ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   iSpine (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/)
-   -   Anyone Had Anterior Interbody Fusion? (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/2456-anyone-had-anterior-interbody-fusion.html)

jsewell 06-01-2013 03:04 AM

Anyone Had Anterior Interbody Fusion?

Hi,
I think I am about to have a new surgery for me. An anterior approach to try to get my lumbar spine to fuse . We will leave L5-S1 alone , i think. I have chronic fractures at L2 and L4 so my doc proposed L2 thru L4 where he will put in cages. I am ready for the lumbar pain to disappear . Last Augusts surgery left me with a difficult stance and lessened my ability to walk normally. My doc was honest and said as far as helping with walking i may get no improvement, 25%, 50% or 90% . I still have lumbar scoliosis and he said that may be the cause of my on going hip pain. I am just a mess.
Any info on this procedure would be very appreciated.
Judy:confused:

mmglobal 06-03-2013 01:30 AM

Judy, the ALIF is almost the same surgery as an ADR. The recovery is a bit more difficult because you'll have more restrictions, more bracing, etc... because you have to protect the fusion.

It can be slightly less invasive because they don't need to get a straight shot at the disc space like they do with most of the ADR's, so the exposure is a little easier.

Is there any discussion of XLIF instead of ALIF? Perhaps the difficulties of your case motivate the doctors to go for the anterior approach because they may be able to get a more solid construct than they can with XLIF... but I'd ask about it. (I'm not suggesting that this is a better option... just something to discuss.)

Remember... I'm not a doctor.. yada, yada, yada... take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Mark

jsewell 06-03-2013 05:36 AM

Hi Mark,
Thank you for replying. Is the recovery easier or harder than the posterior approach.? I know my doc said he would not do another posterior approach on me as i have been cut open too many times. Of course unless i do something like break my neck again. I am hoping i will get a little straighter with this surgery.
judy

mmglobal 06-05-2013 01:01 PM

Judy, I've seen so many types of recoveries... experiences are all over the place. Some people have an easy time with very invasive surgeries, while others have terrible times with less invasive surgeries.

You've got more experience with spine surgery than just about anyone I know and I think you are overdue for an easy time!!!

When do you get cut?

Mark

PS.... are you up for a dog beach run?

jsewell 06-06-2013 05:19 AM

I am very up for a dog beach trip.
I agree that i must be up for an easy recovery. I only remember one from the kyphoplasty!! Possibly one other one with only my spine surgeon around to prescribe meds. I don't have a date yet , but i will let you know when i get to that point.
Let me know about the beach.
judy

jsewell 06-17-2013 03:03 AM

I saw my hip surgeon to make sure my hip pain is coming from my spine and not my hips themselves. Well my pelvis has changed position do to all the spine surgeries, so my hips are in a different position, possibly causing some of my difficulty with walking. All in all he said the hip pain is all spine related. My body was cooperative and was hurting when i saw him!!
My surgery is still in the approval stage. so no date yet.

I am so ready for the beach though.
judy

mmglobal 06-18-2013 07:50 PM

Judy... can you coordinate a date for the dog beach with Maria?

jsewell 06-18-2013 11:13 PM

will do
judy