Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Hey Fuzzy in the Main forums forums; Good for you on scheduling your surgery w/Dr.B. I was thinking about my back (as I do when ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Hey Fuzzy

Good for you on scheduling your surgery w/Dr.B.
I was thinking about my back (as I do when it's problematic) and reviewing my options as to why I've done nothing yet..
Proposed surgery: ADR at L4 and fusion at L5S1 here in US

1. Had a really decent year re less pain, more active.
2. WC won't pay for surgery in Germany and there will be no more benefits (even pain management) should I have surgery there.
3. I have osteopenia in my lumbar spine, osteoporosis in at least one hip and think that I may well be a candidate for vertebroplasty.
(the above is why I'd want to have surgery in Europe).
4. I have an annular tear at L3. Thus far has been non concordant for pain on discograms however, give me a fusion at L5S1 and ADR at L4 and then my whole spine is different so I worry that L3 will act up and give me grief.
(this is about L5S1 fusion and L4 ADR only leaving L3 alone as current surgerical proposal stands).
5. I know my recovery time pretty much from flare ups now as well as activities I have to avoid to increase pain. I get pain relief with lo dose pain med (tho "big guns" med).
6. I'm afraid of screws at any level. They can move. I'm wondering if I've autofused at L5S1 as it feels like I'm experienceing L4 probs the last week since my back went out.

Ok, this isn't to say I won't have surgery, just brief run down of why I've not done it yet. Have I felt worse in the last few years? No. Do I think that structurally I may have worsened such as with facets and such.. Probably so.

The thing that's important here is up until last February when my last pre op visit was, I was good to go for a 2 level surgery per the surgeon I was consulting with that WC approved the L4 ADR and L5S1 fusion with. Now, as time goes on am I screwing myself up because what if L3 annular tear becomes something more drastic and I actually need this level done as well.. tho I've physically functioned so much better over the last year and was much more active with fewer flare ups and lasting much less time (not the one I'm having now tho).

Anyway, you know you're worse, you feel worse so you go get 'em and have a great surgery and recovery!!!

BTW, I had severe severe severe gnawing burning pain in buttocks and bilat in legs for nearly 5 years post op my 2nd spine surgery. Was deemed Arachnoiditis by several surgeons tho has not shown up as such on MRIs for years now..

I take Neurontin for neuropathies and have been told I will be on this the rest of my life most likely due to nerve damage post 2nd surgery.

Ok, so I too wonder about rekindling that kind of pain which is a BIG "OH NO" in my book as that was the most hellish pain I've ever felt/imagined. And it lasted way way too long for my liking. Some of it comes back if I forget my Neurontin which I almost never do since that burning pain is really terrible...

Just so you know, I've had my reasons for not having surgery yet....

Last edited by Maria; 10-18-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:13 AM

I have posponed surgery for years. And the severity of the low back pain got a little better by learing how to live with it. Avoid wrong activity, that includes chiropractors, they were very bad for my back, also got screwed up in PT. When all is well, I am really carefull for weeks, at home, no physical work, light varying activity and constanly listening to the needs of my spine, then the pain is quite low. I have sucessfully avoided the severe attacks last year by avoiding all that might trigger it. Sold motorcycle etc. My beloved housebuilding project is on hold. Pain is within the iboprofen level...

BUT, the burning, tingeling, ice sensations in my feet have consistently, steadily increased in parallel with the decreasing disc height on the 3 lower levels over the years ( MRIs for 7 years). I cant drive, driving 20 minutes my gas pedal foot feels like falling off and eventually can't push the pedal any more. Gave up on clutch cars years ago as it would trigger strong low back pain, not to mention my feet would go numb.

I lie down, these symtoms will go almost go away (low back pain stays around longer). The "almost" part is new. They used to completely go away after lying for an hour, unless I pushed it. Then it quickly got much worse. Walking on the concrete at an airport and then sitting in a plane makes it rEAL bad REALLY quick, I started turning frequent flyer into frequent passenger in a lexus were the seat can be moved totally flat. My wife drives.
I travel to Europe a lot and my last trip there in summer was horror I was alone and that was the last time I made that trip, next trip there will have to be to an ADR surgeon.

I can't just stay home, have a driver and not be able to go anywere. I can't go to see a movie. Cant sit for more then half an hour then my low back is very sore and my feet are screaming and this is the best it gets!

Recently in anticipation of this surgery I got the bone density test as requested by Bertagnoli. This test shows low bone density, borderline osteoporosis in the hips. Bertagnoli says no problem we have "cement". I am 42 years old male, physically fit, slim, have always eaten healthy, lots of calcium, milk, weightlifting until my low back stopped me, a hiker, climber, totally fit. But my bones look like those of a 80 year old woman, after my US Dr asked my what I need a bone denisty test for, "those are for women" and insurance would not pay, for same reason. I really wonder how valid this test is (dexa scan) I find it hard to believe my bones are this bad, very hard to believe.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:07 AM

Default your symptoms

Would all be encouragement for me as well to head off to the Operating Room with the right surgeon as well~ good job for making the decision and moving on with it!