ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   iSpine (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/)
-   -   S1 nerve root regeneration/healing possible? (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/2104-s1-nerve-root-regeneration-healing-possible.html)

CraigCharles 06-24-2011 12:01 AM

S1 nerve root regeneration/healing possible?

~11 years ago (I was 52 y.o.) my sciatica began with severe pain from my left buttock, down my left leg into my foot - suggestive of S1 compression. After 6 months of rest and PT, I had only numbness in my outer left toes. However, the pain/dysesthesia gradually spread back into the outer sole and toes. I could neither stand/walk or sit for more thqan 1/2 hour. About a year later I had a hemilaminectomy at L4. No improvement; got worse.

On 5/3/11, I again had surgery. The surgeon said that the L5-S1 had fused (by itself). He proceded to fuse L4-L5, did a hemilam at L4-L5 and L5-S1, and removed a significant amount of scar tissue from the previous surgery which was impacting the S1 nerve root. The surgeon said the S1 nerve root was "free", nothing impacting it.

Now, I'm on rest and rehab. No bending. twisting, lifting, etc. for at least 3 months, then we'll see. I still have numbness in my outer sole/toes. The pain is less, but I'm not doing anything.

Is it possible that the S1 root can/will regenerate; can I get my life back?

CraigCharles

dshobbies 06-24-2011 05:47 PM

Hi CC and welcome to the forum.

As we say - welcome to the other side. And to answer your question, yes, it is possible for nerves to heal but it can take quite a long time. You're only two months out of surgery and to suggest too much is premature.

By all means, listen to the restrictions byour doctor places on your healing. Also, if it hurts, don't do it.

However, when the time is right, if you're still dissatisfied with your pain, numbness after about 6 months, I would suggest acupuncture. My surgery caused a lot of nerve damage and I didn't seek this help until 18 months post op but it was the only thing that helped - alot. I was told he could have done much more if he got me at 6 months. As with all health care practitioners, quality counts.

Also, the B vitamins are beneficial to nerves. I'd go with a soluable kind.

Good luck and keep us posted, Dale

mmglobal 06-24-2011 09:18 PM

Craig and Charles... sorry you find yourself here.

the hemilaminectomy is kind of a maximum decompression, so if ongoing compression was the source of the symptoms, I hope that you'll experience some relief as everything cools down.

It is amazing that nerve symptoms can continue to improve for 18 months - 2 years and even more. I would bet that it's possible to get relief as time wears on, or that some or all of this is already permanent. Be smart about your recovery and give yourself the best chance to fuse and have a maximum recovery. This will be especially difficult when you start to feel better.

Good luck... please keep us posted,

Mark