ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   Surgical Outcomes and Blogs (http://www.ispine.org/forum/surgical-outcomes-blogs/)
-   -   Surgery tomorrow (http://www.ispine.org/forum/surgical-outcomes-blogs/1637-surgery-tomorrow.html)

Gil Denis 09-10-2009 06:35 PM

Surgery tomorrow

Hi All

I am getting stabbed in the back tomorrow for a large herniation L4-L5.

Cannot walk on my toes or heels, hoping this nerve issue comes back?

Rehab will not be able to sit for eight weeks 10% of re herniation:eek:

Has anyone had this type of symptoms ? with good or bad results?

Thanks Gil

Maria 09-10-2009 09:03 PM

re surgery

Gil,
I wish you all the best re surgery but did not quite understand what surgery will be done. Is this a microdiscectomy and laminectomy or ???

Sounds like you need surgery re your exam and hope that all will come back afterwards.. don't rush the recovery as you have this chance to get better.

I tried to rush things post my 2nd discectomy and it did not turn out well (failed surgery/failed results and long crappy haul afterwards to get relief)...

So this is it buddy~ do it right! Or should I say that to the surgeon:D

nomorepain 09-11-2009 04:30 AM

good luck tomorrow

wow surgery tomorrow, i know what you are feeling. just try and relax- ya easy for me to say, don't worry about the stuff thats out of your hands and concentrate on getting better and know we are thinking good thoughts your way!
Again good luck:eek:

Gil Denis 09-11-2009 02:10 PM

Hi Maria

A micro disc and maybe some bone removed at L5-S1 to relive some nerve pressure.

Thanks for the support

Gil:)

dshobbies 09-11-2009 06:00 PM

Gil,

My first surgery, a disco/lami S1/L5 for a rupture.

I couldn't straighten my leg or walk on my toes. I too couldn't sit for 6 weeks - used zero gravity mostly. All came back except a few numb 'spots' on my thigh that never really bothered me.

Good luck though you're probably already out of surgery:D

Dale

Maria 09-12-2009 04:17 PM

first discectomy L5S1

Was an open discectomy (bilateral) and partial laminectomy. It was not a microdisctomy so my back afterwards was *pretty tore up* to say the least...

I took 3 months off work (RN/NP Clinic Coordinator as well as seeing patients in OB/GYN and FP clinic). Returned to work part time first 3 months as OB/GYN clinic was very high volume and fast paced (up to 100 patients in 3 hour time span moving thru 6 exam rooms). FP clinic was slower but still... so returned to work full time at 6 months. This surgery helped greatly but L4 went nearly 2 years later...

A good recovery is important.. so don't rush it~

Sure am hoping you get good relief;)

Gil Denis 09-16-2009 02:31 PM

Hi all

Thanks for the support:)

I am back home and surgery went very well,I cannot sit , bend , twist, sneeze, cough, etc. for eight weeks :eek:
I can stand and take short walks,

I can feel my left foot again after two years nerve root cleaned up at L5-S1

L4-L5 was a huge herniation with two pieces blocking nerves leg pain now gone.
Still cannot walk on my heals I hope this resolves some time in the furter?

Taking oxycodone for pain and a little plugged up taking mrylax hoping for things to move soon?

Thanks

Maria 09-16-2009 04:38 PM

recovery

Hey Gil,
Glad to hear you're back home and doing OK.. please follow all instructions post op and take it easy re your recovery.

Re the pluggedupedness.. Miralax 17gm in a.m. and Sennakot S 2 in p.m. might help things along pretty well or even Miralax twice daily if you're really plugged up initially.. it causes a great deal of gas this way but can be helpful intially post op for moving things along OR Dulcolax (stool softener) in p.m. w/Miralax regime..

Plenty of fluids, veggies/fruits to help or whatever helps U move:D

Avoid pushing/straining for bowel movement~ doing so you'd feel the area (or perhaps not) that you had surgery on so you should avoid pushing/straining.

Good luck with recovery, give it time and don't worry about anything that's missing just yet. There is probably swelling in the area of the surgery around nerve that will alleviate with time.

Stay well ;)

dshobbies 09-16-2009 04:44 PM

Good job Gil,

Great being on the other side, isn't it? Glad your nerve pain appears to be gone. Hopefully other nerve issues will resolve soon.

You also might try mineral oil, 2 tablespoons morning and night to help grease those sluggish pipes! But then again, your pain should diminish everyday along with pain meds.

Take it easy, not that you have any other choice.

Dale

mmglobal 09-25-2009 12:22 AM

Gil... how are you doing another week out?

Mark

Gil Denis 09-25-2009 04:42 PM

Hey Mark

I am doing better no longer on pain meds and all the plumbing is working.

How ever my hands are still numb left hand worse, little finger and the one next to it???? Could this be a inflamition ?

I am taking 500 mg naproxen twice daily with no results yet.

My daily walks are slowly getting longer.

Still cannot walk on my heels i think this will improve with time.

thanks for your support