Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Anyone disgnosed with "Cervical Dystonia" in the Main forums forums; I visited a neurosurgeon today and after a careful examination and review of the history of my symptoms and MRI, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 05:54 PM

Smile Anyone disgnosed with "Cervical Dystonia"

I visited a neurosurgeon today and after a careful examination and review of the history of my symptoms and MRI, he diagnosed me with "Cervical Dystonia". He said that there is no cure, but BOTOX injections is the answer for relief (must have it every 3 months).

Anyone reading this had "Cervical Dystonia"? And if you did and had the BOTOX injections, did that help relief your pain, spasms and stiffness of the neck?

Your comments and reply would be greatly helpful and appreciated.
*Lumbar Surgery @L4-L5, L5-S1 (Successful) on June 2006.
*Laser Cervical Surgery @C5-C6 / Laminatomy & Foraminotomy (Not Successful) on December 2006.
*Diagnosed with Cervical Dystonia (CD) on 4/10/07.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:57 AM
Administrator

Bob, I have a very dear friend with dystonia. Not cervical dystonia, but a general condition that is much like a seizure disorder with episodes of muscle spasms that wrack her body in very painful ways. It's pretty horrific. Upon studying it... the cause of her symptoms were not uncommon for dystonia sufferers. Anti-nausea medication given to her in the hospital. Apparently, there is a very small percentage of the population that has the propensity to develop dystonia as a reaction to medications and several of the popular anti-nausea meds are high on the list.

I hope that in a case with the presence of profound cervical pathology, that the cause of the constant spasms will be discovered to be something that can be corrected. I don't know anything about cervical dystonia. Based on what I know about my friends condition, it's hard to imagine the disorder affecting one muscle 24/7.

Is there something that leads to this diagnosis, or is it more a description of the symptom than a diagnosis?

I do know neurologists that use botox injections for a variety of other maladies where muscle in spasm causes problems for nerves or vessels that get 'strangled' by the spasm.

all the best... keep us posted.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org