Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Flying or Driving to travel for surgery? in the Main forums forums; We live about eight hours from NYC, where I am probably going to be going for five level surgery, a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 03:27 AM

Default Flying or Driving to travel for surgery?

We live about eight hours from NYC, where I am probably going to be going for five level surgery, a mixture of ADR and fusion at both cervical and lumbar levels.

We drove down for the consult with Dr. Bitan, and while it was a bit tiring, I didn't really mind it too much. We bought a car specifically for the seats, that allow me to travel without tears

The surgeries are supposed to be several days apart, between the lumbar and cervical levels, and we will probably be down there for a couple of weeks. As much as we hate being without our own vehicle, it doesn't seem to make sense to take ours there and worry about parking, etc.

But how far is Lennox Hill Hospital from the main airport, traffic time wise? I can't imagine that a taxi will be very comfortable going between the two spots. Also, we are about an hour from our own airport, so when you add all those times together, getting to and from the flights, it almost adds up to half the time it would take to drive, no?

Can someone who knows NYC give us some advice as to the best way to travel? Does the train go to the airport? I know one of the stations is just across the street from the hospital.

It seemed so much easier when we were going to Germany and everything was arranged for us...pick up at the airport, etc.!

Thanks for the feedback.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.