ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   iSpine (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/)
-   -   T10, T11 Burst Fracture (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/2306-t10-t11-burst-fracture.html)

RickS 06-13-2012 10:59 PM

T10, T11 Burst Fracture

Hi All! My 19 yr old son and I were recently involved in a motorcycle accident and he suffered a burst fracture to his T10 & T11 vertebrae. It's been over 3 weeks since the accident and the Dr. said that because the MRI showed that the ligaments were still intact that he didn't feel that surgery was necessary. He's been wearing a TLSO brace for 2 weeks now, and needs to wear it for at least 4 more weeks. He doesn't have any symptoms other than minor back pain at times which is easily alleviated with pain meds. Has anyone here suffered this type of injury? And what are his chances for a full recovery? I'd be happy to provide any additional info if I can. Thanks in advance!

mmglobal 06-14-2012 05:04 AM

Rick, sorry about your son's accident. We don't see too many of these types of injuries in the spine forums. They mostly happen to old folks, especially with osteoporosis.

Has the doctor mentioned the possibility of vertebroplasty or other such procedures intended to stabilize a burst fracture? Perhaps at his age and with the configuration of the fracture, they expect it to heal up without more siginficant intervention (than the brace.)

It's great news that he doesn't have symptoms other than easiliy controlled pain. To me, that sounds like they are not unstable or protruding into the spinal canal or foramen.

Please keep us posted. I look forward to hearing good news about his recovery!

All the best,

Mark

PS... Welcome to the forum!!

RickS 06-22-2012 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmglobal (Post 16910)
Rick, sorry about your son's accident. We don't see too many of these types of injuries in the spine forums. They mostly happen to old folks, especially with osteoporosis.

Has the doctor mentioned the possibility of vertebroplasty or other such procedures intended to stabilize a burst fracture? Perhaps at his age and with the configuration of the fracture, they expect it to heal up without more siginficant intervention (than the brace.)

It's great news that he doesn't have symptoms other than easiliy controlled pain. To me, that sounds like they are not unstable or protruding into the spinal canal or foramen.

Please keep us posted. I look forward to hearing good news about his recovery!

All the best,

Mark

PS... Welcome to the forum!!

That seems to be case.

He had a CT Scan last week and we saw the Neurosurgeon again today. He says that the vertebrae appear to be aligned and healing up nicely. What a relief that was! Anyway, he'll need to wear the brace for another 2-4 weeks after which we should be able to start PT. I'll keep you informed of his progress.

Thanks for welcome and the kind words Mark!