ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   iSpine (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/)
-   -   Info about dynesys needed (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/478-info-about-dynesys-needed.html)

ichabod 07-15-2007 03:32 PM

Info about dynesys needed

Happy to find this forum. Looks like the Dynesys or Fusion will have to my option in next few months , L-3 thru L-5. Hoping to hear about successes
with the Dynesys especially after the first year of surgery.
I guess I have the same question everyone has , should I or Should I
not...I have read everything in this forum pertaining to the Dyneses and I don't have a good feeling about it. I would love to hear from anyone , pro's
and con's about it.

Thanks , Isaac

LC in UK 07-15-2007 07:25 PM

Having had Dynesys I was very impressed with my improved mobility and posture and I suppose it took about two months post-op for this to become apparent.
I'm having problems right now and I've been told it's not the Dynesys, the surgeon thinks yet "another level above" is the culprit! like dominoes.
I've read about the pedicle screws coming loose and as I had the Dynesys done three years ago it does concern me that this might yet turn out to be the case with me.
If so, I understand it's not too onerous a task to replace them with the new hydroxyapatite coated screws for better bonding.
If I need another Dynesys and the surgeon thinks I'm a suitable candidate I shall go ahead.
I'd already had three back operations and my surgeon had to rebuild L4 - S1 in 1995 with large staples and fibreglass stuff between the discs (anterior fusion) as I'd had the backs of these vertebrae removed in 1988 leaving it pretty unstable.
So you can see how grateful I was for the Dynesys as by then I thought I'd had it!
Hope other people will respond to this thread for you, it's very helpful to get as much input as possible.
Lynette

fireyangel76 07-16-2007 01:55 AM

I had a dynesys in feb 22nd of this year.I am a little over 4 months post op. I had it at the l5-s1 level. I didn't find the surgery too painful but I have accquired a high tolerance for pain because I have problems taking pain meds. It has been up and down so far. I do have mobility in that area of the spine but I do feel the bands pulling when I try to bend too far. I am exercising everyday on the treadmill and recumbent bike..approx 30 min a day. I started wearing my brace while I am exercising and it has helped some. In the afternoons and evenings I get more pain which seems to be related to my being upright for most of the day. I am stiff after lying down or sitting. I can't lay on my back with my knees up on pillows because I seem to have restless legs since the dynesys. I am not yet able to return to work because standing, sitting,bending and walking to far still cause a great deal of pain. I am better than I was before surgery but still have some of the same tingling burning pain..although improved. I think it is too early for me to state one way or the other if it has been successful or not.
I think I may have some SI joint problems, but am already am being told by my surgeon that we may have to do a fusion.
Sorry thats all I can offer to you so far on dynesys. I also had a difficult time finding anyone who had it done to speak with. LC in UK is the only other person that I have had contact with that had it done.
Good luck and hope what ever you decide will be successful!

mmglobal 07-16-2007 03:48 AM

I’ve been watching the Dynesys saga unfold for many years now. I’m surprised that it hasn’t turned out to be better… it seemed like such a simple solution to a complex problem. I believe that our understanding of patient selection for Dynesys is still only half baked and hopefully will improve. I also believe that Dynesys success is VERY MUCH surgeon dependent. Some simply get way better than average results, while others get way worse than average results. Some have high percentages of screw problems, while others have NONE… both with and without HA coated screws.

There is a next generation system called DSS that I'll post more about in another thread.

Mark

ichabod 07-16-2007 06:05 PM

Many Thanks to each of you

Many Thanks to each of you and I hope to hear more. My Doc. thinks I am a
good candidate , but going to neuro surgern this month for second opinion.

Begining to look like a never ending process,,,,,I wish you all the very best
luck and thanks again for your replies.

Isaac