Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Minimally Invasive Oxygen-Ozone Therapy for Lumbar Disk Herniation in the Main forums forums; Yes Maria it's the pain. I think that the average person would not have put up with the pain ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2016, 11:16 PM

Yes Maria it's the pain. I think that the average person would not have put up with the pain that I've endured over a 25 year period.
Right or wrong I've always refused surgery... so far.
But a life in pain is hell!

Anyway I'm less worried now. Found this study over the weekend. It had taken 7 months for the pain to go away in this case .
Case 1
A 46 year old, non-smoker, male plumber and gas fitter with body mass index (BMI) of 27.3, presented in January 2011 with discogenic type low back pain, left lower limb sciatica to the calf, lateral foot, toes and hyperalgesia to the sole of the foot, which were managed with manual therapy and oral analgesics. In June 2011 symptoms returned after he had been playing with his son and was admitted to the emergency department due to severe low back spasm. An MRI showed a large uncontained L4/5 disc herniation compressing the spinal canal and the left L5 root compatible with his symptoms (Figure 1a,b). He refused surgery and was referred for percutaneous intradiscal O2O3 treatment in June 2011 with an Oswestry Disability Index (ODI) of 24% suggesting mild to moderate disability. He had been on oral Tramadol 200mg BD and Naproxyn 500mg PRN. There was weakness to resisted left big toe dorsiflexion due to L5 nerve compression. Following written informed consent explaining the risks and outcomes, under CT guidance using a sterile technique, and local anaesthetic in a prone position, 20cc medical grade Oxygen Ozone (27µg/ml) was injected into the nucleus pulposus of the disc through a 22g spinal needle (Figure 1c,d). The needle was withdrawn out of the disc and Celestone Chronodose (5.7mg) was injected into the anterior epidural space. Two months post intradiscal O2O3, ODI was 8% (77% reduction from pretreatment) and at seven months his pain had completely resolved. He returned to normal activities with cessation of all analgesics. Mild paraesthesia of the left L5 distribution persisted with resumption of usual work and activities at this time. MRI at seven months showed dramatic resolution of disc herniation and decompression of the spinal canal (Figure 1e,f).

Case report: Intradiscal oxygen ozone therapy in uncontained lumbar disc herniation - F1000Research

Then I had my Dr appointment today. He said that's it unusual to still have pain after a month but said that he's had patients that have had pain increase before getting better.
Also said that people who do take longer to respond do better with the ozone treatment than the others. I believe that my body is reacting to the ozone, Because I've had too large of increase in pain since the ozone injection. Very doubtful that it's a coincidence.

I was prescribed PoDiaPN a few months back by my Sports Med doc. It is supposedly helpful for neuropathy. I never used it but I'll try it for the short term.
PoDiaPN™

Best Wishes
Old 08-30-2016, 01:22 AM

Another week has passed and a good amount of pain has left, hopefully forever. I stopped taking PoDiaPn last week, no sense in taking it if the pain is easing.
It's really disturbing to me that Ozone is not being used before a micro discectomy is done here in the U.S. It's all about the $ and Ozone is not expensive. Corruption, from the top down in healthcare!

Check back in week.
Best Wishes!
Old 08-31-2016, 08:37 PM

Default what you said

Hey John,
So glad to read that you're feeling relief! Yes I agree that the things that could be done prior to recommending surgery are the things that should be recommended and tried before surgery if not an emergent situation not to mention be covered by insurance however oft times I think when the patient mentions something such as the Oxygen-Ozone Therapy because it's really pretty low on the cost level it's not attractive to enough for surgeons to offer and probably not utilized enough therefore documented enough for other practitioners to use widely and have insurance cover... so the shots, the knife, the drugs .. (the big guns) are the way to go re money making!

The conservative path one usually has to take here in the USA at least if insurance is involved at all doesn't really allow for much in the way of patient suggesting what they might want to try rather it's a pretty straight shot prior to surgery whether one wants to follow all that or not while they suffer and pursue pain relief (as insurers would have it re authorization for treatments based on evidence based information and peer reports etc and loads of red tape that takes so long).

As you stated it should be criminal to offer less of what might work more at least at certain stages with certain populations of the spine suffers out there. Especially as there are so many of us. Sadly we, the spine sufferers can be big money for those that treat our problems or horribly long suffering while we wait for various treatment plans to be authorized and/or not receive care at all because we have no insurance or no money or high deductibles and not enough $ or maybe almost the worse being WC coverage.

I'm glad you're doing better and I do hope you continue on this way. Please keep us posted!

Maria

Last edited by Maria; 08-31-2016 at 08:43 PM.