ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   iSpine (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/)
-   -   Surgery scheduled (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/316-surgery-scheduled.html)

Maria 02-13-2007 02:12 PM

Surgery scheduled

With Dr.Delamarter for May 10th. Whether or not I actually do this surgery or do it on this date depends on how my back continues to hold out. Right now it's very fiesty/painful due to overuse, lack of sleep, and decrease in pain medication which I'll probably bump back up to so I can stop feeling like the Wicked Witch of the West. O man... am I cranky w/pain after doing so good for so long ...

dshobbies 02-13-2007 06:12 PM

Maria,

I'm sorry to hear of your setback after having hope that maybe, just maybe, things were looking better. I imagine during the next few months you'll do a lot of soul searching which is very normal... not that you already haven't. Just know that we're here for you as you fascilate in all directions. But also remember that I got married in May 35 years ago so it must be a lucky month!

All my best, Dale

sharman 02-13-2007 11:21 PM

Sorry to hear it

Maria, I'm sure we can all relate. When you're lucky enough to see some improvement, it's so hard to go downhill again.

It's a miserably tough decision, to pull the trigger on major surgery. I wish you the best in making it. There's never a right answer, but I really do believe, your odds are good. We'll all be pulling for you, whichever way you end up going.

sahuaro 02-14-2007 01:32 AM

Maria:
It is certainly an important milestone that you have a date for surgery--although you've been there before--so, congratulations! With the taste of freedom and the good life that you've just had, it is indeed a difficult decision.
And it's hard to imagine you as the Wicked Witch of the West...
Hang in there!;)

Maria 02-14-2007 02:22 PM

This will be a tough decision...

edited as necessary

Poncho 02-15-2007 04:08 AM

Hey Maria,

As you well know by now, making that decision is in and of itself half of the battle when it comes to choosing a "plan of care".

I agree with the above post: soul searching will be there and it is perfectly normal to do this.

Keep yourself surrounded with positive family & friends. It helps to keep the mind in a good place keeping a positive attitude.

I wish you nothing but the best Maria!!!

Take Care,
Sue

letteski 02-17-2007 03:25 AM

way to go girl

Maria,

I am so proud of you for taking this step you have come along way baby. There is a feeling you get when you know it is right. You will be at peace with the decision to move on. Your dreams of going back to work and living a pain free and drug free life are possible you have to trust and believe.

What a gift to have some pain free time. Enjoy and take long walks on the beach as much as you can.

God Bless

Sunshine 02-17-2007 08:17 PM

Maria...

Congratulations on scheduling your surgery. It is truly a big step. I wish you the best of luck. It has not been that long since my surgery, and I definitely am not pain free and out of the woods yet (far from it) ...but I have to say that so far, my hybrid surgery was the best decision that I could have ever made. (I believe you said that this is going to be a hybrid, right?) I hope it works out for you as well.
Sending you all my best.

~Andrea

Jim M2 02-18-2007 04:46 AM

Maria, Do you hava any thoughts on this easing of your pain? Are your discs the primary pain generators and they're giving up the ghost now? Are you fusing naturally? The doctors have always told us the pain would ease after many years passed. I suspect I would have been better off without surgery. Of course I'll never know for sure.

I hope this good trend keeps up!

ans 02-18-2007 09:28 PM

I asked why not let autofusion naturally occur but I was told by one surgeon (Lauryssen or Regan) that it's not so hot. Naturally I forget why.

Good luck Maria in this uber-adult decision.

ans

mmglobal 02-18-2007 10:16 PM

In many situations, 'mostly fused' does not address the pain generators. That is why most surgeons are doing 360 fusions now. You can get good fusion of the posterior column with a posteriolateral fusion, but the anterior column still moves some. The autofusion process takes a very long time and may still allow some movement... and pain.

Mark