Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss ADR post-op MRI image quality article- comments? in the Main forums forums; I found an article on a study done on post-operative imaging of cervical ADR: Magnetic Resonance Imaging Clarity of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2007, 11:50 PM

Default ADR post-op MRI image quality article- comments?

I found an article on a study done on post-operative imaging of cervical ADR: Magnetic Resonance Imaging Clarity of the Bryan,® Prodisc-C,® Prestige LP,® and PCM® Cervical Arthroplasty Devices

Posted 06/05/2007

Lali Sekhon H. S. MBBS, PhD, FRACS; Neil Duggal, MD, FRCS(C); James J. Lynch, MD, FRSC I; Regis W. Haid, MD; John G. Heller, MD; K Daniel Riew, MD; Kevin Seex, MBBS, FRACS, FRCS; Paul A. Anderson, MD

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/557709

Mark and others, what do the surgeons using the 'artifact-y' discs have to say about this? It worries me a bit as my problems are high up in the c-spine and if the level above can't be visualized post-op and starts to go I could be in big trouble.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:56 AM

Apparently you have to be a member to view the article?

HealthSynergyRx.com
Old 06-07-2008, 11:37 AM

Hopefully this link will work for you Nopain:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/557709

Hucky
C6/7, MRI shows large right paracentral disc protrusion with extension centrally. Mild compression of cervical cord and obscuring the neural foramen and exiting nerve root. No uncinate process hypertrophy no facet joint degeneration. no left neural foramina narrowing.
1200mg of Neurontin.

In the last 3 years have seen 1 gen surg, 2 neurosurg and 1 ortho surg. All rec fusion, only 1 recommends ADR or fusion.

Have been off Neurontin since Nov 2006
Old 06-09-2008, 09:37 PM

I had to register, but it was worth it. Opened my eyes to something I had not considered. If you look closely at the Radio Graphs (Not the MRI), from a Laymans perspective the PCM looks very impressive as if it "fits" the space better than the others. Unfortunately the MRI's are poor with the PCM.

Interesting that they chose the Prestige LP and not Prestige ST. Any idea (I'll look deeper) if or when the LP may get FDA Approval?

Another Good Medscape article with more devices listed.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/489860_5

The Prestige LP now looks like the Frontrunner in my opinon, whereas before the article I was pretty high on the ProDisc-C

When was the PRESTIGE® LP Cervical Disc System developed?
The PRESTIGE® LP Disc was designed in 2004. The device is based on several years of clinical expertise dating back to the Bristol/Cummins disc, which was first implanted in Bristol, UK in 1991.

What is a PRESTIGE® LP Cervical Disc made of?
The PRESTIGE® LP Disc is a titanium ceramic composite device with two articulating components (ball on top & trough on the bottom) that are attached to the vertebral bodies. This unique ball and trough design provides for replication of normal physiological motion. Dual stabilization rails and a plasma spray coating on each component help encourage bony in-growth and long-term stability. The PRESTIGE® LP Disc is available in a variety of sizes to allow the surgeon to closely match the patient's anatomy.

Are the materials safe?
Device biocompatibility is assured through use of materials that have an established record of success in long-term implantation and documented testing in accordance with ISO 10993 guidelines. All metallic components conform to American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM) specifications and have a long history of successful application in total joint reconstructive devices.

How long will a PRESTIGE® LP Cervical Disc last?
Many factors contribute to the longevity of an artificial disc prosthesis. However, the PRESTIGE® LP Cervical Disc has undergone significant testing to verify adequate durability of the prosthesis.

Source: http://www.neurocirugia.com/instrume...y070304-102958

WHEN NOT TO HAVE ADR

There is an excellent Adobe PDF file on this page:

http://www.spinalneurosurgery.com/Ce...ial%20Disc.htm

Just click on the link in read near the bottom of the page. More things I had not considered.

HealthSynergyRx.com

Last edited by nopain; 06-09-2008 at 10:14 PM.