too painful or distracting and there will be an accurate diagnosis for the pain and treatment.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:55 PM

Thanks Maria
When i was diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica a few years ago it also causes jaw pain, do to muscles being inflammed. So i probably am holding lots of stress in my neck and contributing or causing the jaw pain. It is better as i loosen the brace a bit when i am sitting and it feels too tight. 3 more weeks full time in this thing

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5