Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Medications Genetic Testing in the Main forums forums; I though I would pass this information along. When I started treating with my psychiatrist for mental health issues, one ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2015, 01:46 AM

Exclamation Medications Genetic Testing

I though I would pass this information along.

When I started treating with my psychiatrist for mental health issues, one of the things that we did when starting medication (after much consulting between psychiatrist and PM&R b/c of my narcotic contract) was to do genetic testing to eliminate the "let's try this med and see how it goes" and some of the absolutely G.D. Awful side effects that can come with opioid analgesic meds and psychotropic meds together.

I had a buccal swab (Cheek) and they sent it out to Genesight for testing. The report came back 36 hrs. later with a clear list of medications that were "green light", use with caution, and "red light" meds that would be avoided based on my genetic makeup. I would post my reports here but I really don't want all of that PHI out on the web. The report helped Immensely in getting me on a medication treatment plan with only ONE change in the past year If only this had been around when I was first diagnosed with my back issues in 2001...

Anyway, check out their website if you're interested. My PM&R doc started using this tool in his practice after he got all the info from my psychiatrist. I hope that more PM docs out there become aware of the benefits of pharmacogenomics in formulating treatment plans; we as patients would avoid the medication merry-go-round.

website: GeneSight - Genetic Testing for Personalized Medicine Treatment
Old 02-21-2015, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Great info... I've not seen this discussed before.

BTW, it's been a few years since we've spoken... I'm still trying to run down my thoracic pain syndrome and would love to talk to you. Can you call me next week?

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 02-23-2015, 04:52 PM

Default great link

Thanks so much for this!!!