ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   iSpine (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/)
-   -   Questions about imaging of the M6c cervical disc (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/2029-questions-about-imaging-m6c-cervical-disc.html)

Jarrod 03-10-2011 09:49 PM

Questions about imaging of the M6c cervical disc

Hello,

I recently had a cervical MRI done at my 3 month check up and the images were distorted in the neuroformenal opening of the spine at all three levels.
The spinal stenosis was taken care of and the MRI report stated there is no stenosis noted and you can look at the scan and see that.
My question is: is there a special type of MRI scan that I can have to make sure that the decompression was successful at the operated levels. My worry is i only had radiopathy in my left arm and some upper back pain pre op, and i am still ahving some hand clumbsiness and numbness, my grip is strong though, but my extensor muscles in my hand are so weak, does this go away once the nerve heals or is it permeanent. It is mostly my thumb and forfinger. My Dr. wanted A myleo ct, but that is 5000-7000.00 dollars and a stay in the hospital, so since i am not made of money is there another way to see the nerve roots and make sure they are decompressed and not in danger thus causeing my symptoms. I thought the m6 was suppose to be MRI friendly. Thanks for the help and advice.

Jarrod

mmglobal 03-13-2011 08:01 AM

CT myelo is the obvious choice. I get CT myelogram done for my clients in So. Cal for about 1800.

Mark

cherylstewart67 03-13-2011 04:37 PM

MRI vs CT Myelogram

MRI is better for seeing the soft tissue such as the nerve roots and spinal cord, between the facets but the CT myelogram will show more of the bone such as spurs and so forth. Okay, so enough of what we've been told. Wouldn't it seem though, that either way if the nerve root is blocked, it would show up?

mmglobal 03-13-2011 09:31 PM

Judy, "artifact" on MRI (and CT as well) from the prosthesis distorts the image so the area immediately surrounding the prosthesis is not viewed very clearly (or at all).

If you can imagine a picture that you would draw with a magnet... then put a big magnet on it. It would destroy the picture in the area immediately surrounding the magnet.

Jarrod 03-13-2011 10:30 PM

Mark,

Have you had clients on the east coast that you have sent for myleo ct. Im in Daytona Beach Fl. Cali is a good ride for the test from here. I would gladly pay that instead of 5000-7000, dollars, is this a stay in the hospital too, or is it outpatient. Im gonna wait another 3 months to see if i improve further before the myleo ct. I just worry myself to death thinking that the nerves are being compromised and Im sure there not but my symptoms are still hanging around somewhat. Mark, is it ok to ask for your email address so that I can contact you directly when the time comes for the myleo ct. Thank you everyone for your imput.

Jarrod

jsewell 03-14-2011 06:57 PM

Mark thanks for the explanation of artifacts. I guess with my having hardwear from C4-L2 i am pretty much done with having any value in those tests.!!
Have a safe trip this week;)
judy