ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   iSpine (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/)
-   -   Intrathecal pump? (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/2203-intrathecal-pump.html)

mmglobal 12-16-2011 09:09 AM

Intrathecal pump?

I saw my pain management doc a couple of days ago. We had already discussed the possibility of using a spinal cord stimulator. My pain does not seem to be radicular, so I don't think I'm an optimum candidate for an SCS.

He floated the idea of an intrathecal pump. The receptors that are blocked by the opiates are in the brain. Systemic meds flood our bodies so a tiny percentage of the medication passes the blood brain barrier. The side effects of long term, high dose opiate use are very substantial.

An intrathecal pump delivers medications directly into the cerebrospinal fluid which is on the brain side of the blood brain barrier. Because of this, 1/300th the amount of medication is required to achieve the same effect. (according to my PM doc)

I'm still light years away from considering such an implant, but this is very interesting. My options seem to be:

1. More nerve ablations, more aggressively. (Likely to cause a permanent band of numbness that wraps around my chest. I experienced this for a few days after my previous ablations... not very pleasant.)

2. Resect rib heads. (Likely to cause the same band of numbness. I'm not sure exactly how we'll decide which ones to remove?)

3. Continue suffering. I'm getting to be very, very limited. When it's bad, I'm housebound and in severe pain for hours every day. For many months, good days are few and far between.)

4. Intrathecal pump.

5. SCS... While stimulators have been recommended as something that 'sometimes works for axial pain...not just radicular pain... I'm not inclined to try this.

I'm not quite sure where I'm headed with this... I'm going try to get through the holidays, then start up again.

Here is a pretty comprehensive discussion of the pump and related issues.

Implantable Intrathecal Pumps for Chronic Pain: Highlights and Updates

If anyone finds more useful info... please post.

Happy Holidays!

Mark

jsewell 12-16-2011 02:53 PM

I'm so sorry you are at this point Mark. I hope it gives you some good days for the holiday's you deserve the good days.
judy

Maria 12-16-2011 03:54 PM

re intrathecal pump

Hey Mark,
I hope you will feel better more often and for longer periods. I don't like the idea of the intrathecal pump after reading about what several people on another forum I'm on regularly have gone thru. I sent you a pm so if you feel like write or call me.

I just hate that you're having more pain! RATZ!
take care~ Maria

Eddie G 01-10-2012 03:24 PM

Sorry to hear you have to still make these decisions. Is the neurostimulator implant you researched called "Restore Sensor"? They all sound the same to me. My TENS unit works fine (especially with a hydrocollator). I dont see the need for an implant and I'm in as much pain as anyone.

That pump sounds scary yet interesting...