ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   Surgical Outcomes and Blogs (http://www.ispine.org/forum/surgical-outcomes-blogs/)
-   -   Big Problems (http://www.ispine.org/forum/surgical-outcomes-blogs/1559-big-problems.html)

nimblecook 06-08-2009 02:13 PM

Big Problems

I had my spine fused at the 4th and 5th, they used a cage and plates with screws. My problem is severe pain, movement in my back, and it pops ( the plates) Just got x-rays and a CT scan and I have a crack screw on the lower right, How does this happen? and to top it off my NS thinks the bone graft didnt take. What am I supposed to do, I cant afford to be off work for 3 or more months, I just did it last year and still have'nt recovered financially. My first thought is to get a lawyer and a second opinion at the Mayo Clinic. I really hate lawyers and dont want to sue anyone, but how does a screw break, bonegraft not take and who knows what else, even happen. Please help, I just want some other insight.

Maria 06-08-2009 03:04 PM

I'd be quite unhappy too given you didn't expect things like a cracked screw or definately non union but I don't think either is reason for a lawsuit unless the screw was cracked before it was put in and that could be proven which I doubt it could be.. just seems like these are things that can and do happen occasionally w/fusion so now you have to see what can be done to improve the situation.

Seek other opinions as well as what your surgeon presents you with.

dshobbies 06-08-2009 05:58 PM

Hi Nimblecook,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us but sorry you need to be here. I have heard of both problems before and agree with Maria that unless your doctor used a broken screw to begin with, it was probably just something that happened, as was the incomplete fusion.

Unless another doctor finds fault with the original surgery, a lawsuit is probably a waste of time. But, by all means, if you have doubts, seek another opinion. The sooner the better and prior to any revision surgery.

As far as financial concerns and taking more time off from work... it is what it is. Has your doctor advised you to have revision surgery? Has he told you what he intends to do or how long your recoup will take? Also, what did he say about the cracked screw and incomplete fusion?

Another thing - does anyone know of a manufacturers recall on screws or other quality issues?

My best to you, Dale

mmglobal 06-08-2009 07:51 PM

You can just be one of the unlucky ones (in spite of a technically good surgery), or you can have issues with the surgery that will make it more likely for you to break a screw. When was your surgery? Did they place the cages from the back or front? I'm sorry that the surgery did not do the trick for you. You are in a bad spot... I'd recommend that you focus on getting the most appropriate repair done... If you have broken hardware and non-union, you need to be dealing with someone who is good at difficult revisions.

Good luck... all the best,

Mark

Katie 06-13-2009 02:37 AM

Nimblecook, any more progress?

dridobits 06-13-2009 03:18 AM

re fusing

Have they given you a bone growth stimulator? Just wondering if that could help?