ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   iSpine (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/)
-   -   Leg pain and less sensation after L4-L5 and L5-S1 microdiscectomy. Please help (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/2499-leg-pain-less-sensation-after-l4-l5-l5-s1-microdiscectomy-please-help.html)

ethanh 09-06-2013 03:41 PM

Leg pain and less sensation after L4-L5 and L5-S1 microdiscectomy. Please help

Hi,

I am in need of some serious help.

I was suffering from L4-L5 and L5-S1 intervertebral disc prolapse with lateral recess stenosis

So finally on 12th Aug 13, I went through the following surgeries under general anesthesia:

L4 transverse hemi-laminectomy
Left L5 hemi-laminectomy
L4-L5 and L5-S1 microdiscectomy
Foraminotomies with decompression of thecal sac and existing nerve roots

I was ok and the pain from back is slowly decreasing and I am recovering well.

But for last 4-5 days I am facing an acute pain while walking.

The pain is radiating from left foot till the knee. And it is paining in the back side of knee.

This is not happening if I walk for 2-3 minute. It starts after that. My current weight is 224 lbs.

Is there anything to worry about?

I also have less sensation in last 3 fingers of left foot, left buttock and Genitals. However this is from the day of surgery. Is it because I was diagnosed with Cauda equina syndrome?

Please help me. My Neuro surgeon says it will become ok and suggested me Pelvic floor exercise but he does not knows about the pain in my foot that is radiating till back side of knee.

Thanks for reading the post.

Best Regards

mmglobal 09-06-2013 05:35 PM

It is often difficult to get the surgeons interested in such experiences... they feel that if you rest and give it some time, it will improve. It is a little disconcerting that you were recovering well, but the walking pain STARTED 3 weeks after surgery. Is this a new pain or the return of an old familiar pain?

With the multi-level hemi-laminectomy, I fear the possibility of new instability because of the structure that was removed. There is also the possibility of recurrent disc herniation???

It sounds like your doctor already knows and is suggesting waiting. I would make sure he knows that the symptoms are new. I won't be surprised if he puts you off again.

Did you have cauda equina syndrome (CES) before the surgery?

Mark

ethanh 09-06-2013 05:42 PM

Yes its a new pain

Yes this leg pain is new and if I walk or do a gentle massage it goes. I dont experience it sometimes and sometimes I do.

Like today I did not faced it but yesterday I did.

Yes I was diagnosed with CES befor surgery with DDD.

Please advice

mmglobal 09-16-2013 04:12 AM

Ethan, presumably the cauda equina was completely decompressed with the laminectomy. Hopefully, the CES will diminish as you get further out from the surgery. I would guess that your surgeon told you that it could be permanent.

Any progress or update? Are the sensation issues in the L foot, buttocks, genitals new since August surgery?

Mark