Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Cervical ADR 2 level i year and new pain in the Main forums forums; Hi I havent posted for a long while (long story) my neck pain has really been minimal during the summer ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 09:55 PM

Default Cervical ADR 2 level i year and new pain

Hi I havent posted for a long while (long story) my neck pain has really been minimal during the summer months mostly it isnt there, so this was great after a very rocky start. Since August and some very bad weather ,I have been getting pain in my hands at night and a return of some intermittent burning sensations, along with the most horrible toothache like pain in my head and neck higher than before. This pain is only related to weather and I am a living Barometer ! I have just had a check up and the doc said the hand symptoms are to do with my neck and he ordered another MRI. I dont know if it will show the higher level DDD, thats my guess at what it is ,and I dont know if its possible to do 3 levels with ADR in the neck has anyone had this sort of thing happen to them ? thanks Mazzie
Diagnosed mild disc dehydration L4/5L5S1 and facet dengeneration L5S1 Facet Cyst L5S1 ADR Active C C5/6C6/7 Sept 08 reduction in pain gradually by 50-60% Buttock and heel pain remain . Meds Pregablin, Tramadol, Co Codymol, Voltarol
Retunred to work Jan 09
Old 09-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Marion, I have seen similar occurrances. Is the pain in your hands in the same place that it was before the ADR surgery? (Sounds like, since you are saying 'returning symptoms'.)

When is the new MRI scheduled?

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-28-2009, 05:51 PM

Sorry to hear you're having increased symptoms. I suppose the MRI will complete the story.

Mark had 4 cervical ADRs over 6 levels earlier this year so yes, it's a possiblity if that's what is needed and everything points to your being a good candidate.

I also know what you mean by being a living barameter. Los Angeles doesn't have quite the dismal weather of England but when that pressure falls, my body knows it.

Hopefully, all that's needed is a trip to Arizona or maybe Las Vegas if that's more to your liking... Dale
Old 09-28-2009, 07:34 PM

Default thanks

thanks Mark and Dale I didnt have hand pains or burning before my operation !I had scapular pain and shoulder pain mostly ,and that has mainly gone it is nothing as intense and the new pains are higher up under my skull and headaches with hand pains at night . So will keep you posted about the MRI findings (wish I could go to Arizona ...wasted 10 days in Spain recently when they had non stop storms OUch!) Maz
Diagnosed mild disc dehydration L4/5L5S1 and facet dengeneration L5S1 Facet Cyst L5S1 ADR Active C C5/6C6/7 Sept 08 reduction in pain gradually by 50-60% Buttock and heel pain remain . Meds Pregablin, Tramadol, Co Codymol, Voltarol
Retunred to work Jan 09
Old 10-02-2009, 05:38 PM

Default re your pains

I have cervical DDD at 3 levels and a small disc herniation at C5/6 and some other *stuff* that supposedly accounts for my neck pain but I also get some of the earlier symptoms you mentioned. I do get sharp occipital pains like little searing zingers and they completely obliterate my ability to think/function when they occur. Then I usually get a migraine of varying degree.

I've found fioricet to be helpful for the h/a's (migraines) and muscle relaxers to be helpful THO mostly a shot of Toradol 60mg IM re muscle spasms. I'm not sure whether this would be helpful to you as you're probably dealing with a different entity tho I'm just throwing this out there *just in case*
Old 10-19-2009, 06:58 PM

Default update - no neck pain!

Hi I have bought a bracelet which has magnets in it . It didnt work on my left wrist . I dismissed it then I recently put it on my right wrist and it seems to have taken nearly all the pain away! If I lift heavy watering cans at the allotment etc I know it in the night! Otherwise a complete change. for the better! No more barometer and its always raining! I cannot belive it! I have my scan on 26th so we will see the way things are I wouldnt even think of surgery so am trying to keep optimistic M
Retunred to work Jan 09
Old 10-19-2009, 11:03 PM

I'm thrill that you found a benefit to magnet therapy. Most people dismiss it as voodoo while those deriving a benefit think it's G-d's gift.

You should know that not all magnets are created equal. The strength of a magnet is measured in gauss. The stronger the gauss, the greater the benefit to an injury/pain. If the gauss is not available or printed in instructions, such as those you buy at Bed, Bath and Beyond, the benefit is more than likely not worth the price.

Rare earth magnets, small enough to tape to wherever while strong enough to be effective, or even enclosed in jewelry, are available on the internet. Just do a google search.

Too bad though because it's kind of nice to know when rain's coming!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:13 AM

Default forecast~ rain!

Usually my low back feels like an alien is trying to bust thru the back before it's going to rain and when it's just very damp outside I have really bad a.m. backaches that wear off as I'm up and about. The joints in my hands ache as well and my right knee seems to let me know as well that rain is on the way or again, dampness is about even before I open my eyes in the morning.

I'd love to *trick* my body this way as being a human barometer is Ok for a day or two tho any stint longer than this and it loses it's charm if there is any!

Glad to hear the magnet bracelet worked for you ~ I've heard this before and I keep saying "I'm going to try that" and forget about it probably because I live in SoCal (and because of my forgetfulness)

Continued pain relief wishes! Nice to think something so simple could help that drastically!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:16 PM

Default bracelet

Hi thanks for the replies. Know what you mean Maria it does wear very thin when the rain keeps coming! I have been very good even though it p***ing it down here ,constantly. I have had some pain today but not enough to take a pain killer.. I bought the magnetic bracelet with the highest gauss spec and it cost quite a bit of money. A firend of mine has had the same make one on her wrist for 2 years as it made her chronic knee pain disappear but I was very sceptical because I had bought cheaper versions and stick on magnets before with no effect, but this is the business. wont say what it is called in case its not allowed but they are on the internet. You would have to be pretty strong to get mine off me at the moment!

Got my MRI Monday so will see the state of my neck a year after the 2 level disc replacements i1 year ago. Think it may show a problem higher up but if the bracelet works would prefer that to surgery even if it is free here! Keep you posted thanks again Mazzie
Retunred to work Jan 09
Old 10-28-2009, 03:12 PM

Question weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion View Post
Hi I havent posted for a long while (long story) my neck pain has really been minimal during the summer months mostly it isnt there, along with the most horrible toothache like pain in my head and neck higher than before. This pain is only related to weather and I am a living Barometer !
Im having that same problem and I have NOT had surgery....what does the weather do to cause this?
C4-5: Mild disc height loss with central annular fissure. Small broad-based left paracentral disc protrusion. Moderate central canal stenosis-the disc protrusion abuts and mildly flattens the left ventral surface of the spinal canal.

C5-6: Disc desiccation with mild height loss.Diffuse discosteophyte bulge and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, moderate central canal stenosis- Severe neuroforaminal stenosis bilaterally, right greater than left.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:09 AM

Marion:
Hope you get some answers with the MRI--but remember to take off the bracelet!