Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss 2nd Major back Surgey Log Blog and Expeirence in the Main forums forums; Hello fellow spinys, my name is Grant. I am lying in a hospital bed in Anaheim memorial hospital. It is ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 09:56 AM

Default 2nd Major back Surgey Log Blog and Expeirence

Hello fellow spinys, my name is Grant. I am lying in a hospital bed in Anaheim memorial hospital. It is day 4 after my l5-s1 revision from a bi-lateral pars fracture repair attempt. Story will bounce around a bit but hopefully some questions will guide me to the things people need to know first. For those that don't know like I didn't look, up the pars fractures then look up pars fracture repair you can tell what my previous problems where.

I will be updating this as I go for others to benefit from this one cause I sure did benefit from this site tremendously. Without this site I would have really made some of the most regrettable decisions of my life. Without this site I would not have found Mark Mintzer who for me is one the most important persons in my entire life. I will try and cover my whole story and hopefully people will ask questions and I can fill it in as I go.

I am 4 days post op from a l5-s1 PILF by Dr.Frank Coufal. Who I absolutely love and trust, he is and absolutely great doc to deal with.Takes all the time you need to answer all your questions, and my Moms and Girlfriend. They really like the guy too. He is sincere and genuinely cares to take his time. I am now off the IV meds and just receive injections and a boat load of narcotic pills with some antibiotics for a fever that they still have no real definite answer for. They say that people coming out of major surgery like this often have fevers for various reasons.

The pain that I had in my right leg felt like heavy pressure that started form my upper butt ran down the back of my thigh then out the side of my calf around to my big toe . My left leg had random pain in the same areas as well. Rarely did I have burning or tingling or numbness. I did have some hellish lower back pain. I was aggravated by sitting and not as much by moving but both could both get just as bad.

Well after this surgery I have found out that my l5 neural canals were absolutely crushed and that I had a ton of scar tissue build up from the hardware that was supposed to hold l5 together while it was supposed to grow back together but did not. It took Dr. Coufal 7.5 hours to due the total surgery, I tell you what it sure felt like he did seven hours of connoisseur bone carpentry on me the days following. It was hardware removal and fusion. The good thing is that Doc said that he thinks that he found and eliminated all of my pain generators which was the instability of the l5 vertebral body and the scar tissue/bone growth from the failed pars repair. OH YA BABY! The first surgery had a scar of about 6-7 inches top to bottom, I think this one is two inches. I have not seen this one but i can tell you the surgeon can make a big difference on how you muscle tissue feels following the surgery. It is only day four and I can tell you my muscles didn't feel this good till like 6 weeks after the last one.

My pain levels coming out the first day were controlled okay I was anywhere from 6-10. Day two was crazy good cause it was the day when I knew I made the right move cause my pain was 7 highest all day. Then that night till all the way to day 4 I was hitting 9-10 a lot. The nurses let my meds lapse and run out at least 3 times for more than an hour plus, which let the pain skyrocket and then the muscles tighten, well yall know the drill.(dilaudid pc pump). I was also on 60 mg of avinza and 3-4 norcos a day for about a year before hand so pain was hard to tackle. I also too was on lyrica which was a god send cause that help with the nerve pain in my legs better than anything else i was taking or had tried.

Getting tired and loopy so I will ramble more and answer more tomorrow

I REALLY DO HAVE LOVE AND COMPASSION FOR ALL OF THE SPINYS I MEET SO IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK IM IF YOU NEED TO!!!!!

till next entry.. and please if you have advice I would live to hear it!!! I am really scared and hopeful as well!!!

Last edited by grantwb1; 02-20-2010 at 04:39 PM. Reason: forgot one thing
Old 02-20-2010, 02:23 PM

Welcome Grant,

I'm glad you found this site and more so that it was a help to you. Many agree with your assessment of Mark. Can't say where my journey would have taken me without him.

You're still in the hospital and under careful supervision. At this time, the only advise I offer is to take is slow and careful. Back surgeries heal better when not pushed too much. Our mantra - slow and steady wins the race.

Good luck in your recovery and please keep us posted.

Dale
Old 02-20-2010, 05:37 PM

Default Hi Grant

Welcome to the forum!
I met Dr.Coufal back in 2006 when the State of CA.appointed him to be my 2nd surgical opinion thru WC and Mark accompanied me to this super important visit re WC.

I too thought Dr.Coufal really nice and very thorough. Mark hit it off with him and I actually feel like this appointment totally went in my favor and largely thanks to Mark ~ and this was really one of the most important recent WC decisions that could be made for me.

While the decision rendered was for a hybrid surgery with fusion at L5S1 and ADR at L4 I was hesitant as I had suffered a failed surgery back in '92 that left me much much worse than I was before the surgery so I've long been scared off of more surgery.

However in the hands of a most excellent surgeon and I do believe that Dr.Coufal is one of them perhaps I might have had a very good chance at excellence with surgery/recovery.

Well, I still have time for more surgeries if the spine still warrents it.. so never say never.

Back to you~ wishing you the absolute best with recovery and take it slow and steady as mentioned and bombs away!!! Hope you do wonderfully!!!
Old 02-21-2010, 07:00 AM

Default Day 5

Well I am finally home and on the couch as I write this. I did not get to speak with the doc today. I always like the assurance of speaking with him. Making it home was quite a journey. Thank God that I have family helping me, the first surgery i had no idea how disabled I was going to be. I still have only been to one doctor that has actually conveyed to me how bad this was really going to be. I really think that these docs have really taken the cliche its all relative and ran with it when they tell you the effects and the possible outcomes. I almost jumped at one doctor cause the answers he was giving me were just so much more negative that what the rest of the other docs I had seen were saying. This is one of those areas where I really used Mark almost endlessly. He really did help me fish through all the bullshit some of these money collecting doctors were saying.
Well I am waking up really stiff. some meds coffee and a small stroll takes care of that though(not completely). I am now in the all day hunt in trying to find the best resting/sitting/tv/video game position I can find. Man there are a lot of variables to adjust back there to make happy, and ooohhh weee let me tell you that if you twitch wrong it almost feels like you just had a major muscle group removed instantly. The most difficult thing for me is the nerves supposedly waking back up. Well how do I make them filet mignon and eggs with cinnamon rolls? WOW this can eat your brain with the thoughts of what did I do or Is that permanent, or is this going to stay like this and then get worse?!!!!!!!?!!!?!! The doc opened me up quite a bit so I am tryiny to fight off the the tyrannosaurus of runaway paranoia. I am having a pulling nerve pain on the outside back part of my thigh that was not there pre op right now that I am going to ask the doc about. It only happens when I am moving strangely to try and not move the way I am not supposed to

I am now on just oral meds and will call the pain doc first thing Monday morning to re-access. I thought I hated moving up on meds, lol they asked me to move down and I am still cussing them about it. I really wish I could carry around 5 minutes of my pain in pills, would probably get a lot more communicated but would also probably have to carry around diapers and tissue paper for the babies!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2010, 06:19 PM

Hey Grant, give yourself a break. After 5 days out, you want to decrease your meds???? The best thing you can do for yourself right now is to stay comfortable. Your recovery is in the infancy stage and you have quite a long way to go. This is not a 6 week and you're good to go surgery Give yourself the time to get there and you'll be grateful. Trying to deal with the pain serves no purpose.

Take the drugs, be grateful for them and try not to be impatient. This can take more time than you're willing to give it which will only create more anxiety. Try to relax.

Be sure to tell you pm doctor everything you're experiencing and try to be open to the recommended drugs.

Dale
Old 02-21-2010, 07:42 PM

Default About pain meds and leggings

No, Dale I am not wanting to decrease on my meds. I am still wondering why they first take me off IV meds after two days, then at five days the doctor is sending me home on about the same amount of meds as the day I went in the hospital. I do not understand this. Honestly I am going to have to listen to my PM doc cause she really has taken wonderful care of me for the last year. I was able to work the whole time up to surgery.

Here is a questions for the vets, they gave me these compression leggings that seem to be like wearing steel wool jock strap. They are cold always and do not dry and itch like a MF. Are there any alternatives or remedies to help with these sheeths from hell???? Please help?!?!
Old 02-21-2010, 10:48 PM

Default re post surgery

Grant,
RE post surgery I wish I had a forum such as this or any other to have posted on because many of my feelngs were exactly what you've written.. Vent away man because what you're saying is totally understood.

Re the compression stockings it sounds like the nerves invovled are really feeling beat up by the pressure or at least feel that way. Have you put in a call to your doctor to let him know how the legs feel w/the stockings on?

I realize what they are for and trying to prevent however torturous they may be tho just want to make sure that your surgeon is aware of your level of discomfort and response to the pressure.

I didn't wear compression stockings long post op first surgery or at all for 2nd so back to the Vet's who has fusion and can tell you all about it.

Wishing you the best even tho it's slo go re recovery here's hoping it gets better soon!
Old 02-22-2010, 03:56 AM
Administrator

Grant, I have some important advice for you....

You'd best be practicing your fade away... nobody drives on me...

(At least not 30 years ago... before you were alive!)

Practice up buddy...

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 02-23-2010, 04:42 AM

Talking Day 7

Ok day 7, .... oh how I wish it would come out easy!! Taking a pooh is like gettysburg to the civil war. I am stopped up pretty good, and all I can do is eat these little pills that are not working very well at all, then I can try the wax bullet(these were made as a practical joke). Ohhh ohhh then if that doesn't work I get to use these baby seal feeder bottles and shove one in my bum ,and get this put something more in my bum. This is just getting better as I go along. I got some fools water in my bum and it is making me feel like a twelve pack of corona'a has found the wrong exit and doesn't care... well I decided not to argue. Just the corona though, oh wait a minute..... what felt big just a pebble. Here is where the fools water is going to start coming into play. I really feel that if i push hard enough that there is something worth fighting for. So I endure two people pulling me in half for a while thinking this pain is worth it, really should pooing ever hurt this bad. That fools water keeps saying almost there mean while i am just crying cause it hurts so much and that is it. I had to give up on finishing my pooh! I am hoping that the gods smile on me and this is easier tomorrow, it doesn't hurt i have doubled up on all the pooh meds. I have not had trouble pooh this entire last year I was suffering.

Well I am now having some nerve differences that I have read other people have post op from fusion. I am still really worried about them. The main one right now seems to be on my left leg on the outside of my calf then follows up the back outside half of my thigh. My mother was putting some dressig on the wound and I found that if you press on the wound. I guess I am hoping someone can say oh ya that sounds like mine and that it goes away soon,

So far so good, if you are rootin for me thank you! This was defiantly the most difficult decision that I have ever had to make. Now with each new pain in my legs or back I am reminded just how close I am to utter agony.They really can be little panic attacks. I really do feel from the way the muscle tissue loosing up a lot faster than my first surgery that I had a surgeon that is just that damn good and cared. My back feels solid and my legs don't feel mega presure on them. Now with the Surgeon doing that good of a job hopefully I will not ruin his work by twisting or bending wrong.

If I lay on the bed flat on my back it presses on the bandageand I can feel it in my left leg.... is this normal. Is there anything I would be able to feel now that will definantly be a permanent problem??

Well it is too late and I am falling asleep writing this...... you up Mark???
I will reedit this tomorrow, I WISH ALL SPINY'S THE BEST

G

Last edited by grantwb1; 02-23-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:39 PM

Default solution to poo problem

just an old remedy a pediatric doctor used to recommend
try 1/2 glass gingerale with 1/2 glass prune juice.add tablespoon brown sugar.put in lots of ice and stir.should get results in 12 hours.u get to like it after drinking daily for a while.hope it helps kelly
Old 02-23-2010, 06:22 PM

Oh Grant,

Pages and pages on forums were dedicated to the use of various laxatives. I remember my suffering lasted for about 3 months. If memory serves, the most recommendations were eating boxes of prunes and warm prune juice. Helped me a little but I found more relief in 2 tablespoons of mineral oil, morning and night. Kind of greases the pipes. However, be prepared that this difficulty will probably last awhile. Try everything you can but be forewarned that you may not find the relief you seek for awhile yet.

As for your nerve pain - everyone is different but for most, it does get better with time. Seven days out your nerves are still screaming and your muscles still spasming. Take whatever meds you can but be warned about the side effects - see above.

I'm laughing at remembering at how all consuming this problem was. It will resolve when it will. Wish I had better news.

Dale
Old 02-24-2010, 01:33 AM

Default Who said prune juice tastes bad

Well this stuff actually tastes good to me(prune juice). This is good news cause we are just going to see what the effects of about 1/2 gallon or more a day are. I think that is goin with about 4-5 of those really expensive pooh pills Koolace. Then I am going to do the mineral oil thing as well. I am taking these fiber therapy pills. Anyone got any other guns to fire at my ass literaly. There should be like a stun weapon that you just place on stomach then hit the button then blamo empty!!!

Well I am taking about three walks a day now. They are probably about a half mile each. I have no idea how long or far I should be walking at this point but this feels comfortable and I will increase as I feel I can. Any input on this one would be appreciated. Nerve pain is still changing so I guess that is a good sign.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:09 AM

Sounds like your walking is right on track. Several small walks are much better than one long one. Let you body be your guide and you should do fine.

D
Old 02-25-2010, 01:54 PM

Default the bomb

A bottle of Magnesium Citrate should clear you out altho it tastes really salty and ugghhh however it has always done the trick for me to clean out the pipes.

Also I've bought a bottle of powdered Magnesium from the health food stores and used that in tea which is helpful tho it's more difficult for me to gage the amount to effect.

I use Senakot S 2-3 each evening and Miralax 17gm with coffee each morning. Sometimes the results are the best and sometimes not as it too depends on what I eat. I find if I eat very lightly at night the results are better in the a.m.

How's the mineral oil working for you??
Old 02-25-2010, 08:06 PM

Default Who would have thought

If you would have told me that the most difficult thing about having a spinal fusion would be pooping. I would have said hell ya this is going to be a breeze. I can tell you now that this is the thing I will warn everyone about. I am going to the store today(actually having someone else bring this stuff). I don't care if I don't leave the bathroom for a couple hours. I think this is the only time I have wanted to have the runs. About to call the Dr. to make sure that I don't hurt myself but I really am going to use all the above said methods until I got nothing left inside me. I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:47 PM

Default don't od

On laxatives.. the mag citrate is harsh and should do the trick to at least clean you out tho be forewarned it is really difficult to guzzle. Make sure it's cold is all I can say.

Re the other stuff give it a go and see how you do. I'm on pain medication that constipates and can't fathom being post op multi level fusion with plugged up probs tho I try to clear myself out from top to bottom and if that requires use of an enema to do so I will go there.. not sure you could assume that position at this point (no twisting).

Personally I'm not shy at helping out a friend/family member in this area after years of nursing and too many enemas to count along the way as staff nurse in the earlier years.

I think one Halloween I wanted to go out as Enema Queen.. carrying a hose and bag of Fleets.. remember having great laughs over that tho think we were all a bit *happy* if you catch my drift. Back in the day that is...

Ok nuff said and BOMBS AWAY!!! Best of luck in the BR! Don't overdo all at one time
Old 02-26-2010, 09:21 PM

Default Damn Pooptrain

I still cannot go. I have tried a bottle of that mag citrate. I smashed the whole bottle no problem. That still didn't get it going. A mineral oil enema got some action. Now I just need to get some unassisted action. This is just another battle that I am going to have to win.

I am walking a lot now. I think I am going to be a pro speed walker, I am like a gazelle with a turtle shell.

I feel like all the pains and nerve irritation is like a pain and aches roulette. Right after surgery the pains are all around and bouncing here or there. The pain is here one day and there the next where it stops nobody knows. I just hope when the ball stops bouncing it is on the no pain slot. Man my right leg hurts like **** hell today.

I keep telling myself that I am going to post my whole story cause I think it will help someone because I still have not met anyone with the same first surgery that I have. Maybe next time, I am just out of energy.

Thank yall for the tips so far on getting moving again.

Last edited by grantwb1; 10-13-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:34 AM

Default Leg is killing me.

Well I got some problems figured out. You just need the right tools for the job. I am using miralax in my coffee and some mineral oil periodically and the senakot at night. More of all if needed, I went overboard and spent a little more time on the toilet than I think my back liked.

I am really hurting in my right leg. Friday I might have walked too far. Then spent a lot of time in that bathroom. I also think that the chair that I am spending my days in is not helping either. So I am laying down watching tv and playing a lot of video games. It is hard not to get the thoughts that this is going to get worse and that this pain is not going to stop. I am hoping that some of yall could tell me that yes nerve pain at two weeks is normal and that it can fade and just be aggravated nerves. I am really bad about mentally dooming myself cause this nerve pain is bad. I think that the back pain is on pace as far as how my first surgery to this one felt. The area inside feels a little stiffer than the first time but the muscle around and up to the skin is much better than the first go around. Mark and the rest of the surgeons all have agreed that the first surgeon made a huge incision 6-7" and that is what left me so friggin stiff the first go around. If I didn't have this nerve pain I would be peaches. I have an appointment with Dr.Coufal on Wednesday so I can ask him some questions. I really thought that I was doing good but at almost two weeks out nerve pain popping up is spooking me.

I am so thankful that I have a girlfriend that is understanding and that I have family that is taking absolutely wonderful care of me. The bittersweet part of this is I like doing things myself and that I like being the thoughtful and useful person. I feel really lazy and that is the worst feeling to me.

I am still going to win on this one it just feels really dark right now

Thank yall for all the suggestions and helping me win the BM battle!

Last edited by grantwb1; 10-13-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:10 PM

Despair not! You are still in the freshman healing days and nerve pain is normal. It does subside but also takes its sweet time.

During this nerve firing time, you might try Neurontin or Lyrica. They both help and took my level 91/2-10 pain down to 2-3, until the pain naturally subsided over a 2 year span. They kind of make you weird and can cause off the wall dreams but the relief is well worth it.

Also, allow yourself to get help from others. Back surgery is no walk in the park. And glad the pipes are functioning, albeit with some help, again.

Better days!, Dale
Old 03-01-2010, 08:20 PM

Default Walking is good!! At the two week mark.

I must say that I am glad that I can walk and that it does not seem to cause me any discomfort. I have been walking twice a day now. One long walk probably about six or seven blocks total. Then one short around the apartment complex at night. I really would push it and walk a lot further just because of how good it feels to be doing something physical and how good it makes me feel, but I am really scared of over doing it now.

The nerve pain in my right leg is really making me panic bad mentally. I freak out and wonder how I am going to deal with this forever. It has been bothering me for three days now. I don't understand why at almost two weeks I have had no nerve or leg pain then boom I have right leg pain bad. The pain is different every couple of hours, my toe and back of my thigh, then my calf and outer ankle. Then sometimes like now after my walk the whole leg just feels tight and over worked. My right hip feels really tight and my the right side seems to be the one that always has problems. Even the muscles feel tighter on the right side of the incision. My surgery was close to eight hours so I am hoping that my nerves are just pissed off and will settle down. I am getting used to the idea that I will always have pain, I just really hope that the nerve pain goes. That is why I had the surgery to begin with was to get rid of the leg pain. The day after the surgery I remember walking and for the first time in a year my leg felt normal and that felt weird. I wish it still felt that way.

Has anyone else had symptoms like this after fusion that went away? Is having nerve pain similar to preop normal with fusion? I know these might be doctor questions but I would like some personal experience. Does anyone have else have fusion success that had nerve troubles weeks after the surgery. If so I could really use the knowledge of it.

Thank you all for listening and I really wish for a low pain day for all.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:06 AM

Can't say about fusion but I had almost no nerve pain prior to my 3 level ADR but severe nerve pain after. My legs became hyper sensative and I couldn't move them. Neurontin took care of the moving in just days but I needed crutches for 5 months and Dilaudid for 6 months. All the while I was maxxed out with Neurontin too. Then the pain began to subside and I decreased my meds until now, 4 1/2 years post op I only take anti-inflamms and either muscle relaxers and/or Norco for any pain when I overdo. My foot an ankle still burn but most often, I don't notice it anymore.

I know you're scared. I thought I'd be on crutches for the rest of my life but I walk just fine. I thought the acute pain in my legs would last forever, but it began to lessen after 6 months. I still have problems and you might too but the anger your nerves feel right now, should ease up as they calm down. Try resting in a zero gravity position which will take pressure off your muscles which will allow your nerves slowly ease tension. Just a suggestion.

Dale
Old 03-02-2010, 02:01 PM

Default Thank you!!

I cannot tell you how grateful for your reply I am. I really does have me feeling really hopeful. You have really made my day. I am really spooked about the nerve pain. Thank you so much!!
Old 03-07-2010, 01:47 AM

Default Ahhhh a good day.

Well today is a good day!! I am about two days shy of three weeks post op. My leg has finally let up. It is not hurting like hell today. It still is irritated but is a lot better. It felt really weird last night. I had cabin fever so I got out to the local starbucks to sit and have tea with my girlfriend. I drove too! It really wore me out to, was out about three hours and it felt like I put in about eighteen hours at work. I woke up this morning and my leg felt like it was going to hurt but it kinda subsided after being up for a minute. I am getting out on walks a lot more too I am still in a good amount of pain and still taking a lot of meds. The pain just seems to be a little dull and not so sharp to the mind. I am noticing that sitting or lying in any position is uncomfortable after a while. I am starting to feel just sore rather than really hurting. I tend to push a lot so I will probably be right around hurting and worn out for a while now. The less I hurt the more I do. I am just stoked that the leg pain has let up a bit. Oh man I really hope that it keeps getting batter and goes away completely. I could deal with my current state though so I cannot complain.

I wish all a no pain day.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:00 PM

Thumbs up

And I'm sure that day will come. Nerve healing takes much more time than we're willing to give it. Patience is not in our healing song but we have no choice. Keep up the walking, doing and each day will be just a bit better, except of course, for those days when we feel great and overdo!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:58 PM

Default Update

Well I am a few days shy of the one month mark. I still have nerve pain in my right foot/leg that is slow to leave me, and starting to worry me. I also have a clicking/popping sound coming from the right part of my pelvis when I move my right leg a certain way. I am wondering if the screws that the doc replaced in my L5 were big enough to fill the holes that were widened from the last screws slowly coming loose. How can they tell if the screws were big enough? How long can my nerves stay mad and irritated? I am still walking about 10-20 minutes a day. If I did not have the nerve pain I would be out and about and doing so much more. This really does have me frozen with fear of being this way forever. I hope that this is just part of the process.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:49 PM

Nerves heal slowly and yes, sometimes not at all but one month out is so early in the nerve department. I am 4 1/2 years out and still see improvment.

It took me 5 months before I could walk without crutches and 6 months before I could give up narcotics. It took a year before I could walk 1 block without my leg giving out. It took 2 years before my life was 'back' and I still have daily, albeit doable, pain. I took Neurontin for 2 years.

Just a few nights ago, I noticed my foot wasn't burning which coincided with a couple of down days but a first.

So while I understand your fears of the possibility of a lifetime of pain, 1 month is not a very practical guide. The B vitamins are supposedly helpful with the nerve healing process but I'm sorry to report that in all probability, you'll have to wait. However, this doesn't mean you should live with pain. Take Neurontin or Lyrica - take whatever helps with the pain. Stay as comfortable as you can.

Unfortunately our minds are very dark. Instead of waiting and seeing, they immediately take us to 'OMG'. I can't assure you your nerve pain will subside with time but experience and reading other's posts have told me time is your friend and your fear is a waste of your energies. Easy to say for me, hard to do for you.

If you want to talk, pm me with your phone number or I'll give you mine. Hearing a pain-free voice might help.

Sending you worry free vibes, Dale
Old 03-22-2010, 02:48 AM

Default Hope!!!!!!

I drove to see Avatar with my girlfriend and got dinner afterward, I was out for a total of five hours. Almost all relatively pain free!!!!! I took my normal pain meds but still I felt better than I did two days ago before this. It is so weird how on Friday I hurt so bad I wondered about life. Today was needed!!.

My walking is still the same. My nerve pain is still in my right leg and not consistent on location or intensity. One minute it is bad then the next I almost do not feel it at all. It is mainly in my foot now. The back pain now feels as though the surgery has addressed the problem. I am waking with achy hips. I am still having a general pain in my legs from time to time where both of my legs and lower spine just ache. The right side of my lumbar area is still sore. When I move sometimes my spine feels bruised and some movements are greeted with a weird mental NO! from my body. I am having some pops and clicks which the doc says is normal, I personaly shit myself when I hear these pops, I really do not like them! I really feel like I have taken a large step forward this weekend though. I was feeling really dark for a while, not good.

Avatar is one of the top entertainment events I have ever seen. Go see this in IMAX 3D. It is absolutely awesome! Mcormick and Schmick has awesome oysters too!!!
Old 03-22-2010, 05:23 PM

Grant,

Feeling 'normal' is what this whole thing is all about and you were able to pull it off for a short while.

I hope this shows you that you are improving. Your nerves, sometimes good sometimes bad is probably a sign they are calming down, even if only slightly.

Patience is the name of this game and keeping yourself comfortable is the way to get through this - but I'm not telling you something you don't already know - just reminding you

Keep up the good work, Dale
Old 04-16-2010, 03:28 AM

Default Back to work!!

I went back to work today. I do not know if I was necessarily ready for it but I made it through the day and didn't have to take more than my normal meds. I am an IT guy at an operator call center so I do not do any physical labor thank god.

All the people at work threw a welcome back party and had a ton of food for my lunch. They also decorated my cubicle and greeted me at the door on arrival. It was a nice warm fuzzy.

Being back at work was a great distraction. I am just looking for all the changes so that I can get up to speed with what is going on. I am defiantly hurting but I made it through the day. If this was the hardest day I will be alright.

Wishing no pain for my spiney friends!!
Old 04-16-2010, 12:22 PM

Default cogratulations!

Glad you made it back to work~ that is great news!
When I returned to work after my first discectomy (took 3 months off and went back to work part time for 3 months) I had pain for awhile still so I did less of seeing patients and more paperwork (Nurse Practitioner in OB-GYN and Family Practice Clinic at the time).

My last job I did Telephone Triage/Advice Nurse and I modified my cubicle so I could stand at my computer station to work. I had a thick spongy type pad underneath my chair so that I could stand on this and alleviate some of the pressure from standing on just the thinly carpeted floor.

I expect you won't need these types of modifications tho just thought I'd throw that out there in case you have to sit all day and are having some trouble w/that.

My husband is an IT person and he has to sit alot tho tries to stand as much as he can tho I don't think it's as much as he should.. he has an L5S1 disc bulge.

It's good to hear that you've progressed as far as you have and also about Dr.Coufal's good work! He is someone I'd consider having surgery with most definately if I ever had to have a fusion.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:21 PM

Life can be good and people can be great. Warm and fuzzy works for me. What a gratifying experience!

Dale
Old 04-26-2010, 11:00 AM

Default how ya doin'?

I'm thinking you must be busy with work and life in general so hope that's true and you're going great!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:07 AM

Default Update

Thank you Maria, yes I am busy. I guess back to work and now I am bouncing off the oh I feel better then oh I did to much line. I am still improving slower than I want but as long as I am improving I will take it. The nerve pain in my leg seems to be getting a little better. Now I am having muscle pain and just some major ache to my low back. I am working as long as I take some lying down sessions on a camping mat in my office. Doc cut my meds and I am not happy about it but she is the doc not me, I guess its time. I start physical therapy this week so I cannot wait to stretch. I hope that I can break a sweat doing therapy. I really miss being able to work out and break a sweat and relieve the stress.

I am wishing the best day of as little to no pain for all my fellow spiny's!!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:08 PM

Default sounds like progress

Grant,
thanks for the reply and well wishes to all spineys.. we certainly need them!

Re the down time on the mat at work~ I did the same thing after my back surgeries and it helped greatly w/recovery. My knee surgeries needed some down time as well tho that was usually sitting with ice packs off and on during breaks!

It takes time and sounds like you're doing pretty good. Good luck with your PT.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:03 AM

Default Good Update!!!

I cannot believe how far I have come. I can live with my current condition. I have been working without hindrance and long hours. Been taking an hour lay down session reading a book in the middle of the day and that is now really helping and making more of a difference than before. The nerve pain in my leg/foot is slowly fading away. I am loving my physical therapy, the therapist is awesome. Dr. Mark Cheng, he is working me good, mild workout and message/ stretching. I have been sore in the muscles bad, I actually love being sore like this!!!! I really think I have a shot at playing sports again if the recovery keeps moving at the pace it is!!! I still am not very happy with the pace but hey it is still improving right. I am slowly coming off the meds as well. I cannot wait for the coming days again and I am smiling more and joking again. Thank you all for your support. Mark you are a life saver!!!

Sending pain free vibes to my fellow spiney's!!!
Old 07-31-2010, 08:36 PM

Default Update!! Good times

Hello all, I am doing really well. My biggest issue now is still the nerve pain in my right leg. It is just a fraction of what it used to be, but still there. I would say it is less than half what it used to be. I still have soreness in the low back but really I think this is due my therapy being torture specialists!! Really though therapy is working me to death and I am loving it!! I ran on a treadmill for a good while this week twice and besides the normal soreness that you get when you have not exercise for while I had no pain or problems from it!! I thought I would never enjoy the sun, a basketball goal and ball again but with my PT's consent I AM SHOOTING HOOPS AGAIN!!! I am not playing games with others just shooting but I am an athlete and this is one of the most important things in life to me. I have a friend doing a lot of the running/chasing/bending for the ball but I am shooting!!!

I am starting to have a lot of real positive things happen for me again. I feel life coming back to me again slowly. This is really a long slow road out of hell. I don't think anyone can be prepared for the metal and physical test that spinal fusion is. The one thing that I can say has helped me is that I have been pretty steady at improvement. I have had a set back in therapy that set me back about two weeks in pain and progress. I got so down about it, I am talking real bad!! IT IS KEY TO REMEMBER THAT EVERYONE HAS SET BACKS!! I am back on track now. I feel like a turtle in a rabbit race for sure, but I am going to get to the finish!!

I am still taking my meds but am still slowly coming down on them. I am at less than I was pre op so I think that my tolerance form being on heavy meds for two years is the reason that I am not all the way off now. I would probably still need them daily just not that much medication.

Sorry for not updating for a while, I had that set back and was down pretty bad. I know that that is the time when I should be writing! I am still here for pm's and questions. I wish all my spiney friends good days. I really do think about you guys a lot!!

Grant

Last edited by grantwb1; 07-31-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:16 PM

Grant,

Shooting hoops - a small step but a huge milestone. It took me two years before I felt 'normal' again and I'm still improving almost 5 years out. I'm still quite aware of my nerve damage and me leg resents being pushed which I do on daily basis but is something I've learned to live with. But I too, after 5 years, still have ups and downs.

At times my downs take me to a one woman pity party but then everything starts to feel better and I get on with it again. I've also been getting a lot better at taking whatever meds I need whenever but admitting I needed them was the difficult part. Basically I know my limitations and work around them.

Message; nerve pain takes a long time to resolve, if ever. Just deal with it and you'll do fine. If you get down to that pity party, ride it out and know that when it comes again, it's short lived. We've all been through it but it's still unsettling.

Keep up the good work, Dale
Old 08-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Administrator

Grant, thanks so much for keeping us updated.

I watched another BIG fusion recently... it's no surprise to hear you say, "I don't think anyone can be prepared for the metal and physical test that spinal fusion is!"

Please stay focused on not doing too much too soon. When you feel you are ready for some 1 v 1... I'm here!

Mark
Old 08-03-2010, 05:32 PM

Default glad to hear

Grant,
so good to hear your progress is fairly steady and good even with a flare up that made you wonder about things. Thanks so much for the update. Nice to hear good things re multi level fusion and Dr.Coufal too (having seen him once 4 years ago and hearing him raved about by a multilevel fusion patient in the waiting room who had driven himself 2 hours for a postop check. I want to say he did that at the 6 week mark but I might be off on recalling that part).
Old 10-13-2010, 04:54 PM

Default Drugs are bad mmmkay mr. Mackie!!!

Good day folks,

This is a long over due update. I am still improving very well. My biggest problem now is that I am coming off all the meds and let me tell you it is kicking my ass!! About two months ago I went off the long acting time released avinza(along with immediate release morphine) to immediate release only. That was rocky but in about two days time I was feeling all the better. Now about two weeks ago I went from about 5-6 half pieces of 15mg morphine to three percocets a day. HOLY**** that was a major change. I can go on and on about all the things that this effects. If you are going through this then you know that if there is a body function or brain function med withdrawals effect this. I am depressed, highly irritated, stomach is constantly flipping, a lot of anxiety and more. I am realizing now that the meds have not given me pain relief for a while now so coming of is an easy logical decision. Key word there is logical, unfortunately my nerves are not educated in logical decision making. I am slowly putting more time in between doses and trying to hack it as long as I can before the next dose. I am at about two total 10mg percocets a day. I break them in half and take them at shorter intervals, lower amount of medicine but better even distribution on medicine. There are a lot more ups and downs with the percocets vs the morphine. I would be close to off if I did not have a pressure cooker of a job. (my close co workers are laughing at me cause I snap on people now and that is not my character) The people that I work with now understand but it took seeing me go completely out of character and blow up about some really minor things before they finally realized that I was not joking about having mood swings. I am not a depressed person and I can say that all through this affair that I have kept my head up, well now I am feeling it. I am not accepting this and I know that it is cause my body is not making the chemicals it needs to make me feel ok but after 4 weeks of feeling this its tough. I cannot believe how addicted my body is on these pills.

On a better note I am still getting into better and better shape. I have now finished my therapy. I am able to run about 3 miles on a tread mill, work out with light weights, and not have any pain or discomfort other that muscle sorness. I recently started a swimming class at a local college and I can say that this is a great workout and an awesome challenge. The great thing about swimming is that when you are in the water there is no weight on the spine and I can feel this. When I run I am thinking about every foot touch, its almost like a hesitation cause I know how bad it could get real fast. When I am in the water that feeling is just not there, I feel closer to "normal"(meaning no discomfort or pain) in the water than I have since I did not have back problems!!! I am so lucky that I am able to do this cause right now with my mental state this is the only thing that is helping. I think the next step is to hand Mark a beat down in hoops!!

There are still a lot of highs and lows. I have read over my earlier posts and can tell you that I forget about my last big problem cause the current one gets more attention, but they keep working out. Perspective... being able to keep perspective and staying out of the moment. I have always felt that I will recover GREAT form this and still feel that I am going to. I am way off in my expectations of how fast I should recover but I AM GOING TO RECOVER, play ball, lift weights, snowboard, and all the other things that make me smile. My vessel is under way...

Sending pain free vibes to all my fellow spiney's!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 05:55 PM

Default duh-rh-ughs...(drugs)

Hey Grant,
I have stopped Neurontin that I took for 12 years w/little prob and stopped taking Fioricet every day that I was telling myself I was taking to prevent migraines (now just take for super duper h/a/migraine) and very infrequently HOWEVER~ the pain medication is really difficult to drop down from the 10mg/day dose and I take it every 24 hours.

The pain medication is thought to have caused "torturous bowel" - where part of my colon is very torturous thus making parastalsis and eventual evacuation even more difficult w/o being tied to laxatives a.m. and p.m. and now it seems it may have helped create a situation w/my bladder as well (cystocele) or bladder wall prolapse (from all the pushing/bearing down).

So I'm thinking I'm going to have to go off this stuff and find out where my real pain levels lie eventually esp. if I have to have a bladder tack up or some such surgery and bearing down is totally prohibited for a number of weeks (suposedly always).

Oh.. did I mention I completely get what you're saying re the moods.. yeah, it has happened to me when trying to decrease the pain medication that I've now been on for 10 years.

I can't imagine working and having my stomach flipping out all over the place or the moods as you mention. I can take someone's head off for no reason tho by now usually find the TV zone too comforting to leave when feeling really disgruntled.

Oh so easy to get along on these drugs and oh so difficult to get off some of them! Wishing you the best and just keep the sharp objects out of your hands at work!!! take care and thanks for the update! Glad to hear you're doing so incredibly well physically and that the swimming is so helpful mentally too (I used to swim every day and felt the same way).
Old 10-14-2010, 06:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to mack macky

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantwb1 View Post
Hello fellow spinys, my name is Grant. I am lying in a hospital bed in Anaheim memorial hospital. It is day 4 after my l5-s1 revision from a bi-lateral pars fracture repair attempt. Story will bounce around a bit but hopefully some questions will guide me to the things people need to know first. For those that don't know like I didn't look, up the pars fractures then look up pars fracture repair you can tell what my previous problems where.

I will be updating this as I go for others to benefit from this one cause I sure did benefit from this site tremendously. Without this site I would have really made some of the most regrettable decisions of my life. Without this site I would not have found Mark Mintzer who for me is one the most important persons in my entire life. I will try and cover my whole story and hopefully people will ask questions and I can fill it in as I go.

I am 4 days post op from a l5-s1 PILF by Dr.Frank Coufal. Who I absolutely love and trust, he is and absolutely great doc to deal with.Takes all the time you need to answer all your questions, and my Moms and Girlfriend. They really like the guy too. He is sincere and genuinely cares to take his time. I am now off the IV meds and just receive injections and a boat load of narcotic pills with some antibiotics for a fever that they still have no real definite answer for. They say that people coming out of major surgery like this often have fevers for various reasons.

The pain that I had in my right leg felt like heavy pressure that started form my upper butt ran down the back of my thigh then out the side of my calf around to my big toe . My left leg had random pain in the same areas as well. Rarely did I have burning or tingling or numbness. I did have some hellish lower back pain. I was aggravated by sitting and not as much by moving but both could both get just as bad.

Well after this surgery I have found out that my l5 neural canals were absolutely crushed and that I had a ton of scar tissue build up from the hardware that was supposed to hold l5 together while it was supposed to grow back together but did not. It took Dr. Coufal 7.5 hours to due the total surgery, I tell you what it sure felt like he did seven hours of connoisseur bone carpentry on me the days following. It was hardware removal and fusion. The good thing is that Doc said that he thinks that he found and eliminated all of my pain generators which was the instability of the l5 vertebral body and the scar tissue/bone growth from the failed pars repair. OH YA BABY! The first surgery had a scar of about 6-7 inches top to bottom, I think this one is two inches. I have not seen this one but i can tell you the surgeon can make a big difference on how you muscle tissue feels following the surgery. It is only day four and I can tell you my muscles didn't feel this good till like 6 weeks after the last one.

My pain levels coming out the first day were controlled okay I was anywhere from 6-10. Day two was crazy good cause it was the day when I knew I made the right move cause my pain was 7 highest all day. Then that night till all the way to day 4 I was hitting 9-10 a lot. The nurses let my meds lapse and run out at least 3 times for more than an hour plus, which let the pain skyrocket and then the muscles tighten, well yall know the drill.(dilaudid pc pump). I was also on 60 mg of avinza and 3-4 norcos a day for about a year before hand so pain was hard to tackle. I also too was on lyrica which was a god send cause that help with the nerve pain in my legs better than anything else i was taking or had tried.

Getting tired and loopy so I will ramble more and answer more tomorrow

I REALLY DO HAVE LOVE AND COMPASSION FOR ALL OF THE SPINYS I MEET SO IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK IM IF YOU NEED TO!!!!!

till next entry.. and please if you have advice I would live to hear it!!! I am really scared and hopeful as well!!!
hi i am mack .. sorry to hear the pain your going through .. well i am also like you and today( while i wrote this) is my 22nd day after my surgery on c4/5 and c6/7 ( two level adr) i am having pain on my right shoulders . Though the pain is what I would it as 3 -10 but i expected it to be 0 . I wont know weather the pain may excalate or subside . what i really wish is to be painless for all time ..
So just like you... i still remember after the 1st to 6days after surgery I had lots of pain and it just came down to almost 0 on the seventh day and remain there almost 18 days . And only 2 days ago I experience this 3 -10 pain . I am only on arcoxia 1/day .
I hope you soon will be pain free . tq
Old 10-14-2010, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantwb1 View Post
I think the next step is to hand Mark a beat down in hoops!!
Those must be some drugs you are on.... Hallucinating much lately? While you may be short and fast, like Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, but you'll have to call me Chief. (Rent the movie or ask someone a little older.)

All kidding aside, it's a great problem for you to have.... how tough it is to get off the meds. I know how much it sucks from past experience, but wish I was having the taper trouble again. While your recovery has been pretty slow, I'm very encouraged by what seems to be pretty steady progress. I'm hoping that in a few weeks, I'll get to meet the real Grant instead of spine patient Grant. (But I'll kick his ass at hoops too!)

Mark
Old 10-14-2010, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Mack... welcome to the forum. Just 3 weeks out... I hope to hear about more and more improvement. Please keep us posted.

All the best,

Mark
Old 10-14-2010, 04:34 PM

Grant,

The only drug I had problems getting off of was Lyrica, which I did over a span of 2-3 months - go figure! Everyone is different and yes, it can be a bitch but well worth it. I try looking ahead - e.g., tomorrow (or next week or ???) this will all be in the past.

I remember posting about constipation problems after my surgery that seemed never ending. The words of comfort and support from others did nothing to alleviate my problem. However, looking forward, I knew it wouldn't last forever so I tried concentrating on my tomorrows. Now, looking back, I hardly remember any of my post surgical plagues. Getting off drugs is just one more nuisance. What a wonderful problem to have!

Mack,

Welcome to the forum. You're on the other side but not doing as well as expected. What does your doctor say about your new pain? I wouldn't expect a 10 pain other than surgical pain but then again, there as so many ups and downs post surgery, perhaps it's only your body protesting the invasion. I do hope it subsides just as quickly as it appeared. Are you doing anything against doctor's orders? Are you taking it slow? Please let us know what your doctor is saying about this.

Dale
Old 10-23-2010, 12:57 AM

My father is about to undergo the same procedure. Thanks for your story, and my best wishes to you.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:06 PM

Default Great Update!!!

Hello- I am checking in with success far better than I have felt in a long time. I am about a year and five months out from my fusion and slowly steadily improving. I am putting my life back together and getting busy with it. Really starting to put the pain behind me. I feel as though I have waited to long to update but here goes.

My pain levels are low. I have about 2% of the nerve pain that I had before, almost none!! I take very little meds, maybe once a month! I have a lot of tension in and around the surgery site that is slowly loosening up still but the rest of my back for the most part is finally free of spasms and extreme tension. I am stretching twice a day very well. I use an elliptical and some weights/machines in the gym about 4x a week. I shoot hoops at the park on the weekend and I giggle when I do this, I really can't express what this means to me. I am close to the best shape of my life. I plan on getting there with some swimming and biking if the spine allows.

I would have to say that I did not think that I would ever feel this good again. I am not perfect or pain free but almost close enough to be elated about my progress. It might be to early to say but this looks like a successful fusion.

I want to thanks all that have followed and helped me!

Mark, thank you. You enabled me to make the best decisions and feel great about them. I don't have word that are able to express the gratitude I have for you!
Old 07-16-2011, 05:43 AM

Grant congrats on your success and your willingness to share it.

Mark is the man...and it certainly is a dark world that he leads many through. As new patients, we are at such an incredible disadvantage with regard to knowledge and perspective...something that Mark has in droves. I echo your sentiments.

The Bionic Man - "We'll make him better than he was before...Better, Stronger, Faster"...well not quite but you get the idea