Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss M.E.L.T. Method in the Main forums forums; Hi everyone! I came upon something called the M.E.L.T. Method The NEW Art of Self-Care | MELT ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 09:32 PM

Default M.E.L.T. Method

Hi everyone! I came upon something called the M.E.L.T. Method
The NEW Art of Self-Care | MELT Method
It's a do it yourself myofascial release program and I just received the book today from Amazon. I don't know very much about it yet other than myofascial tissue is the connective tissue in our bodies and it can be a cause of pain.
There are message therapists who specialize in myofascial release, so it's been around for a while.

I started to read the book and I'll will say that the author Sue Hitzmann is very experienced in what she does. There are many good reviews on the net about her technique so i have to give a shot- not much to lose.

Anyway, i thought that posting this may interest others to give a try or if someone has tried it and would like to offer their experience with I'd be interested to hear.

I'll post back as to how it's helped ease my lumbar and/or neck pain.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:29 PM

It's been a few weeks since I started this thread. A few days after posting this I decided to find a professional message therapist who uses myofacial release.
I've had four sessions, one per week and while it's too early to tell for sure, I am currently experiencing less leg pain. I have been diagnosed with a herniation at L4L5 pressing on a nerve root causing my leg pain.

I've refused surgery so far (about 6 years) because I am not sold on the idea that surgery is the best solution and also that soft tissue is the probable cause of my pain. After all, isn't it true that studies show that many people who do not report back pain have herniated disks on their mri?

While I'm not sure of what my final results will be I would encourage people to investigate and consider myofascial release as a helpful treatment, even if only in addition to another treatment that they're receiving.

Note, I've also had good results with Prolotherapy.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Administrator

John, thanks for posting. I have fond memories of the myofascial release that a therapist did for me back int the 90's. For me, the structural/mechanical problems were too great and all the conservative treatments were of little benefit. However, through the years, I have seen many people with structural/mechanical problems get relief.

I have great respect for the process you are going through, avoiding surgery if possible and making such a sincere effort at reasonable treatment options. I'm glad that you are realizing some benefit... keep it up and please keep us posted.

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 04-15-2013, 05:40 AM

The MELT is also called manual therapist Sue Hitzmann.The MELT method is a technique of self treatment that useful to prevent pain, injury and remove the negative effects and active living.