ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   iSpine (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/)
-   -   Do Surgically Removed Osteophytes Grow Back? (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/2196-do-surgically-removed-osteophytes-grow-back.html)

ADR seeker 12-01-2011 11:38 PM

Do Surgically Removed Osteophytes Grow Back?

My cervical spinal canal is to narrow and that's congenital. If that were not enough I have bulging disks and osteophytes pressing on nerves and the cord. I was told by a surgeon that if the osteophytes were removed surgically that they would grow back with a vengeance. I was told by a chiropractor that the jury is still out on that.

Does anyone really know the answer? Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

cherylstewart67 12-26-2011 08:39 PM

unfortunatly yes they can

This is basically a term for bone spurs and they can grow back.:(

ADR seeker 12-26-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherylstewart67 (Post 16215)
This is basically a term for bone spurs and they can grow back.:(

Do you have any data or studies? If the chances of them coming back are 50 50 then I would have the surgery. A flip of a coin is better than a roll of the dice.

cherylstewart67 12-28-2011 05:40 PM

No data or studies needed

Some of these growths are calcifications. They may be formed by friction which if it still exist and is not resolved, then it can grow back. Sorry for the all caps, my hands are not working well today...none of this spine stuff seems to be a solid science. Some have good results some do not. :( my nerve pain is so bad due to ddd and facet joint that i can barely stand to work anymore.

Maria 12-30-2011 10:11 PM

re growing back

I've often wondered if they would grow back (thought that quite possible and probably likely) and at what rate perhaps. Wondering too what might make them grow back quicker and how to possibly slow or inhibit this possibility.

mmglobal 12-31-2011 01:22 AM

If the surgery repairs the reason the osteophytes have formed, they should not return. Bone grow as a response to a mechanical problem. When the irritation caused by the collapsed disc space no longer occurs, the osteophytes shoud not reform.

Mark

mmglobal 12-31-2011 01:24 AM

Also, what is the alternative... leave the osteophytes that are compressing the spinal cord because you fear that they might grow back?

I've seen surgeons use bone wax on the front of the vertebrea where anterior osteophytes have been removed. I have never seen it used anywhere near the spinal canal.

Mark

cherylstewart67 01-02-2012 07:33 PM

very true

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmglobal (Post 16238)
Also, what is the alternative... leave the osteophytes that are compressing the spinal cord because you fear that they might grow back?

I've seen surgeons use bone wax on the front of the vertebrea where anterior osteophytes have been removed. I have never seen it used anywhere near the spinal canal.

Mark

sometimes treatment is on going process for this....at least you would have some relief for a while. how long would be a case-by-case. each person is different as you know.

teg 01-03-2012 04:13 AM

Osteophytes After ADR

When I had some xrays taken this summer for my follow-up adr surgery for dr. b, the xrays showed a large ostophyte at l2-l3. This is the level above by three level adr. The disc at this level is also degenerated.

I think that an important point was made about the reason for the development of the bone spur. I am not in enough agony to find out why my bone spur has developed. I had a three level facet nerve denervatin done a couple of months ago and it has helped reduce my pain. Heck, the steriod injection into my knee has also helped with my lower back pain. Before my knee injection I walked with a limp that caused my lower back to get knotted up and painful.

Anyway, I hope you find resolution to your back pain. Thank you for letting me rant.

Thelma

ADR seeker 01-03-2012 07:51 AM

Thanks for your input.:)