Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Lumbar fusion questions in the Main forums forums; : I'm scheculed to have multi level lumbar fusions this month. Can someone tell me what to expect afterwards? How ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 05:58 PM

Default Lumbar fusion questions

:
I'm scheculed to have multi level lumbar fusions this month. Can someone tell me what to expect afterwards? How long was your hospital stay and how was the travel home? I will be traveling 5 hrs.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:31 PM

Hi Margie,
i am practically all fused from C4 thru L5 . sorry i didn't check out the forum yesterday. could you give me some more info as to what levels you are having fused and when. I guess the when is because i hope you get all the answers out of me quickly as i am having anterior lumbar fusion on monday the 9th. I am having levels L2 thru L5 worked on. I also have 3 fractures there and have kyphosis instead of the normal lordosis in the lumbar area so a few more things will be done.
I have had a total of 9 spine surgeries for different reasons like allignment issues, too much curve impacting on my lung capacity as well as me stupidly breaking my neck.
Lots of pillows if traveling by car the 5 hours and lots of pain meds or up to date ones and lots of stops to get out and maybe walk a tiny amount. Anyway let me know any details such as i forgot to ask if it is posterior or anterior
Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 09-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Margie, I've seen post-op experiences that are all over the place... ranging from "I thought this was going to hurt", all the way to the other extreme.

I'd make sure that your doctor knows about the 5 hour trip... that might not be realistic just a few days after the surgery.

What kind of fusion are you having??? this could range from a relatively low-invasive surgery all the way to fairly large front AND back procedures. The bigger the surgery, the longer the likely hospital stay. Maybe as short as a day or two, or much longer depending on they type of recovery you have.

More later....

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-06-2013, 01:58 PM

I am having fusion of L2-L5 through the back. Scoliosis, degenerative disk disease, bulging disk and spinal stenosis. I was told it will be a 5 hr surgery with about a 7 day stay in the hospital.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Margie, that sounds like a fairly large procedure, confirmed by an anticipated 7 days in the hospital. Recovery will likely be difficult. I hope you'll have some help at home. One common mistake is for (mostly women) go home and immediately start taking care of everyone else with cooking and cleaning. Men have no problem letting everything in the house go... their problem is returning playing soccer or hockey too fast!

Good luck to you... please let us know how it goes.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-06-2013, 07:30 PM

Hi Margie,
I am having an anterior fusion and correction of kyphosis and some fractures on monday through the front.My doc always says about 5 days and i usually stay maybe one day more if nothing major goes on after. Last summer when he tried it through the back, the screws loosened do to another pituitary disease and my stay was a week, but i couldn't walk after, but insurance kicked me out.
anyway i had the screw, other instrumentation removal 6 weeks later and then I could walk again.
I have had many fusion surgeries however. I would say they get you up the next day and have you walk with a walker with a physical therapist. You learn how to do a kind of log roll to get out of bed as it hurts otherwise. you should have a pain pump which is controlled by you with a button about every 10 minutes give or take a few. Just keep it in your hands or very close. i usually loose mine when i fall asleep. Also you will have a catheter for a day or longer depending on your doctor. The pain pump will be for a few days also depending on your doctor and then you are put oral meds so you can adjust to going home. What else eat a lot of fiber in the hospital as you must have that bowel movement to go home!! I usually have physical therapy for a few weeks at home or sometimes just for a few times. Also a home health care nurse will come to see if she should come back on a regular basis. she is the one who orders the physical therapy as well.
If you have any more specific questions get me in the next few days because then i will be in the hospital myself
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 09-09-2013, 01:17 PM

Thank you very much for the information. It is helpful.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:54 PM

Default Where in Florida are you having your fusion surgery?

Hi Margie,

I live in FL and my husband is looking at options for a lumbar fusion. Where are you going for your surgery?

He has a hard time travelling by car....I think though that looking throughout the state for a surgeon is an option.

Best with your surgery!

Thanks,

Sessy
Old 10-16-2013, 12:33 PM

Default Lumber Fusion

What is the source of the pain that is being addressed? How do you know this?