ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   iSpine (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/)
-   -   6 level cervical fusion? (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/2398-6-level-cervical-fusion.html)

fuzzy 12-30-2012 04:56 AM

6 level cervical fusion?

Has anyone here had a 6 level cervical fusion? ADR revision to multilevel fusion? Or somethiing close to it?

Mark, can you call me and leave me your phone number and when to call?

jsewell 12-31-2012 02:02 AM

Fuzzy I am fused from C4 through L5 . Yep every one of them.
How can i help you?
Judy

fuzzy 12-31-2012 10:18 PM

Hello Judy,

Thanks for responding. i just read your blog in surgical outcomes and i also remember from time back.

The 2 level pro disc adr in my neck is not working. My body is full with neurological symptoms of cervical myleopathy and worsened over time. Latest Neurogist stated that the extreme curvature (lordosis) of my c spine is strangulating my chord on flexion or pretty much any activity and the only answer is revision to full neck fusion. In the meantime to move close to a neuro spine hospital from my current remote location as even the helocopter is not fast enough in case of a spinal chord injury emergency. Very encouraging.

Great, I am 3 hours away from a good hospital and am not simply moving out either. It seems if such a surgery happens I WILL have to arrange to live a lot closer to where the docs are for a while. Your blug illustrates that and for that I am thankful to you for sharing your experience.

jsewell 01-01-2013 09:08 PM

Fuzzy when you talk about 6 level cervical which levels actually? Which level is the starting point. I guess it sounds like you don't have a choice but to do the surgery, you must be in a lot of pain. Have you already lost a lot of motion in your neck. I have lost some (well everywhere) but if starting up higher like at C2 there is a lot more motion , i'm sure you already know this.
I am adjusted to the loss except when backing up my car (I try to avoid that) and changing lanes.
Judy

fuzzy 01-02-2013 04:47 AM

Discussion is C2- C7.

Bending my neck is a big problem. I hav actually never seen a curve like mine with hardware installed. Not sure how they will do that. The ADRs went in fine but it seems they only bought me a short amount of time.
I have been moving about in my old foam collar and it reduces the problems, a Miami J hard collar is on its way. That seems to be the only way to reduces the amount of irritation until some kind of surgery. The idea of 6 levels doesn't sound good. The neuro Dr. said its not a good thing and I have yet to find one discussed on the net. 4 levels, yes, but not 6 :confused:

jsewell 01-03-2013 02:54 AM

I think i have worn a collar of one type or another for 2 years. I just stopped wearing one last summer when it got to hot and I never got back into wearing it again. I do wonder if i could get any relief from continuing to wear it.My doc wants me to wear a neck brace for the rest of my life. My neck broke a few years ago which put upon him the task of putting it back in place.It is kind of permanentally crooked and i am stuck that way. Trying to lay down on my side to sleep causes quite a problem too.
I hope you hear from someone ,maybe someone will post if you ask for anyone who has had surgery on the upper levels.
judy

fuzzy 01-03-2013 07:07 AM

I wore the hard collar for the first time part of the day and it made a noticeable difference in that the body sensations and numbness were reduced. It did light up the pain down my arm to the point where I took it off. Shortly after that the problems went up so i better get used to this thing. No driving it seems as that is a problem and impossible with this collar. I have to find myself a travel companion quick for some important travels and my wife is not fit either.

jsewell 01-03-2013 09:56 PM

I had months at a time where i could not drive in the hard collar. My doc after about 6 months told me i could wear a soft collar to drive only then put the hard one back on. but for life he wants me in the soft collar. When things start getting really bad, i guess i will use it again. But right now i have a lumbar brace, a lumbar bone growth stimulator. and with the neck brace I will really look like a train wreck. Everyone assumes it was a car accident. I think if i wear the collar again, i will be making up exciting stories. The elevator didn't go slowly, train crash, etc. Good LUck getting used to the hard one.

HOw much time do you have to make this surgery decision?
Judy

fuzzy 01-13-2013 05:20 AM

i have been driven around in my hard collar a few times by my wife. The end of the day is terrible, it almost seems that the hard collar restraints through bumps etc makes my problems at the end of the day worse.:confused:

fuzzy 01-13-2013 05:22 AM

The time on decision making is up to me unless I can't get up or somehow become emergency condition.

Maria 01-13-2013 05:05 PM

don't wait

That long!!! If you are in that bad of condition now it seems like your bod is telling you to act now or as soon as you can get yourself somewhere that you feel is the place to be re treatment (whatever that encompasses).

I've waited forever on my low back tho that's because most of the time it feels better than not. Now my neck just kicked in today after feeling good for quite sometime. Man the neck pain is awful like carrying around a lead ball on my neck! Got a pretty good migraine going on too..

This is making me want to schedule an appt. at least for an updated cervical xray if nothing else!

Good luck w/whatever you decide when and how.

Rayj123 03-31-2014 06:59 PM

6 level cervical fusion

Fuzzy,
I'm hoping to hear back from you to see how you are doing after your procedure. I'm worried this will be I my near future as well.

Ray

mmglobal 04-01-2014 04:11 PM

Ray, I just sent fuzzy an email asking for an update. If you haven't seen anything in a few days, rattle my cage and I'll call him.

Take care,

Mark

Rayj123 04-01-2014 04:34 PM

Thank you Mark, much appreciated! :)