Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss 3 Year Update in the Main forums forums; Yep....3 years post-op this week. My Prodiscs are still holding their own - no problems at all with my ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2006, 11:09 PM

Default 3 Year Update

Yep....3 years post-op this week. My Prodiscs are still holding their own - no problems at all with my lumbar spine and no pain. Still working patrol, going to the gym, boating all summer on Puget Sound, horseback riding, and snow skiing in a couple of weeks (I haven't skiied for over 6 years!) I also started running again a couple months ago. Pretty amazing after all the other health crapola that hit me after my spine surgery. Don't get me wrong - the first few weeks after surgery were not pleasant and sometimes had me wondering if I'd made a big mistake....but it got better, more so than I ever hoped for.

My C-spine is still giving me some problems but I'm holding out as long as possible before heading to Germany to see Dr. Bertagnoli again. I've got a great neurosurgeon here at home who is keeping me mobile with minor surgeries (2 foraminotomies so far - mutiple levels each time).

I guess I'm one of the success stories - at least for now.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:06 AM

Running!!!??? Can't believe it that after spinal surgery you are back to running. That is amazing.

But sorry to hear that your C spine is not doing so good.

Alison
Old 11-21-2006, 05:58 AM

Doreen,

I can't believe it has been 3 years already. I could run too, but I choose not to.

Just happy to be where I'm at in life.

You go Wonder Woman!!!
Old 11-21-2006, 08:35 PM

I'm not running marathons or anything close to it - usually run a couple 10-minute miles on the treadmill at work 4 days a week, trying to get my legs in shape for skiing this winter (not to mention getting a cardio workout in the process). I'm still careful about what I'm doing - but staying in shape for my job is a necessity.....anything can happen at any time. I worry more about my neck than my lumbar spine.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:01 AM

Default Lets go skiing

Hi Doreen,

You are and have been such an inspiration to me. I love the fact that you can run. I have been running a little bit in my ski conditioning classes. We also do a lot of jumping and explosive moves along with a great number of sit-ups and push-ups. It is one tough workout and I feel great after the lactic acid works it's way out of my legs. There truly is life after back surgery and we are here to prove it. So lets celebrate this winter by hitting the slopes any chance you might meet Mark and I in Tahoe? I owe him a lesson or two. I promises to take it easy on the old guy.
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
Powered by ProDisc
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 11-24-2006, 08:32 PM

Paulette:

I'd love to come ski Tahoe...I just picked up my new skis....can't wait to try them out. I wonder if Mark can make time to go also - guess we'd have to coordinate that somehow. Of course it would spoil me from wanting to ski back home - Cascade concrete!

Doreen
Old 11-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Let's pick a long weekend in January... maybe Wednesday through Sunday... Thursday through Monday? There is a cabin to rent near Paulette. It'll be the first annual spiney / ADR ski reunion!

The only question is if January will give Paulette enough time to train for skiing with 'the old man'.

Gramps
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 11-24-2006, 10:24 PM

January sounds good to me....I have some vacation coming up and I'll let you know the dates. Mark......its okay if you can't keep up with the girls....we'll wait for you at the bottom!
Old 11-27-2006, 12:13 AM

Default It's Snowing

They say that this storm is going to be a good one and help more resorts get on the map. Heavenly opened this weekend just an ice patch. I suggest late January early February so we know there will be lots of snow and maybe some powder. Don't worry Mark we will give you a head start.
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99