Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Can you still get a MRI with an artifical disc in the Main forums forums; I am curious, after you have an ADR put in, can you still get an MRI? Can you still go ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 08:30 PM

Default Can you still get a MRI with an artifical disc

I am curious, after you have an ADR put in, can you still get an MRI? Can you still go to the chiropractor?

Karger
Old 02-12-2014, 11:09 PM

Default re MRI and chiro

You can still get an MRI I'm pretty sure.
That's a good question about the chiro. Are you thinking for the same area that's getting the ADR or for another part of your spine?

I'd probably wait until a good recovery period has passed with the area that has surgery and then I guess you would have to see from there how the surgery affects things.

I haven't ever gone to a chiropractor however I have gone to Osteopathic doctors that do manipulation. I've not had any hardware installed but I won't let anyone do any high velocity work on me or crunching.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:05 PM

Thanks Maria for your response. I've seen a chrio for years and it really helps me. I would need an ADR on the l5. I would def wait a few months until completely healed before would consider going back to the chrio. just curious if anyone with an ADR continued to see a chrio after the implant was done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria View Post
You can still get an MRI I'm pretty sure.
That's a good question about the chiro. Are you thinking for the same area that's getting the ADR or for another part of your spine?

I'd probably wait until a good recovery period has passed with the area that has surgery and then I guess you would have to see from there how the surgery affects things.

I haven't ever gone to a chiropractor however I have gone to Osteopathic doctors that do manipulation. I've not had any hardware installed but I won't let anyone do any high velocity work on me or crunching.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:22 AM

Hi Karger, I've had three lumbar MRIs since getting an implant over 10 years ago. You can't see much in the immediate vicinity of the artificial disc due to artifact but the other levels show up just fine. I would not let a chiro give me crack the back therapy. Ask your chiro if he would adjust you. I'd like to know what a chiro thinks about it.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 03-09-2014, 03:25 AM

I forgot to mention that a CT does a pretty good job of imaging around the artificial disc.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 03-09-2014, 11:23 AM
Administrator

There are multiple issues with metal and MRI's. If you have some kinds of spinal cord stimulators, you can't have MRI because of the potential for the magnet to move the leads, potentially damaging the spinal cord.

Another issue, as mentioned above is the artifact or distortion. MRI is magnetic resonance imaging. Metal distorts the image generated by MRI. Unless there are other issues (like spinal cord stimulator leads) you may have MRI with ADR's. However, the image near the adr will be completely blown out. CT scans will also be blown out around the ADR. When Jim was saying that CT is better, he was probably thinking about the post myelogram xrays. Myelogram usually includes a post-myelogram CT.

I have seen MRI's in a patient without any metal implants, following a simple endoscopic discectomy. They may have substantial artifact from microscopic metal particles left behind by the tools used in the surgery.

The images below are from the same patient. Following a failed Maverick ADR surgery, he was continuing to have tests.

Note that if you are in this situation, you've got serious trouble (as is the case if you have a failed fusion.)

Pre-ADR MRI

Post-ADR MRI (blown out by artifact)

Post-ADR, post-myelogram CT (blown out by artifact)

Post-ADR, myelogram Xrays (note that the cauda equina (spinal cord) is nicely outlined by the contrast that was injected for the myelogram.

2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 03-09-2014, 11:36 AM
Administrator

I have both lumbar and cervical ADR's. I had an uncle who was a chiropractor. I grew up liking having my back 'cracked'.

With ADR surgery, the anterior longitudinal ligament (ALL) and anterior annulus is sacrificed to gain access to the disc. In many cases, the posterior ligament (PLL) and posterior annulus is also sacrificed. All of the spine surgeons I like endeavor to retain as much annulus as possibe, but I know many who remove the entire annulus. While the remaining structures are enough to keep the system stable, I would not risk having any violent chiropractic manipulations on ME. Now, many chiros use an 'actuator' to accomplish the adjustment without the old violet 'cracking'. I would think that is OK.

If you have an ADR surgery, follow the protocol recommended by your surgeon.

Mark
Old 03-24-2014, 07:30 PM

Thanks for the information everyone. Good to know I've been seeing a chrio since I was little and always felt great after seeing them. My new chrio, doesn't do any "violent", moves, I'd probably just have them still do my upper spine and neck, and nothing with my lumbar.

What about inversion able, I take it that would still be safe! I love my inversion table btw

Andrew
Old 03-24-2014, 11:48 PM
Administrator

my guess is that inversion table is OK, but that is a question for your doctor.

Mark
Old 03-31-2014, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. Just dotting my 'i''s and crossing my 't''s

This forum definitely helps put me at ease!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:40 PM

Hi Karger,

I have read a lot of your posts and I had the same questions you had about the prosthetic disc for which I did not find answers anywhere.

The questions I had were -

1. How does the Artificial disc react to decompression(like can you use inversion tables, can you do pull-ups or dips or hanging exercises like leg raises on a regular basis). I know you have a post on it(Active-L disc - how is held in.) and Mark(mmglobal) answered it. I'd like to know what you found out/what the doctor's advise is / are you able to do any of the above?

2. I am also a regular chiropractic care guy. And don't know how this is going to be post-op(if I get it done). How have you handled this situation post adr surgery?

3. Also, I wasn't able to find a latest update on your recovery. How is it going? Are you pain-free?

4. I like to run, do weights on a regular basis(which I am not able to do because of my back). Have you been able to do any of these?

I have been doing a lot of reading these days on this topic(adr) and I must say this is a really helpful group with a lot of information and I cannot stress how thankful I(I'm sure there are a lot more out there) am to you all(for all this info) and Mark(mmglobal) for creating this platform.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:00 PM

Hi,

I am doing well, I have my pain free days, and I have my minor pain days. It's not really pain.. It's hard to describe, more of a discomfort. Pre surgery it was very painful, this is nothing in comparison.

I use my inversion table no issues there, I still see my Chrio, she treats me like I am an 80 year old but I feel better after seeing her. I also see physio therapist which helps aswell. I'll probably be pain free one day, I know it will just take some time and I have to baby my back.

I use my tread mill, do push ups, chinups etc. I don't do anything that will put any compression on my lower back at all. So no free weighs etc.

All and all I am doing well. Much better then last year at this time where i could barley walk
Activ-l

Recovering and doing great!
Old 03-03-2015, 04:01 PM

Karger,

Thank you for responding back and answering all the questions I had!

Its good to hear that you are happy with the results!! And I wish you a speedy road to pain-free days!

I am still in the process of making up my mind for an ADR and if I'm doing it, I've made up my mind that it will be Dr. Zeegers. I wish there were more people out there sharing their experience with Activ-L and how their recovery has been!

Do you have anything in this process that you would have done differently or regret doing?
Old 03-14-2015, 08:50 AM

I am a little bit late to this post but will share my experience with lumber ADR and Dr. Zeegers soon. I had my surgery in 2007. I am still walking on that ADR Fusion hybrid. I do have problems but likely not related directly to the Active-L.

Dr. Zeegers is an excellent doc.

A fusion is a fusion and this fusion was the best thing that happened to my spine. ADRs, I have mixed feelings.