Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Mobi-C Cervical Disc Prosthesis in the Main forums forums; Hello, I'm new to this community and new to the life of chronic back (cervical) pain. I'm a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2008, 10:43 PM

Default Mobi-C Cervical Disc Prosthesis

Hello,

I'm new to this community and new to the life of chronic back (cervical) pain. I'm a 43 year old (44 in 2 weeks) male, in good shape and active in running, swimming, biking, etc. I injured my C-5 throgh C-7 in a triathlon last October and have been in progressively worse pain since.

I've had three cervical epiderals and now, with no relief, am talking to a doctor about fusion surgery (ACDF) or this new procedure, Mobi-C Cervical Disc Prosthesis surgery. I watched the video on LDRspine.com and am freaked out by the prospect of something foreign in my body - forever. But am openminded enough for guidance and consideration.

Has anyone out there had this surgery and have some thoughs they'd like to share? I'm having to make a decision within the next couple of weeks in order to be considered in their trials.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:30 AM

Coolray:
I've been thinking about your post and your question and what at first looks like a straightforward question is actually quite complicated.
As I think about it, the question of having something artificial in your body is quite complicated. First, there are the reality issues: you will have hardware in your body whether you have fusion or artificial disk(s); there are unknowns with the artificial disks, including how long they will last. And, yes, there are psychological issues that at least I am experiencing about having an artificial disk--I woke up from surgery last week rather overwhelmed with the thought of what had just been done (and what I had just allowed to be done). When I saw the X-ray with the disk, there was a real disconnect and feeling that that couldn't be me. During the past week, that overwhelming anxiety has come and gone and I imagine it will get less with time as long as I don't have problems. This is not a topic I've seen discussed much...

But I think that there are other issues you need to be aware of and about which you need to educate yourself. It is not clear how many levels you will have addressed surgically. If you are in a clinical trial, it may be that you will end up with fusion(s) as opposed to the artificial disk(s). Have you thought about the implications of that possibility for you? I don't know very much about the Mobi-C (and hope others more knowledgeable will chime in here), but have you considered the advantages, disadvantages, characteristics, etc. of this particular disk? How many disks has this surgeon implanted and what have been his outcomes?

There are probably other important issues I haven't thought about but as you can see, your post is rather complicated. Making the decision to have surgery is fraught with anxiety and is not easy!
Old 02-02-2008, 06:49 PM

Default Mobi-C

My 2 Mobi-C artificial cervical discs improved my neck and arm problems significantly and the surgery was a day at the beach compared to my 3-level lumbar ADR surgery.

If I didn't know better, I would not know that I have artificial discs in my neck. Everything works fine and feels totally normal as far as movement and functionality goes.

My lumbar spine is another story, however......

God Bless,
Jeff
Two level cervical Mobi-C (C5/6, C6/7) 2/2/07 with Dr. Zeegers (successful)
Laser Facet Coagulation (left side: L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 & sacral) 11/04/10 with Prof. Dr. Reul / Beta Klinik (significant reduction in remnant lumbar & sacral pain)
Old 02-07-2008, 09:30 PM

Thanks for both of your replies. I do have a host of questions for my doctor to answer and yours will be included. Thanks.

Jeffrey, your testimonial is terrific to read. Of course, I was hoping for a response like that and will rest easier tonight knowing of your success. It's been a year since your surgery and you're still happy with the results. That's great news!

I am meeting with my doctor next week and am planning to move forward with this procedure. Wish me luck!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Ray,

I have many clients with Mobi-C procedures done. It's an interesting device. While the materials are similar to the other poly-core ADR's, the design is somewhat different. The highly mobile core allows the joint to discover it's own 'center'; while stationary core, ball and socket devices like the ProDisc-C will provide centering force that will tend to keep things more aligned based on the location of the prosthesis. As with all of the differences from one device to the next, they come with advantages and disadvantages. Also, the advantages and disadvantages may be different for different applications. What may be better at one level, may be a disadvantage in a big multi-level contstruct.

There is much to think about and unfortunately, the answers to many questions may not be known for some time yet.

Please keep us posted... all the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 02-25-2008, 04:51 PM

I'm going in for surgery tomorrow. I actually discovered in my follow up meeting (before surgery) that because I'm part of a study I have to be open to either a fusion procedure or artificial disk replacement.

A computer actually determines which procedure I'll get at the time of surgery; 2/3 chance for the disk, 1/3 for fusion. It's necessary for the control study.

I was pretty pissed at first but realized I need one or other anyway.

Wish me luck.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Ray.... Disc or fusion... I hope to hear great news about your recovery. All the best... talk to you soon,

Mark
Old 06-15-2008, 04:02 AM

It's disappointing when people hit forums looking for answers. But then do not return to share their results. It's the results of others that help (Just like they wanted help) everyone make better informed decisions.

HealthSynergyRx.com
Old 07-17-2008, 10:22 PM

Default Mobi-C Surgery... So far So good!

I apologize for not reporting back to the group on my surgery. I did get the Mobi-C device and recovery have been a success.
My surgery date was February 26, 2008; I was out of the hospital the next day and back to work within a week.
I have full range of motion in my neck.
I have gotten back into working out with a trainer since my left side (effected side) lost quite a bit of muscle and, to date, I'm still not a 100% compared to the right side.
The trials for this device are now closed. I heard that I was either the last or second-to-last participant.
I realize there's not a lot of data on the long-term effects of this device but for now I'm enjoying my life again.
I appreciated the responses from you all during my pre-op decision making period; I've recommended dozens of friends to this site for support.
Thanks again!
Old 07-18-2008, 03:21 AM

Thank you for updating! It is so wonderful that you have had such success.
Your muscles and strength will come back with continued work--that has been my experience.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:10 PM

Default surgery

Coolray,
I thank you as well for getting back with an update and am very glad to hear of your success! Best wishes for continued excellent recovery and spinal health!
Old 08-15-2013, 11:28 AM

Default How long for recovery?

Hi Coolray,

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if you could let me, or anyone else that has had similar treatment, know how you are doing after 5 years of living with the Mobi-C prothesis in your neck?

3 weeks ago I had a cervical discectomy where they replaced the disc at C5/C6 with a Mobi-C prosthesis. I had been suffering from neck and shoulder pain for 6 years and was getting constant tingling down my right arm and into my fingers. I know it is still fairly early days and the pain is gone from my arm but my neck is still really hurting. I am hoping that this time it is just muscle pain which is the result of years of tension and that it will subside over time.

Did you or anyone experience this and if so how long after the operation did it go on for?

Thanks,

Seán
Old 08-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Sean, I don't think the brand of prosthesis is relevant to your question... the surgery and trauma are pretty much the same for all the current crop of ADR's. A lot of people I know with cervical ADR's have continuing low level neck pain indefinitely following the surgery. It is not unlikely that the continuing pain comes from other levels or other areas of the spine that are left untreated. I do have continuing achey neck following my 4-level ProDisc-C ADR, but that continuing pain is at a very low level. (Unfortunately, I still suffer from some pretty horrific thoracic pain, but I believe that is unrelated to my ADR surgeries.)

Good luck with your recovery!

Mark
Old 10-19-2013, 11:06 PM

Hi Sean...after my surgery,3 days ago, I have tingling and pain in the right arm and then the doctor told me I had bone spurs compressing the Nervous and were removed ... the symptoms would disappear with time(in fact, it disapeared 50% yet.)These osteophytes did not appear in the exams.
I can not told about your surgeon, but i choose mine because he is an expert in micro surgery and in Mobi-c ( he often go USA to give classes in spine surgery), and he's very, but very thorough in the work ( my surgery spend 6 hours...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_ie View Post
Hi Coolray,

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if you could let me, or anyone else that has had similar treatment, know how you are doing after 5 years of living with the Mobi-C prothesis in your neck?

3 weeks ago I had a cervical discectomy where they replaced the disc at C5/C6 with a Mobi-C prosthesis. I had been suffering from neck and shoulder pain for 6 years and was getting constant tingling down my right arm and into my fingers. I know it is still fairly early days and the pain is gone from my arm but my neck is still really hurting. I am hoping that this time it is just muscle pain which is the result of years of tension and that it will subside over time.

Did you or anyone experience this and if so how long after the operation did it go on for?

Thanks,

Seán

Last edited by claudio tadeu lippolis; 10-19-2013 at 11:11 PM.