Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Celebrex in the Main forums forums; I've been taking this drug for 6 years now and have tried to get off of it several times. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 09:05 PM

Default Celebrex

I've been taking this drug for 6 years now and have tried to get off of it several times. Recently, I decided to try again. First I took it every other day, then every 3rd day and stopped taking it altogether 2 weeks ago.

My pain definitely increased, especially in bed at night, I simply could not get comfortable. I don't do well lying down. But I was hanging on, hoping it wouldn't get worse but then again, we all hope for the best.

Last night, my left ankle so sensative the slightest touch hurts, both my feet burning - my right foot started tingling, then pins and needles and then lightening bolts of pain piercing my outer foot to the inside, repeatedly, several times a minute. No position changed this pain. Walking relieved it only slightly. At 3am I'm probably not thinking all that clearly anyway but it took another hour before I reached for the Celebrex.

I have never had an experience like when this medication took hold. I could actually feel it washing over me as it started at the top of my thigh and gently but quickly, trickled down my whole leg until all the pain stopped.

As much as I fear this drug, this morning I am once again much more comfortable. My ankle is still sensative but I don't need to protect it. My feet still burn but I'm not aware of it all the time. I know Celebrex is not good for me, especially long term and as I get older but I see no other alternative.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Dale
Old 09-09-2011, 11:30 PM

Default type of pain

Dale,
I took Vioxx for awhile which was excellent for my arthritic type of pain altho it caused such a tight feeling in my chest I had to stop taking it (sadly).

The way you describe the relief from the pain is the way I felt back in about 2005 when I tried to stop taking Neurontin and oh did I ever spend a terrible July 4th that year. I was at the beach and the pain just kept getting worse and worse (in my legs) with that gnawing burning cramping pain.

Finally the next day I took the Neurontin again and OMG.. the relief was near instant or so it seemed. I never thought I was going to be able to stop taking this drug...

Anyway, Celebrex is a Cox 2 inhibitor as I recall? I have had it offered to me a number of times since I cannot take Vioxx but since it has a sulfa component I cannot take it.

Your pain in the feet sounds neuropathic in nature but the pain that is zapping and like bolt of lightening doesn't. I have had that in the past as well but I think between the Methadone, Neurontin and ESIs that pain got under control and actually "stopped" as did the burning neuropathies of many years.

I hope someone that actually answers your question will reply tho I did wonder if the pain was more arthritic in nature (as with the swelling you mentioned) or neuropathic or a mix sort of ???

Last edited by Maria; 09-09-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:40 PM

Well I've been back on Celebrex for 2 days and my pain is controlled once again. Actually the lightening bolts in a nerve pain. My pm explained it to me when my left leg was doing it's thing but I was on N at the time and barely remembered my name.

With too many people needing this type of drug for various reasons, you'd think something safer would be available. If I have come to accept this disability within myself, surely there should be a drug to help without causing harm! Just a little rant to vent my anger - forgive me.

OMG, I just looked outside and it's raining! Now my asthma will go into high gear too!

BTW, I hope no one was affected by that blackout the other night. It was hot.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:23 AM

Dale, i have been on percocet for 3 years now and that is not a good thing either. i'm sorry you had such a horrible time when you tried to quit.
glad you are in less pain now,
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 09-11-2011, 05:01 AM
Administrator

Getting old sucks. Diane and I both notice that when we ruduce the NSAIDS... it's not just our spine issues that get worse, but also our knees, ankles, ect...

She's 3.5 years post-op from her L4-5-S1 ProDisc and has always been off all pain meds, but sometimes on NSAIDS. In the last year or year and a half, she says her lumbar problems are almost 100% gone. But she does have cervical issues that don't rise anywhere near the level of having surgery.

I have had short stints off the NSAIDS, but rarely last too long. I had many years on Voltaren, a brief period on Celebrex, but have been on Mobic for > a year. I have to knock it off for a week before my upcoming ESI, and don't look forward to it!

Good luck... talk to you soon.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-15-2011, 03:19 PM

Default controlled use

with controlled use it should not hurt to take celebrex. i take 200 mg daily with breakfast; so far so good.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:56 PM

For me, so far so good. I worry about the longer term effects, specifically, strokes and heart attacks. These known side effects would not be a factor if I no longer took the drug and though nothing may ever happen, I still worry.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:29 AM

Default a reminder

Just reading this thread reminds me that perhaps I should be inquiring about something for my various aches/pains that are arthritic. I've not been able to take Nsaids for many years now and relief w/Vioxx was wonderful albeit shortlived (chest pain and pulled from market).

I notice my hands are more bothersome esp. at certain times. It's been a bit damp today and both hands/fingers hurt esp. with activity such as this (keystroke).
Old 09-17-2011, 03:38 PM

Though I've said it in the past, it bears repeating - aging sucks! Now that I think about it, maybe that's why my back has been tight all week.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:09 PM

Default the reward

What's that saying about aging gracefully.. Surely that has to mean my dog thinks I'm pretty or my cats love me just the way I am
Old 09-17-2011, 09:05 PM
Administrator

I've always had a cast-iron stomache and meds never bothered me. A couple of years ago, it seemed like the long-term NSAID use was beginning to take it's toll. The doc started me on PROTONIX. I don't now if the GERD type of symptoms I was beginning to see was just a blip, or if the PROTONIX nipped in the bud, but I have not had a problem with those types of symptoms since I started on it.

I'm a couple of days into stopping the Mobic for the ESI... no horrible pain yet. (But, how would I know since I'm really having a lot of high pain levels ever day anyway???)

I just thought I'd mention the PPI (proton pump inhibitor, protonix, pantoprozole) as part of the NSAID discussion because it is an integrale part of NSAID decisions for many people.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-18-2011, 04:52 PM

Default thanks

Mark,
thanks for bringing that up. My PCP rarely hears me complain about my back or anything much for that matter as I have a tendancy to ride things out like the aching fingers or whatever unless it stops me cold in my tracks. Maybe I'll remember to ask her about it if I think I definately need an Nsaid or similar type of med to help w/arthritic symptoms. Usually being active helps the arthtitis like symptoms I have or so far fortunately.

Sounds like you're hurting quite a bit. Sorry to hear that and hope that the ESI helps
Old 09-18-2011, 11:33 PM

Mark,
I am sorry to hear you are in a lot of pain. I too hope this next ESI helps as much as my last one did. It was great for me.

I was on protonix for years and am now on aciphex. I wish the stuff wasn't so darn expensive. My stomach was ruined thanks to a Kaiser doctor in Georgia who just told me i had scoliosis and lordosis and no one he said would give me injections or do anything , i just had to live on anti inflammatories. WEll i was uneducated on back problems back then so i took them.
Then GERD hit and i still have it, i wonder if it is for life.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 09-18-2011, 11:41 PM

I take prevacid and it all started from using my inversion table. Yeah, I think it's for life but there is also a surgical procedure available for some.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:57 PM

My gastro doc did tell me that there is some type of surgery available. Researchers are now linking ppi use (at least aciphex that i am on) to loss in bone density.
He saw my broken neck the fist time he told me i might be a candidate for surgery, but hated to even say that word in front of me. I guess i will see how much i lost in March. Although they cannot get a reading from my spine as there is too much metal in me.
They used my hip and my wrist.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 09-19-2011, 03:25 PM

Default Gerd

I've been on something for my GI system for about 20 plus years. I also was taking Nsaids back when had first knee surgery, first injured my spine and so forth on regular basis. Back then there wasn't the emphasis on taking it with food so didn't bother. Yes that caught up w/my stomach so Nsaids were discontinued and attempts to renew intake has usually created problems quickly.

I go off and on my GI med. Mostly on I must admit. I think it may be one of those "lifetime drugs." I do experiment w/healthier diet in terms of foods that won't create problems although some things work better to help with certain bodily functions like elimination so I eat according to that and then I find that my urinary system is affected as well by the foods that I eat (interstitial cystitis) so I'm supposed to eat only certain foods w/this condition and I find I cannot fully comply there either.

Arrghhhh.. aging sucks as mentioned before... then again as I said my dog thinks I'm pretty (?) and my cats love me just the way I am(?)?? and they don't give a $%&^@ about my aging aches and pains or at least they don't complain about my wrinkles, the number of times I have stop and pee while out, weight gain on hips, tum, or butt.. etc!
Old 09-21-2011, 02:37 AM

Those pets are the best. I have 2 dogs and a cat. I can't say i have befriended the snake though. The furry ones are better in my mind for love.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery