ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   iSpine (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/)
-   -   rods? (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/2220-rods.html)

cherylstewart67 01-09-2012 12:10 AM

rods?

i had a surgeon want to place rod in my neck and fuse me that way. would i even be able to drive???

jsewell 01-09-2012 12:36 AM

I just imagine it would depend on your range of motion after you are on your way to healing. What levels are you talking about. I have hardwear in my neck front and back from C4 thru L4. So yes, my whole thoracic and almost all cervical and lumbar. I do drive although i have a somewhat limited range of motion. I have recently purchased a rear view mirror that is supposed to take away the blind spot and give a wider range of vision than a regular rear view. I have yet to install it though.
What did your doc say about driving?
judy

cherylstewart67 01-09-2012 12:40 AM

hi judy

i am fused from c3/4 - c5/6 and now they may have to stabelize the c2/3 and c6/7 as well. is my life over? :confused:

jsewell 01-09-2012 03:15 AM

Cheryl, your life is not over. No problem with C6-7 now the 2-3 I need to look up to see how much range of motion that level controls.
judy

jsewell 01-09-2012 03:47 AM

You have probably already looked up this info. Cervical 2 controls some of the side to side motion of the head. It may be as much as 50%. I think i remember being told this, i could be very wrong. I have lost motion in my neck and don't even know what a normal amount is! I do drive though. Good question for your surgeon though
good luck

Maria 01-09-2012 07:08 AM

re cervical ROM

I've met people who've not had any cervical surgery nor do they have significant pain however they do have quite a bit of limited ROM that they say is related do disk degeneration. Seems unless pain is involved or significant neurodeficits people don't want to have surgery (at least w/the people I've met). Guess I'd feel the same way. The loss of ROM can be present even w/o having surgery it appears.

jsewell 01-09-2012 03:38 PM

Maria is right , i had already lost range of motion before i had my original cervical surgery in 2007, so therefore i didn't notice any difference after the surgery. I did have pain and shooting electrical pain for about a year before i had it diagnosed.

On the other hand depending on what the cervical problem is, i have read that some people gain range of motion after cervical surgery. Google your condition and see what it says.
But the upper levels are trickier as they control more range
judy
hows that for a confusing post

cherylstewart67 01-18-2012 11:42 PM

thanks guys

i will not let anyone else fuse me unless emergency conditions exist. it would have to envole my spinal cord before i would let them. i may have to have some min invasive treaments such as removal of bone spurs, bulding disc lasered or even facet joint therapies but i will do what ever i can to buy time. i will not fuse again. i wont let anyonme do that. i has lead to adject levels ddd - i am for certain! the doc that suggested rods is not for me.